Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

rosie read n' post

Default best toilet?

we are going to be installing new toilets in our
remodel......................
is anyone familiar with AMERICAN STANDARD:
http://www.americanstandard-us.com/p...best_flush.asp

it sounds like the best choice, and certainly more reasonably priced
that KOHLER.

anyone?
suggestions?

Percival P. Cassidy

We replaced two of our old water-wasting 3-4gal. toilets that often
needed multiple flushes by AS Champions that have never needed more than
one flush.

One did have a problem with a leaking seal at the bottom of the flush
tower, but AS sent a whole package of new seals free.

If you have both Lowe's and HD nearby, check the prices of the bowl and
tank separately at both stores. Around here the combined price was
almost the same ($1 different), but one had the bowl priced lower, and
the other had the tank priced lower.

Perce

On 04/18/05 09:43 am rosie read n' post tossed the following ingredients
into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

we are going to be installing new toilets in our
remodel......................
is anyone familiar with AMERICAN STANDARD:
http://www.americanstandard-us.com/p...best_flush.asp

it sounds like the best choice, and certainly more reasonably priced
that KOHLER.

anyone?
suggestions?

Bob Rahe

In article ,
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
We replaced two of our old water-wasting 3-4gal. toilets that often
needed multiple flushes by AS Champions that have never needed more than
one flush.

One did have a problem with a leaking seal at the bottom of the flush
tower, but AS sent a whole package of new seals free.

If you have both Lowe's and HD nearby, check the prices of the bowl and
tank separately at both stores. Around here the combined price was
almost the same ($1 different), but one had the bowl priced lower, and
the other had the tank priced lower.

And hope they stock the one you want. Around here they were only
stocking a white, 'right height' (16"). About $250. But... if you want
a color (like bone) and normal height, elongated they were special order
and would go for over $400.... We checked since that was the price
our builder quoted... 8-( And you can get deals on the net as well but..
shipping can run to over $100!
--
---------------------------------------------------------------------_------
|Bob Rahe, MIEEE, (RWR50) / ASCII ribbon campaign ( ) |
John Weiss

"rosie read n' post" wrote...
we are going to be installing new toilets in our
remodel......................
is anyone familiar with AMERICAN STANDARD:
http://www.americanstandard-us.com/p...best_flush.asp

it sounds like the best choice, and certainly more reasonably priced
that KOHLER.

Price may be a consideration, but think about how long you will be using the
toilet -- likely for as long as you own the house! Noise, flushing
efficiency, and water usage are the significant considerations, and comfort
may also be one.

After a lot of research, including Terry Love's site at
http://www.terrylove.com/crtoilet.htm, we chose the Toto Drake ADA height.
IMO, it has the best combination of features available, at a price not too
far into the atmosphere.

In this case you DO get what you pay for -- real engineering to solve real
problems (noise, water use, flushing ability).

rosie read n' post

thanks!

--
is that really FISH?
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/americ....ap/index.html

:
[...]

rosie read n' post

thanks!

--
is that really FISH?
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/americ....ap/index.html

"Bob Rahe" wrote in message
: In article ,
: Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
[...]
: --
: ------------------------------------------------------------------
---_------
: |Bob Rahe, MIEEE, (RWR50) / ASCII ribbon
campaign ( ) |
: |Delaware Technical & Community College / - against HTML
email X |
: |Computer Center, Dover, Delaware / &
vCards / \ |
: ------------------------------------------------------------------
----------

rosie read n' post

wow, what a site...................THANKS!

--
is that really FISH?
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/americ....ap/index.html

"John Weiss" wrote in message
: "rosie read n' post" wrote...
[...]

Percival P. Cassidy

On 04/18/05 11:55 am Bob Rahe tossed the following ingredients into the
[...]

Well, both white and "right height" were just what we wanted. Recently
we were house guests in a brand new condo and were surprised to find
that it had the old-style uncomfortable wrong-height toilets, when for a
comparatively low additional cost (in proportion to the whole) they
could have had comfortable ones.

Perce

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 13:43:57 GMT, someone wrote:

it sounds like the best choice,

BEST?

Best in what way, best for what, what are the criteria to constitute
"best"?

Cheapest?

Highest quality?

Lowest water consumption?

Most flush capacity?

Most durable?

Most prestigious?

Most features?

You are going to find some of these mutually exclusive - therefore,
what would be BEST to you????

GC

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 10:47:22 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

[...]

Ditto on the A S champion.Bought one few months ago,works better than
any old style toilet I've had.

John Weiss

"GC" wrote...

Ditto on the A S champion.Bought one few months ago,works better than
any old style toilet I've had.

According to Terry Love, the Champion is good, but the Totos' single-flush
capabilities are 50%+ better (http://www.terrylove.com/crtoilet.htm).
Prices are similar for equivalent models.

Also read owners' comments about the Champions. They may be fixed by now,
but it appears they are more troublesome than the Toto Drakes.

GC

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 08:01:29 -0700, "John Weiss"
wrote:

"GC" wrote...

Ditto on the A S champion.Bought one few months ago,works better than
any old style toilet I've had.

According to Terry Love, the Champion is good, but the Totos' single-flush
capabilities are 50%+ better (http://www.terrylove.com/crtoilet.htm).
Prices are similar for equivalent models.

Also read owners' comments about the Champions. They may be fixed by now,
but it appears they are more troublesome than the Toto Drakes.

Yeah,I believe it was a problem with a seal at the bottom of the
tank,which people were having problems with it leaking.I read
somewhere the old seals were orange,and the newer,fixed versions are
red.

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 08:01:29 -0700, someone wrote:

According to Terry Love....

Who is "Terry Love"....

John Weiss

"v" wrote...
On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 08:01:29 -0700, someone wrote:

According to Terry Love....

Who is "Terry Love"....

Find out by Googling "Terry Love toilet".

Eric Tonks

Hate those builder special tiny toilets with round bowls. OK for females but
don't fit the male anatomy. I don't like parts of my body contacting the
inside of the bowl.

If you want a good toilet, try a Toto "Drake" toilet. They come in a couple
of heights, as well as round and elongated.

[...]

Debbie the Dogged

In article ,
says...
"GC" wrote...

Ditto on the A S champion.Bought one few months ago,works better than
any old style toilet I've had.

According to Terry Love, the Champion is good, but the Totos' single-flush
capabilities are 50%+ better (
http://www.terrylove.com/crtoilet.htm).
Prices are similar for equivalent models.

Also read owners' comments about the Champions. They may be fixed by now,
but it appears they are more troublesome than the Toto Drakes.

I bought a low-end Toto commercial model (actually, I think it's the
cheapest one they offer in any line) about 4 - 5 years. I needed
something small because I have a tiny bathroom, and I wanted something
that was relatively inexpensive but still flushed well with only 1.8
gallons, and the salesguy at the local plumbing store raved about Totos.
He was right - I *love* it. Flushes far better than the mid-80's 3.5
gallon one the previous owners installed. No problems with it at all.
--
Debbie the Dogged das at spamcop dot net
"Poodles are space aliens who think they've disguised
jilliesmother

Last year Consumerworld.org did a report on the best toilets, they
recommended 3 brands. Unfortunately I can only remember the Toto brand
(because of the Wizard of Oz). If you contact them they may be able to
get you a copy of the report.