Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default HD15 male to HD15 female cable with all pins wired

Does anyone know of an inexpensive source for an extension cable
like this? 2-6 feet. A VGA cable might work but often, these have
bridged grounds and/or some pins not connected.

Thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 01 Aug 2008 11:00:01 -0400, (Samuel M.
Goldwasser) wrote:

Does anyone know of an inexpensive source for an extension cable
like this? 2-6 feet. A VGA cable might work but often, these have
bridged grounds and/or some pins not connected.

Thanks.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:
http://www.repairfaq.org/

Try monoprice.com. Great service and the lowest prices. Chuck
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 01 Aug 2008 19:10:17 -0400, (Samuel M.
Goldwasser) wrote:

Jeff Liebermann writes:

On 01 Aug 2008 11:00:01 -0400,
(Samuel M.
Goldwasser) wrote:

Does anyone know of an inexpensive source for an extension cable
like this? 2-6 feet. A VGA cable might work but often, these have
bridged grounds and/or some pins not connected.

I found lots of HD15 extensions with Google, but all of them seem to
be monitor extensions with the bridged grounds and an indeterminate
number of wires.

Would a pair of HD15 insulation displacement connectors and a ribbon
cable in between work? It won't carry much current and the cross will
be horrendous.

For a short run (1-2 feet), that might be a good solution. But it would
probably be #28 wire, right? A couple of the wires may need to carry
as much as 1.5 A.

Not good. It's not the resistance or the fusing current of the wire
that causes problems. It's the insulation displacement connection.
Tiny forks, as found on HD15 connectors don't have much contact area.
All the current is going through what amounts to two sharp edges on
the IDC forks.

For IDC ribbon connectors, I use a rule-of-thumb of 1A maximum per
wire. A general data sheet agrees:
http://www.cwind.com/GenPDFs/CW-IDC+FlatCableSelGuide.pdf
I don't think 1.5A is going to work.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Samuel M. Goldwasser wrote:
Does anyone know of an inexpensive source for an extension cable
like this? 2-6 feet. A VGA cable might work but often, these have
bridged grounds and/or some pins not connected.

Can't help you there.
Just wanted to let you know your sig is broken:
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.e...e6896467a3edfd
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

JeffM writes:

Samuel M. Goldwasser wrote:
Does anyone know of an inexpensive source for an extension cable
like this? 2-6 feet. A VGA cable might work but often, these have
bridged grounds and/or some pins not connected.

Can't help you there.
Just wanted to let you know your sig is broken:
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.e...e6896467a3edfd

What's broken about it? I know it doesn't line up well with a
variable-width font but what besides that?

Thanks

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Samuel M. Goldwasser wrote:
Can't help you there.
Just wanted to let you know your sig is broken:

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.e...e6896467a3edfd

What's broken about it? I know it doesn't line up well with a
variable-width font but what besides that?

You're not using the approved sig separator which should be dash dash
space - see below.

--
*I don't suffer from insanity -- I'm a carrier

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:

In article ,
Samuel M. Goldwasser wrote:
Can't help you there.
Just wanted to let you know your sig is broken:

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.e...e6896467a3edfd

What's broken about it? I know it doesn't line up well with a
variable-width font but what besides that?

You're not using the approved sig separator which should be dash dash
space - see below.

Approved sig separator? Huh? I guess I'll have to recall my
35,000 or so posts over the last 15 years.

*I don't suffer from insanity -- I'm a carrier

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Samuel M. Goldwasser wrote:
You're not using the approved sig separator which should be dash dash
space - see below.

Approved sig separator? Huh? I guess I'll have to recall my
35,000 or so posts over the last 15 years.

It's been a standard for much longer than that. ;-)

--
*A dog's not just for Christmas, it's alright on a Friday night too*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
msg msg is offline

Samuel M. Goldwasser wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:

snip
You're not using the approved sig separator which should be dash dash
space - see below.

Approved sig separator? Huh? I guess I'll have to recall my
35,000 or so posts over the last 15 years.

snip

Indeed, I never paid attention to it before, but your 'sig' really
isn't a sig at all but inline text. In Netscape 7.x newsreader, the
sig will be a dim gray if the canonical separator precedes it; your
sig appears as standard inline text. For purposes of sorting and
filtering, the purpose of a signature is thus negated

Michael
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Samuel M. Goldwasser wrote:

Just wanted to let you know your sig is broken:
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.e...e6896467a3edfd

What's broken about it? I know it doesn't line up well with a
variable-width font but what besides that?

Without a "-- " preceeding your sig, most news readers won't properly
strip out that information in replies made to your posts.

Inside a thread with multiple participents it goes a bit mad. We've read
your sig once, please don't make us read it again a million times - or
I'll send you the bill for my new glasses ;-)

--
Adrian C