Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Remove cast iron tub intact?

I know the sledgehammer routine for removing tubs is the standard
answer but I'd like to remove this one intact.

I've got the bathroom down to studs, I've got the bathtub off the
floor and face down on a 4-wheel dolly. The bathroom is exactly 5'
wide its entire length and there's just not enough room to swing the
tub so I can shove it through the door.

It seems like the answer - short of removing wall studs - is to put
the tub back down on the floor, bottom down, and then tip the tub to
vertical, followed by tipping it back down face forward onto the
dolly.

Or is there some other way of doing this?

TIA

Tom Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

TomYoung wrote:
I know the sledgehammer routine for removing tubs is the standard
answer but I'd like to remove this one intact.

I've got the bathroom down to studs, I've got the bathtub off the
floor and face down on a 4-wheel dolly. The bathroom is exactly 5'
wide its entire length and there's just not enough room to swing the
tub so I can shove it through the door.

It seems like the answer - short of removing wall studs - is to put
the tub back down on the floor, bottom down, and then tip the tub to
vertical, followed by tipping it back down face forward onto the
dolly.

Or is there some other way of doing this?

TIA

Tom Young

probably not. I'd have a couple helpers for that job, and you might
want to measure to make sure it will even work. The tub may have been
moved in before the last wall was built.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

TomYoung wrote:
I know the sledgehammer routine for removing tubs is the standard
answer but I'd like to remove this one intact.

I've got the bathroom down to studs, I've got the bathtub off the
floor and face down on a 4-wheel dolly. The bathroom is exactly 5'
wide its entire length and there's just not enough room to swing the
tub so I can shove it through the door.

It seems like the answer - short of removing wall studs - is to put
the tub back down on the floor, bottom down, and then tip the tub to
vertical, followed by tipping it back down face forward onto the
dolly.

Or is there some other way of doing this?

TIA

Tom Young

Tub is under the window, huh?
Answer is 'it depends'. I think you are on the right track. Sometimes
the best thing to do is stand the tub on end, and walk it out of the
room like a refrigerator, or use a refrig dolly to move it from the face
side. Not seeing how the pads and braces under the tub, and the wall
studs, are laid out, I can't suggest how to rotate it in multiple
dimensions at once to english it out of there. In a tiny bath like that,
dollies are not always an option- sometimes 3 big guys and a lot of
grunting is the only answer. That is why contractor usually says
'sledgehammer and replace'.
Tub usually goes in first, and bathroom is built around it. Are you
saving to reuse in same spot, or elsewhere? Or do you need to rebuild
the floor frame and decking under it?

Don't give up- old iron tubs, if the porcelain is good, are worth
saving. They beat the heck out of all but the high-end special-order
modern tubs.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 15, 1:30*pm, aemeijers wrote:
TomYoung wrote:
[...]

aem sends...- Hide quoted text -

Instead of a dolly put down a piece of carpet or a tarp anf drag it
out on that.

This works really well if you put down plastic first. Maybe even
easier than a dolly.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
Don't give up- old iron tubs, if the porcelain is good, are worth
saving. They beat the heck out of all but the high-end special-order
modern tubs.

Are they significantly better than brand new cast iron tubs?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Answer is 'it depends'. I think you are on the right track. Sometimes
the best thing to do is stand the tub on end, and walk it out of the
room like a refrigerator, or use a refrig dolly to move it from the face
side.
aem sends...

That is exactly what I did. It was extremely heavy and hard to
maneuver but I eventually got it out. And once I loaded it into the
back of the Ranger pickup it almost brought the front tires off the
ground.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 08:59:26 -0700 (PDT), TomYoung
wrote:

I know the sledgehammer routine for removing tubs is the standard
answer but I'd like to remove this one intact.

I've got the bathroom down to studs, I've got the bathtub off the
floor and face down on a 4-wheel dolly. The bathroom is exactly 5'
wide its entire length and there's just not enough room to swing the
tub so I can shove it through the door.

It seems like the answer - short of removing wall studs - is to put
the tub back down on the floor, bottom down, and then tip the tub to
vertical, followed by tipping it back down face forward onto the
dolly.

Or is there some other way of doing this?

TIA

Tom Young

That is your olny alternative short of removing a few studs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:
aemeijers wrote:
Don't give up- old iron tubs, if the porcelain is good, are worth
saving. They beat the heck out of all but the high-end special-order
modern tubs.

Are they significantly better than brand new cast iron tubs?

You priced a Real Cast Iron tub, lately? If the porcelain coating on the
old one is good, not cracked or stained, and still shiny, it is worth a
couple hundred bucks in effort or hired labor to salvage it, assuming
the color and style meet your (and SWMBO's) requirements. I'm sure you
can still get brand new tubs that are as good, but you won't find them
at the big box, and you will pay through the nose. If it isn't abused,
and there is nothing horrible in the water or the cleaning chemicals
used, a good porcelain-coated tub can last a century or more. Modern
plastic or fiber ones look tired after 20 years. Other than where idiot
Previous Owner chipped it by dropping wrenches, the 1960 tub in this
place looks like new. The plastic 1978 shower stall in the addition
looks like it belongs in the type of motel where you only stay when
everything else is booked solid.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 15, 11:59*am, TomYoung wrote:
I know the sledgehammer routine for removing tubs is the standard
answer but I'd like to remove this one intact.

I've got the bathroom down to studs, I've got the bathtub off the
floor and face down on a 4-wheel dolly. *The bathroom is exactly 5'
wide its entire length and there's just not enough room to swing the
tub so I can shove it through the door.

It seems like the answer - short of removing wall studs - is to put
the tub back down on the floor, bottom down, and then tip the tub to
vertical, followed by tipping it back down face forward onto the
dolly.

Or is there some other way of doing this?

TIA

Tom Young

Did mine that way. Really not bad if you have a dolly to truck it out
on or a helper. I used an appliance dolly and wheeled it out like a
fridge. Don't think a sledge hammer route will get you anything but
sore arms.

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
Bob F wrote:
aemeijers wrote:
[...]

I bought a new cast iron tub at Home Depot a few months ago. They are in stock,
$329.

Posted to alt.home.repair

in2dadark wrote:
[...]

The hammer will allow you to break it into carryable chunks in a few minutes. No
big deal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:
aemeijers wrote:
Bob F wrote:
aemeijers wrote:
[...]

Hmm- the big-boxes around here don't carry ANY iron tubs, just plastic
or that thick faux-cast stuff that feels less flimsy than a typical
plastic tub. When I looked online last year, Real Iron tubs from the
major brands started several hundred higher than that.

(checks Lowes website)

Well, I guess my search params were too tight last time. I did find a
couple entry-level ones in the mid-300s. But only a couple. Most were
anywhere from several hundred higher to several thousand for the
'designer' tubs.

I still the old ones are worth salvaging, if they are in good shape,
just on principle.

--
aem sends...

PVC to cast iron Keith Home Repair 3 February 23rd 06 06:02 PM
Advice please on how to remove a Cast Iron Back Boiler Gary Home Repair 12 January 2nd 06 11:12 PM
Experience with Cast Iron wheels vs Cast Aluminum Brad Woodworking 3 July 19th 05 11:52 PM
Req'd: Cast Iron Soil Pipe bracket and Cast Iron>Plastic fittings John Borman UK diy 1 January 9th 05 09:05 PM
Wrought Iron, Cast Alum and Cast Iron Decorative welding Roy Metalworking 7 April 30th 04 08:52 AM