Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Remove cast iron tub intact?

in2dadark wrote:
On Mar 15, 11:59 am, TomYoung wrote:
I know the sledgehammer routine for removing tubs is the standard
answer but I'd like to remove this one intact.

I've got the bathroom down to studs, I've got the bathtub off the
floor and face down on a 4-wheel dolly. The bathroom is exactly 5'
wide its entire length and there's just not enough room to swing the
tub so I can shove it through the door.

It seems like the answer - short of removing wall studs - is to put
the tub back down on the floor, bottom down, and then tip the tub to
vertical, followed by tipping it back down face forward onto the
dolly.

Or is there some other way of doing this?

TIA

Tom Young

Did mine that way. Really not bad if you have a dolly to truck it out
on or a helper. I used an appliance dolly and wheeled it out like a
fridge. Don't think a sledge hammer route will get you anything but
sore arms.

The hammer will allow you to break it into carryable chunks in a few minutes. No
big deal.