Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OBD2 ECU Memory Saver

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OBD2-Auto...53.m2749.l2649

anybody use one of these ?...are they safe?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/06/2020 11:47, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OBD2-Auto...53.m2749.l2649

anybody use one of these ?...are they safe?

oh well ordered one anyway ....

https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 14 Jun 2020 11:47:38 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OBD2-Auto...Saver-OBD-12V-
Battery-Replace-Tool-Extended-Cable/292763616836?ssPageName=
STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

anybody use one of these ?...are they safe?

Donno, I just made up a open end to lighter plug made sure the
lighter socket was powered and connected a 12 V SLA to the open ends.
With a modern car one might have to be quick changing the main
battery as they have a habit of going to sleep after a while and
might switch off the lighter socket...

I guess the ODBII power line is less likely to be turned off. Or find
other unswitced/secure +V and Gnd points, obvoious place is the
around the battery terminals but there is a chnace that one
connection might get dislodged whilst faffing about with the
battery...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/06/2020 20:48, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 14 Jun 2020 11:47:38 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OBD2-Auto...Saver-OBD-12V-
Battery-Replace-Tool-Extended-Cable/292763616836?ssPageName=
STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

anybody use one of these ?...are they safe?

Donno, I just made up a open end to lighter plug made sure the
lighter socket was powered and connected a 12 V SLA to the open ends.
With a modern car one might have to be quick changing the main
battery as they have a habit of going to sleep after a while and
might switch off the lighter socket...

I guess the ODBII power line is less likely to be turned off. Or find
other unswitced/secure +V and Gnd points, obvoious place is the
around the battery terminals but there is a chnace that one
connection might get dislodged whilst faffing about with the
battery...

but shirley you connect to another battery ? ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/06/2020 20:48, Dave Liquorice wrote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OBD2-Auto...Saver-OBD-12V-
Battery-Replace-Tool-Extended-Cable/292763616836?ssPageName=
STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Yes you definitely need one. If you remove the battery your car's
computer will delete all its programming and you will never be able to
start your car again without getting it back to the main dealer for a
repair costing maybe £1000!

You are now powering your whole car through those two little pins on the
OBD connector. You will possible do more than £5 in damage if it draws
too much current.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/06/2020 12:13, alan_m wrote:
On 14/06/2020 20:48, Dave Liquorice wrote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OBD2-Auto...Saver-OBD-12V-
Battery-Replace-Tool-Extended-Cable/292763616836?ssPageName=
STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Yes you definitely need one. If you remove the battery your car's
computer will delete all its programming and you will never be able to
start your car again without getting it back to the main dealer for a
repair costing maybe £1000!

think THAT is a slight exaggeration ....

You are now powering your whole car through those two little pins on the
OBD connector. You will possible do more than £5 in damage if it draws
too much current.

you think ? ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

What a stupid ignorant **** you are

You are now powering your whole car through those two little pins on the
OBD connector. You will possible do more than £5 in damage if it draws
too much current.

--
In todays liberal progressive conflict-free education system, everyone
gets full Marx.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/06/2020 12:13, alan_m wrote:
Yes you definitely need one. If you remove the battery your car's
computer will delete all its programming and you will never be able to
start your car again without getting it back to the main dealer for a
repair costing maybe £1000!

What a stupid ignorant **** you are

You are now powering your whole car through those two little pins on
the OBD connector. You will possible do more than £5 in damage if it
draws too much current.

I thought that .....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 14 Jun 2020 20:48:54 +0100, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sun, 14 Jun 2020 11:47:38 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OBD2-Auto...Saver-OBD-12V-
Battery-Replace-Tool-Extended-Cable/292763616836?ssPageName=
STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

anybody use one of these ?...are they safe?

Donno, I just made up a open end to lighter plug made sure the lighter
socket was powered and connected a 12 V SLA to the open ends.
With a modern car one might have to be quick changing the main battery
as they have a habit of going to sleep after a while and might switch
off the lighter socket...

I guess the ODBII power line is less likely to be turned off. Or find
other unswitced/secure +V and Gnd points, obvoious place is the around
the battery terminals but there is a chnace that one connection might
get dislodged whilst faffing about with the battery...

My car started and ran ok after removing the battery for a couple of
weeks, must have non volatile memory in the ECU.
..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/06/2020 12:13:27, alan_m wrote:
On 14/06/2020 20:48, Dave Liquorice wrote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OBD2-Auto...Saver-OBD-12V-
Battery-Replace-Tool-Extended-Cable/292763616836?ssPageName=
STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Yes you definitely need one. If you remove the battery your car's
computer will delete all its programming and you will never be able to
start your car again without getting it back to the main dealer for a
repair costing maybe £1000!

Please name the car that does this. All that I have come across work
perfectly well after removing the battery. The major pain is resetting
the radio etc.

You are now powering your whole car through those two little pins on the
OBD connector. You will possible do more than £5 in damage if it draws
too much current.

That depends on the wiring, but while that may be a concern, the current
draw with everything turned off would normally be measured in mA.

If you believe otherwise provide the evidence.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/06/2020 13:27, Smolley wrote:
[...]

.

Only thing my old freelander needed was radio recoding

Only time I have heard of a car failing to go after a battery
disconnection is when a major sensor array has been replaced as part of
a service. Some parts are manufacturer specific unless you know the magic.

--
Labour - a bunch of rich people convincing poor people to vote for rich
people by telling poor people that "other" rich people are the reason

Peter Thompson
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 15/06/2020 12:13, alan_m wrote:
Yes you definitely need one. If you remove the battery your car's
computer will delete all its programming and you will never be able to
start your car again without getting it back to the main dealer for a
repair costing maybe £1000!

What a stupid ignorant **** you are

Whoosh.

You are now powering your whole car through those two little pins on the
OBD connector. You will possible do more than £5 in damage if it draws
too much current.

*Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Smolley wrote:
[...]

Quite. Never had a car that was worried about being powered down totally.
Except for losing relatively unimportant things like the radio station
memory.

If it does get rid and buy a properly designed one.
.

--
*The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
On 14/06/2020 20:48, Dave Liquorice wrote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OBD2-Auto...Saver-OBD-12V-
Battery-Replace-Tool-Extended-Cable/292763616836?ssPageName=
STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Yes you definitely need one. If you remove the battery your car's
computer will delete all its programming and you will never be able to
start your car again without getting it back to the main dealer for a
repair costing maybe £1000!

my car started perfectly after having had teH battery disconn3cted for 6+
weeks. It's what the manual tells you todo.

You are now powering your whole car through those two little pins on the
OBD connector. You will possible do more than £5 in damage if it draws
too much current.

from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/06/2020 13:36, Fredxx wrote:
On 15/06/2020 12:13:27, alan_m wrote:
On 14/06/2020 20:48, Dave Liquorice wrote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OBD2-Auto...Saver-OBD-12V-
Battery-Replace-Tool-Extended-Cable/292763616836?ssPageName=
STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Yes you definitely need one. If you remove the battery your car's
computer will delete all its programming and you will never be able to
start your car again without getting it back to the main dealer for a
repair costing maybe £1000!

Please name the car that does this. All that I have come across work
perfectly well after removing the battery. The major pain is resetting
the radio etc.

Woosh

No car does that's why you don't this piece of crap.

All it does is apply whatever voltage you connect the leads to into the
power pins of the OBD socket to supply the ECU, and the rest of the car.
Its effectivly just two pieces of wire!

You are now powering your whole car through those two little pins on
the OBD connector. You will possible do more than £5 in damage if it
draws too much current.

That depends on the wiring, but while that may be a concern, the current
draw with everything turned off would normally be measured in mA.

If you believe otherwise provide the evidence.

If when removing the car's battery you accidentally short the +ve
battery lead to the chassis you will short circuit the supply you have
just connected to the OBD socket. I wonder what current will then
flow?down the car's internal wiring?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

still have to relearn a few things though .....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/06/2020 15:53, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

My car started and ran ok after removing the battery for a couple of
weeks, must have non volatile memory in the ECU.
.

still have to relearn a few things though .....

But nothing that important. It may run rougher for 10 to 15 minutes but
I guess most people wouldn't notice.

Go and find a Youtube video to show that these things work
One shows that after connecting one of these devices, then disconnecting
and re-connecting the car's battery all the engine sensors are still
connected to the ECU and still working !!!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
My car started and ran ok after removing the battery for a couple of
weeks, must have non volatile memory in the ECU.
.

still have to relearn a few things though .....

What would that be, Jim? It may revert to ignition timing for low octane
fuel, until the knock sensors tell it otherwise. An auto gearbox might
learn how you normally drive to some extent. But all that sort of thing
would update very quickly.

--
*And the cardiologist' s diet: - If it tastes good spit it out.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/06/2020 16:31, alan_m wrote:
On 15/06/2020 15:53, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

My car started and ran ok after removing the battery for a couple of
weeks, must have non volatile memory in the ECU.
.

still have to relearn a few things though .....

But nothing that important. It may run rougher for 10 to 15 minutes but
I guess most people wouldn't notice.

Go and find a Youtube video to show that these things work
One shows that after connecting one of these devices, then disconnecting
and re-connecting the car's battery all the engine sensors are still
connected to the ECU and still working !!!!

yes but are they 100% safe ....guess I will find out as I ordered the
cheapest one from chinky land.....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
My car started and ran ok after removing the battery for a couple of
weeks, must have non volatile memory in the ECU.
.

still have to relearn a few things though .....

What would that be, Jim? It may revert to ignition timing for low octane
fuel, until the knock sensors tell it otherwise. An auto gearbox might
learn how you normally drive to some extent. But all that sort of thing
would update very quickly.

em the door opening drop in the windows in the Mustang ...etc....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/06/2020 15:23:01, alan_m wrote:
On 15/06/2020 13:36, Fredxx wrote:
On 15/06/2020 12:13:27, alan_m wrote:
On 14/06/2020 20:48, Dave Liquorice wrote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OBD2-Auto...Saver-OBD-12V-
Battery-Replace-Tool-Extended-Cable/292763616836?ssPageName=
STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Yes you definitely need one. If you remove the battery your car's
computer will delete all its programming and you will never be able
to start your car again without getting it back to the main dealer
for a repair costing maybe £1000!

Please name the car that does this. All that I have come across work
perfectly well after removing the battery. The major pain is resetting
the radio etc.

Woosh

No car does that's why you don't this piece of crap.

So remind us, what idiot said, "If you remove the battery your car's
computer will delete all its programming and you will never be able to
start your car again without getting it back to the main dealer for a
repair costing maybe £1000!" and now they can't provide the evidence to
backup their silly claim up.

All it does is apply whatever voltage you connect the leads to into the
power pins of the OBD socket to supply the ECU, and the rest of the car.
Its effectivly just two pieces of wire!

You are now powering your whole car through those two little pins on
the OBD connector. You will possible do more than £5 in damage if it
draws too much current.

That depends on the wiring, but while that may be a concern, the
current draw with everything turned off would normally be measured in mA.

If you believe otherwise provide the evidence.

If when removing the car's battery you accidentally short the +ve
battery lead to the chassis you will short circuit the supply you have
just connected to the OBD socket. I wonder what current will then
flow?down the car's internal wiring?

Then tell us, what will limit the current?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Jun 2020 11:27:24 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Or find other unswitced/secure +V and Gnd points, obvoious place

is the
around the battery terminals but there is a chnace that one
connection might get dislodged whilst faffing about with the
battery...

but shirley you connect to another battery ? ...

Yes but if one of the temporary wires connecting that falls off with
the main battery disconnected...

I think the reason I did it was partly proof of concept but mainly
because didn't know the radio code. The Disco II would take about 100
miles to "re-learn" the engine and my driving style. Freelander II is
much quicker, barely noticeable unless you want a quick take off
within the first few miles when it won't have quite the normal amount
of GO!

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 14/06/2020 20:48, Dave Liquorice wrote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OBD2-Auto...Saver-OBD-12V-
Battery-Replace-Tool-Extended-Cable/292763616836?ssPageName=
STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Yes you definitely need one. If you remove the battery your car's computer
will delete all its programming and you will never be able to start your
car again without getting it back to the main dealer for a repair costing
maybe £1000!

Thats bull****. I have replaced my battery twice now and the
only very minor quirk was that the radio needs an unlock code.

You are now powering your whole car through those two little pins on the
OBD connector.

But the whole car is **** all when you are only powering
what get powered when the car has been turned off.

You will possible do more than £5 in damage if it draws too much current.

But easy to ensure that it doesnt.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Jun 2020 17:20:46 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID: