Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Front load washer and dryer

Hey

My wife and I are looking for a new washer and dryer, and are looking
at front loaders. A sales person at one store told my wife that they
do not recommend front loaders for a second floor laundry. I have not
heard this and was wondering if anyone has and the reason behind it.
My wife said that the sales person said something about the exhaust
vent makes the dryer work harder and breaks down earlier, and
something about them spinning to fast.

Can anyone validate this claim or give more insight to it?

Posted to misc.consumers.house

On Jun 14, 1:02 pm, wrote:
Hey

My wife and I are looking for a new washer and dryer, and are looking
at front loaders. A sales person at one store told my wife that they
do not recommend front loaders for a second floor laundry. I have not
heard this and was wondering if anyone has and the reason behind it.
My wife said that the sales person said something about the exhaust
vent makes the dryer work harder and breaks down earlier, and
something about them spinning to fast.

Can anyone validate this claim or give more insight to it?

Nearly all dryers are front-load. I think the exhaust vent thing is
probably
garbage, although without knowing in more detail what the salesman
said,
it's difficult to say.

Front-load washers can be prone to greater vibration than top-load
washers.
If the floor is not beefy enough, the washer can potentially move
around
quite a bit, or at least be extremely noisy.

I've got my front-load washer on the concrete floor in the basement.
In my
experience the front-load washer is much quieter than the top-loader
that
it replaced. I like it, except that it grows mold under the soap
dispenser
and I think on the bottom of the door. I recently discovered the soap
dispenser
mold; I've had the washer for a year and the amount mold was small.
I'm sure
that now that I'm aware of it, I can keep after it and it won't grow
at all.
Of course, it's possible that the top-loader grew mold, just in places
where
I couldn't see it.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Also, as we learned slightly the hard way, front loader washers are
VERY heavy, and a serious pain in the backside to move up a flight of
stairs. The poor delivery guy must have spent over an hour trying to
figure it out.

On Jun 14, 1:02 pm, wrote:
Hey

My wife and I are looking for a new washer and dryer, and are looking
at front loaders. A sales person at one store told my wife that they
do not recommend front loaders for a second floor laundry. I have not
heard this and was wondering if anyone has and the reason behind it.
My wife said that the sales person said something about the exhaust
vent makes the dryer work harder and breaks down earlier, and
something about them spinning to fast.

Can anyone validate this claim or give more insight to it?

Posted to misc.consumers.house

In article .com,
Andrew Duane wrote:
Also, as we learned slightly the hard way, front loader washers are
VERY heavy, and a serious pain in the backside to move up a flight of
stairs. The poor delivery guy must have spent over an hour trying to
figure it out.

Well, one solution would be to get one of these:

http://www.epinions.com/t-wm3677hw

At least then it is only one trip for the poor delivery guy! :-)

(It's a combo washer/dryer. Not those combos where they simply stack a
mini-washer and mini-dryer in one package, but rather they really are
combined. You've got one full-sized cylinder that you put the clothes
in, where they are washed and then dried. As someone pointed out in a
review, one really nice thing about that is that they can throw a load
of clothes in before bed, and have washed and dried clothes ready in the
morning--because there is no need to move the clothes from the washer to
the dryer).

--
--Tim Smith
Posted to misc.consumers.house

Tim Smith wrote:
In article .com,
Andrew Duane wrote:
[...]

I would only get that if you dont have the space for a washer and dryer.
Posted to misc.consumers.house

In article ,
says...

Well, one solution would be to get one of these:

http://www.epinions.com/t-wm3677hw

At least then it is only one trip for the poor delivery guy! :-)

(It's a combo washer/dryer. Not those combos where they simply stack a
mini-washer and mini-dryer in one package, but rather they really are
combined. You've got one full-sized cylinder that you put the clothes
in, where they are washed and then dried. As someone pointed out in a
review, one really nice thing about that is that they can throw a load
of clothes in before bed, and have washed and dried clothes ready in the
morning--because there is no need to move the clothes from the washer to
the dryer).

I have one of the LG combined units, and I'd never go back to separate
washer and dryer units. We have room for separate units, but the
convenience of the combined unit can't be beat. The energy savings are
a nice extra.

Getting it up the stairs wasn't much trouble, you just need two people
to do it -- I took the bottom end and my father-in-law took the top, and
we carried it up the stairs. The only difficulty was the fault of the
house, not the washer: our steep old staircase is so narrow we had to
take the hand rail off to fit the machine. Still, it was easier than
getting a queen-sized mattress up the stairs!

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/