Tahir Hussein

Default Low Voltage lights intermittent

Hi all,

I have tried searching these forums but didn't see anything which was
a direct help...

I have 6 Halogen lights in the kitchen configured as 2 banks of 3.
These were installed by the previous owner when the kitchne was
extended 7 years ago. I have not had to replace any of these since
moving in 3 years ago.

Last week one of the set of 3 lights started to intermittently go off
and then back on again. Last night on the advice from a friend I
checked the switch and found that one of the wires was loose. I
thought I had found the problem but alas the lights as still going off
and on. It is always the same set of 3.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be going wrong or the sort of
thing I could try to isolate the problem.

Thanks in advance.
BigWallop

"Tahir Hussein" wrote in message
om...
Hi all,

I have tried searching these forums but didn't see anything which was
a direct help...

I have 6 Halogen lights in the kitchen configured as 2 banks of 3.
These were installed by the previous owner when the kitchne was
extended 7 years ago. I have not had to replace any of these since
moving in 3 years ago.

Last week one of the set of 3 lights started to intermittently go off
and then back on again. Last night on the advice from a friend I
checked the switch and found that one of the wires was loose. I
thought I had found the problem but alas the lights as still going off
and on. It is always the same set of 3.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be going wrong or the sort of
thing I could try to isolate the problem.

Thanks in advance.

It may have been caused by the loose wire, but it is more likely that the
transformer's over heat protection is cutting out and in. Check to see
where the transformers are placed, and that they have adequate ventilation
around them. If they are covered with loft insulation like material, then
this can be a likely cause of the symptoms you have, and it may just need
cleared away.

On the other hand, if this transformer has been weakened, then it is best to
replace it. A transformer for this type of lighting system can be bought
from your local DIY Store at very little expense, and is very simple to
reconnect back on to the lighting circuits.

Make a written note or drawing of any connections before you remove the
existing transformer to make it easier when transfering the wiring over to
the new system.

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

ben

IMM wrote:

One of the reasons mains voltage downlighters are superior.

....but the bulbs cost a lot more and don't last nearly as long.

Ben.

IMM

"ben" wrote in message
IMM wrote:

One of the reasons mains voltage downlighters are superior.

...but the bulbs cost a lot more and don't last nearly as long.

The lamps have dropped a hell of a lot in price in recent years. £1.50 at
the local dealer. Mine are still going after 5 years.

---

The Natural Philosopher

Tahir Hussein wrote:

Hi all,

I have tried searching these forums but didn't see anything which was
a direct help...

I have 6 Halogen lights in the kitchen configured as 2 banks of 3.
These were installed by the previous owner when the kitchne was
extended 7 years ago. I have not had to replace any of these since
moving in 3 years ago.

Last week one of the set of 3 lights started to intermittently go off
and then back on again. Last night on the advice from a friend I
checked the switch and found that one of the wires was loose. I
thought I had found the problem but alas the lights as still going off
and on. It is always the same set of 3.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be going wrong or the sort of
thing I could try to isolate the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Trasnformer is faulty

Dodgy connection

I had this - it was on a track stsyem. I took it all to pices, scartched
my arse a fewe times, and put it back together idly pushing teh tracks
back into the transfpormer where they had slpipped out.

It all worked fine. I took it apart and found definite signs of arcing
on teh track, so that was that problem.

I have one other LV that goes off - transformer is overheating and
cutting out - possibly faulty.

The Natural Philosopher

IMM wrote:

One of the reasons mains voltage downlighters are superior.

Yep. they just catch fire
Prat!

The Natural Philosopher

ben wrote:

IMM wrote:

One of the reasons mains voltage downlighters are superior.

...but the bulbs cost a lot more and don't last nearly as long.

And give out less light and are less efficient.

Ben.

IMM

IMM wrote:

One of the reasons mains voltage downlighters are superior.

Yep. they just catch fire
Prat!

Mr Prat!,

Source please?

---

Tahir Hussein

Thanks for all your inputs guys. I suspected that it might be the
transformer. Now comes the tricky part. The lights are in the single
storey extended kitchen area. The only access point I can see are
where the lights are. How do I access the transformers and where are
they likely to be. Near the lights or back towards the reast of the
lighting system?

Tahir.
The Natural Philosopher

IMM wrote:

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

In article ,
(Tahir Hussein) writes:

Thanks for all your inputs guys. I suspected that it might be the
transformer. Now comes the tricky part. The lights are in the single
storey extended kitchen area. The only access point I can see are
where the lights are. How do I access the transformers and where are
they likely to be. Near the lights or back towards the reast of the
lighting system?

I would take one (or more) of the lights out and peer through the
hole. Some transformers are long and thin, designed to be pushed
through the same hole. Otherwise, at least you'll see what direction
the cable goes.

If the transformer is inaccessible, then it may be better to feed in mains
cable and fit main downlighters. Problem solved.

And 5 more problems created.

Normal IMM 'solution'

---

IMM

(Tahir Hussein) writes:

Thanks for all your inputs guys. I suspected that it might be the
transformer. Now comes the tricky part. The lights are in the single
storey extended kitchen area. The only access point I can see are
where the lights are. How do I access the transformers and where are
they likely to be. Near the lights or back towards the reast of the
lighting system?

I would take one (or more) of the lights out and peer through the
hole. Some transformers are long and thin, designed to be pushed
through the same hole. Otherwise, at least you'll see what direction
the cable goes.

If the transformer is inaccessible, then it may be better to feed in

mains
cable and fit main downlighters. Problem solved.

And 5 more problems created.

What a wild statement. Please expand.

---

The Natural Philosopher