Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

Default Anyone know of an inexpensive K+CAN obd2 diagnostic cable (orK+DCAN) with pins 7 and 8 intact?

On Sat, 07 Sep 2013 11:58:51 -0400, Nate Nagel wrote:

I would recommend checking at Bimmerfest or similar if you don't get a
quick answer here.

Thanks Nate.

I'll move the discussion there as I hadn't realized so few here know
anything about using diagnostic software to troubleshoot issues.

The great thing about bimmers and beemers is that the same exploded
diagrams and diagnostic tools that the dealer has is available to
everyone.

So I would think almost everyone who owns the 1997 to 2003 5-series
BMW would already know about which dual-K KCAN cables work best with
INPA, DIS, & EDIABAS.

Having the same tools as the dealer makes working on bimmers easier,
especially since anyone owning one could go broke if they didn't do
their own diagnostic scans and DIY mechanical work themselves.

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 07 Sep 2013 21:47:28 +0000, Jordan wrote:

So I would think almost everyone who owns the 1997 to 2003 5-series BMW
would already know about which dual-K KCAN cables work best with INPA,
DIS, & EDIABAS.

Fleabay should have them.

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On 09/13/2013 04:04 AM, Eddie Powalski wrote:
On Sat, 07 Sep 2013 21:47:28 +0000, Jordan wrote:

So I would think almost everyone who owns the 1997 to 2003 5-series BMW
would already know about which dual-K KCAN cables work best with INPA,
DIS, & EDIABAS.

Fleabay should have them.

I've heard tell that some of them are good, some not so much. I do have
to admit to having a $30 eBay cable, but I can't recommend it to the OP
because his car is older and it won't work on his. I've also heard of
eBay cables just not working.

This one:

http://www.one-stop-electronics.com/...&product_id=16

is the one that is consistently recommended on E90Post as being pro
quality, guaranteed to work. However again that won't work for the OP,
but presumably OSE offers something else that will.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On 9/7/2013 4:47 PM, Jordan wrote:
So I would think almost everyone who owns the 1997 to 2003 5-series
BMW would already know about which dual-K KCAN cables work best with
INPA, DIS, & EDIABAS.

I would think 99% of 5-series owners would not have a clue to what this
is all about. Heck, I have known some Bimmer owners who would not know
how to find and read a dipstick.

--
T0m $herm@n

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

Geoff Welsh said

T0m $herman wrote:
On 9/7/2013 4:47 PM, Jordan wrote:
So I would think almost everyone who owns the 1997 to 2003 5-series
BMW would already know about which dual-K KCAN cables work best
with INPA, DIS, & EDIABAS.

I would think 99% of 5-series owners would not have a clue to what
this is all about. Heck, I have known some Bimmer owners who would
not know how to find and read a dipstick.

I know several Bimmer owners who ARE dipsticks. :-)

+1 !

GW

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On 9/14/2013 8:05 PM, Homer.Simpson wrote:
Geoff Welsh said

T0m $herman wrote:
On 9/7/2013 4:47 PM, Jordan wrote:
So I would think almost everyone who owns the 1997 to 2003 5-series
BMW would already know about which dual-K KCAN cables work best
with INPA, DIS, & EDIABAS.

I would think 99% of 5-series owners would not have a clue to what
this is all about. Heck, I have known some Bimmer owners who would
not know how to find and read a dipstick.

I know several Bimmer owners who ARE dipsticks. :-)

+1 !

GW

I find Beemer owners to generally be of a better class than Bimmer owners.

--
T0m $herm@n
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

T0m $herman said

T0m $herman wrote:
On 9/7/2013 4:47 PM, Jordan wrote:
So I would think almost everyone who owns the 1997 to 2003
5-series BMW would already know about which dual-K KCAN cables
work best with INPA, DIS, & EDIABAS.

I would think 99% of 5-series owners would not have a clue to what
this is all about. Heck, I have known some Bimmer owners who would
not know how to find and read a dipstick.

I know several Bimmer owners who ARE dipsticks. :-)

+1 !

GW

I find Beemer owners to generally be of a better class than Bimmer
owners.

I could see that. It's harder to appear stuffy and aloof on a Beemer.

(Awaiting the flames this thread will surely create) :-)
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

T0m $herman said

T0m $herman wrote:
On 9/7/2013 4:47 PM, Jordan wrote:
So I would think almost everyone who owns the 1997 to 2003
5-series BMW would already know about which dual-K KCAN cables
work best with INPA, DIS, & EDIABAS.

I would think 99% of 5-series owners would not have a clue to what
this is all about. Heck, I have known some Bimmer owners who would
not know how to find and read a dipstick.

I know several Bimmer owners who ARE dipsticks. :-)

+1 !

GW

I find Beemer owners to generally be of a better class than Bimmer
owners.

I could see that. It's harder to appear stuffy and aloof on a Beemer.

(Awaiting the flames this thread will surely create) :-)

motorcycle people are generally a more aware section of society in
general. there's nothing like mortality awareness to keep your focus on
the stuff that matters.

--
fact check required
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On 09/14/2013 01:19 AM, T0m $herman wrote:
On 9/7/2013 4:47 PM, Jordan wrote:
So I would think almost everyone who owns the 1997 to 2003 5-series
BMW would already know about which dual-K KCAN cables work best with
INPA, DIS, & EDIABAS.

I would think 99% of 5-series owners would not have a clue to what this
is all about. Heck, I have known some Bimmer owners who would not know
how to find and read a dipstick.

Trick question - you check the oil level through the iDrive screen

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On 9/16/2013 2:51 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 09/14/2013 01:19 AM, T0m $herman wrote:
On 9/7/2013 4:47 PM, Jordan wrote:
So I would think almost everyone who owns the 1997 to 2003 5-series
BMW would already know about which dual-K KCAN cables work best with
INPA, DIS, & EDIABAS.

I would think 99% of 5-series owners would not have a clue to what this
is all about. Heck, I have known some Bimmer owners who would not know
how to find and read a dipstick.

Trick question - you check the oil level through the iDrive screen

nate

My brother thinks that the oil pressure light tells you when you need
oil. In a way, he's right, I suppose.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On 9/16/2013 7:51 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 09/14/2013 01:19 AM, T0m $herman wrote:
On 9/7/2013 4:47 PM, Jordan wrote:
So I would think almost everyone who owns the 1997 to 2003 5-series
BMW would already know about which dual-K KCAN cables work best with
INPA, DIS, & EDIABAS.

I would think 99% of 5-series owners would not have a clue to what this
is all about. Heck, I have known some Bimmer owners who would not know
how to find and read a dipstick.

Trick question - you check the oil level through the iDrive screen

nate

I prefer a dipstick to a sight glass - particularly on a motorcycle
without a center-stand. The dipstick also lets you see the color of the
oil.

Then there is Denise McCluggage, who reported having lots of men look at
her like she was stupid for having chains on the front wheels and
pouring oil in the gas tank - of course she was driving a SAAB 96.

--
T0m $herm@n
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

T0m $herman wrote:
On 9/7/2013 4:47 PM, Jordan wrote:
So I would think almost everyone who owns the 1997 to 2003 5-series
BMW would already know about which dual-K KCAN cables work best with
INPA, DIS, & EDIABAS.

I would think 99% of 5-series owners would not have a clue to what this
is all about. Heck, I have known some Bimmer owners who would not know
how to find and read a dipstick.

Sadly, this is generalizable to most car owners in general today.
--scott
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Sep 2013 00:19:51 -0500, T0m $herman wrote:

I would think 99% of 5-series owners would not have a clue to what this is
all about. Heck, I have known some Bimmer owners who would not know how
to find and read a dipstick.

I would agree but some bimmer owners do their own maintenance.

Maybe not as much as the beamer owners, but they can do dealer diagnostics
at home with INPA and they can code the vehicle in their garage.