Posted to uk.d-i-y
Smolley[_4_] Smolley[_4_] is offline

Default OBD2 ECU Memory Saver

On Sun, 14 Jun 2020 20:48:54 +0100, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sun, 14 Jun 2020 11:47:38 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OBD2-Auto...Saver-OBD-12V-
Battery-Replace-Tool-Extended-Cable/292763616836?ssPageName=
STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

anybody use one of these ?...are they safe?

Donno, I just made up a open end to lighter plug made sure the lighter
socket was powered and connected a 12 V SLA to the open ends.
With a modern car one might have to be quick changing the main battery
as they have a habit of going to sleep after a while and might switch
off the lighter socket...

I guess the ODBII power line is less likely to be turned off. Or find
other unswitced/secure +V and Gnd points, obvoious place is the around
the battery terminals but there is a chnace that one connection might
get dislodged whilst faffing about with the battery...

My car started and ran ok after removing the battery for a couple of
weeks, must have non volatile memory in the ECU.
..