Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Intermittent OBD2 connector.

I have a 1997 Subaru Legacy. When I plug in my scanner to the OBD2 port,
the slightest little jiggle in the cable will kill the power to the
scanner and then it has to reboot. I've tried another scanner and it
does the same thing. Is there an easy way to tighten up the pins in the
car's OBD2 port so that it stops cutting out?

Thanks for your replies.

--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 29/04/2021 17:08, David Farber wrote:
I have a 1997 Subaru Legacy. When I plug in my scanner to the OBD2 port,
the slightest little jiggle in the cable will kill the power to the
scanner and then it has to reboot. I've tried another scanner and it
does the same thing. Is there an easy way to tighten up the pins in the
car's OBD2 port so that it stops cutting out?

It's old. Maybe the surface has got some contaminant.

Contact cleaner spray?

--
Adrian C
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 4/29/2021 3:08 PM, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 29/04/2021 17:08, David Farber wrote:
I have a 1997 Subaru Legacy. When I plug in my scanner to the OBD2
port, the slightest little jiggle in the cable will kill the power to
the scanner and then it has to reboot. I've tried another scanner and
it does the same thing. Is there an easy way to tighten up the pins in
the car's OBD2 port so that it stops cutting out?

It's old. Maybe the surface has got some contaminant.

Contact cleaner spray?

I think I already tried the DexIt spray. It's been touchy for so long, I
don't remember. I'll give it another shot.

Thanks for your reply.

--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2021/04/29 4:59 p.m., David Farber wrote:
On 4/29/2021 3:08 PM, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 29/04/2021 17:08, David Farber wrote:
I have a 1997 Subaru Legacy. When I plug in my scanner to the OBD2
port, the slightest little jiggle in the cable will kill the power to
the scanner and then it has to reboot. I've tried another scanner and
it does the same thing. Is there an easy way to tighten up the pins
in the car's OBD2 port so that it stops cutting out?

It's old. Maybe the surface has got some contaminant.

Contact cleaner spray?

I think I already tried the DexIt spray. It's been touchy for so long, I
don't remember. I'll give it another shot.

Thanks for your reply.

--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Replacement OBD2 plugs/sockets are readily available, as are videos on
youtube on how to replace it. It is probably not worth farting around
with the plug unless you have the correct pin extraction and crimping tools.

Most connectors are good for 20 to 100 insertions after that they
deteriorate gradually or rapidly...

John :-#)#
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 4/29/2021 5:42 PM, John Robertson wrote:

[...]

So if I'm not extracting and crimping in new pins, how am I connecting
the old wires to the new plug? It occurred to me that if the entire
display is going blank, that would indicate that the 12V supply pin
and/or the ground pin is cutting out. Correct? That shouldn't be too
hard figure out. I do find it amazing that after 20-100 insertions, the
plug's integrity would be compromised.

Thanks for your reply.

--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2021/04/29 6:48 p.m., David Farber wrote:
[...]

The spec sheets for crimp pins and connectors is eye opening...many
Molex pin connectors are only rated for 25 connections - after that it
is anyone's guess how long they will last. Amp and other connectors are
much the same.

Heck even electrical outlets start to fail after 50 or so insertions -
ever notice how a socket you use for the coffee pot feels looser and the
plug seems warmer than it did when they were new?

John :-#)#
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 4/30/2021 2:35 AM, John Robertson wrote:
[snip]
Heck even electrical outlets start to fail after 50 or so insertions -
ever notice how a socket you use for the coffee pot feels looser and the
plug seems warmer than it did when they were new?

In my limited experience (sample size of 1) that's not true. I have a
toaster that I only plug in when I use it. Which is 1-2 times a week,
for 20(?) years: 1000 or 2000 times & no noticeable looseness.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 5/1/2021 5:53 AM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
On 4/30/2021 2:35 AM, John Robertson wrote:
[snip]
Heck even electrical outlets start to fail after 50 or so insertions -

ever notice how a socket you use for the coffee pot feels looser and
the plug seems warmer than it did when they were new?

In my limited experience (sample size of 1) that's not true.Â* I have a
toaster that I only plug in when I use it.Â* Which is 1-2 times a week,
for 20(?) years: 1000 or 2000 times & no noticeable looseness.

That anecdotal report agrees with my findings as well. :-)

Thanks for your reply.

--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2021/05/01 8:47 a.m., David Farber wrote:
On 5/1/2021 5:53 AM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
On 4/30/2021 2:35 AM, John Robertson wrote:
[snip]
Heck even electrical outlets start to fail after 50 or so insertions -

ever notice how a socket you use for the coffee pot feels looser and
the plug seems warmer than it did when they were new?

In my limited experience (sample size of 1) that's not true.Â* I have a
toaster that I only plug in when I use it.Â* Which is 1-2 times a week,
for 20(?) years: 1000 or 2000 times & no noticeable looseness.

That anecdotal report agrees with my findings as well. :-)

Thanks for your reply.

--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Yeah, I hear you. I can't find a PDF on life expectancy of NEMA 5-15
plugs/receptacles (North America), but my experience is perhaps 100 to
200 insertions one starts to notice the socket doesn't grab the plug as
well. Our kitchen has an outlet that we tend to plug the toaster (a few
times a week) in and after ten years it is noticeably less well held
than the outlet above it - which we now use.

If you leave a plug in an outlet there is no reason to assume it won't
last the rated 50+ years of a NEMA 5-15R, but my point was there is a
limit to the number of insertions beyond which any connector starts to fail.

John :-#)#

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Saturday, May 1, 2021 at 12:37:34 PM UTC-4, John Robertson wrote:
If you leave a plug in an outlet there is no reason to assume it won't
last the rated 50+ years of a NEMA 5-15R, but my point was there is a
limit to the number of insertions beyond which any connector starts to fail.

John :-#)#

My employer switched us all to laptops because we're teleworking half time each. So we have the computer in a docking station at one location with connection via an USB-C, and at home just on a power cord and wifi. That's a lot of connecting and unconnecting on the USB-C. Figure 200 plus work days in the office with an insertion/outsertion cycle daily; i wonder when they will get flakey.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Tim R wrote:
On Saturday, May 1, 2021 at 12:37:34 PM UTC-4, John Robertson wrote:
If you leave a plug in an outlet there is no reason to assume it won't
last the rated 50+ years of a NEMA 5-15R, but my point was there is a
limit to the number of insertions beyond which any connector starts to fail.

John :-#)#

My employer switched us all to laptops because we're teleworking half time each. So we have the computer in a docking station at one location with connection via an USB-C, and at home just on a power cord and wifi. That's a lot of connecting and unconnecting on the USB-C. Figure 200 plus work days in the office with an insertion/outsertion cycle daily; i wonder when they will get flakey.

That often depends more on the lateral forces you apply to the connector
than on the number of insertion cycles.

You can insert it quite a number of times, but one inadvertent jerk because
someone steps on the powercord which hangs from the device at the edge of
the table to the floor and it is gone.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 03 May 2021 14:06:52 GMT, Rob wrote:

Tim R wrote:
[...]

Not if it's using Magsafe.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 3 May 2021 06:02:35 -0700 (PDT), Tim R
wrote:

On Saturday, May 1, 2021 at 12:37:34 PM UTC-4, John Robertson wrote:
If you leave a plug in an outlet there is no reason to assume it won't
last the rated 50+ years of a NEMA 5-15R, but my point was there is a
limit to the number of insertions beyond which any connector starts to fail.

John :-#)#

My employer switched us all to laptops because we're teleworking half time each. So we have the computer in a docking station at one location with connection via an USB-C, and at home just on a power cord and wifi. That's a lot of connecting and unconnecting on the USB-C. Figure 200 plus work days in the office with an insertion/outsertion cycle daily; i wonder when they will get flakey.

You don't want to find out - it will invariably mean lost data.

Keeping them clean is of top importance. Once dust, grit or
grease gets into the equation, replacement may be the only
reliable option.

Ratings for power connectors have reduced insertion counts
because they involve monitored voltage drops at high current.
Obviously, use at less current or for shorter time periods
will mask their reduced ability for cntinuous rated use.
As long as it doesn't burn before the toast pops, you're
satisfied.

Signal connections are a different story and require different
materials and test methods. Again, as long as the pins you
need work, while you're using them, you're happy.

Combined signal and power (ie USB) are a can of worms, though often
only one function may be required of a multipurpose connection at
one time.

RL