Posted to sci.electronics.repair
legg legg is offline

Default Intermittent OBD2 connector.

On Mon, 3 May 2021 06:02:35 -0700 (PDT), Tim R
wrote:

On Saturday, May 1, 2021 at 12:37:34 PM UTC-4, John Robertson wrote:
If you leave a plug in an outlet there is no reason to assume it won't
last the rated 50+ years of a NEMA 5-15R, but my point was there is a
limit to the number of insertions beyond which any connector starts to fail.

John :-#)#

My employer switched us all to laptops because we're teleworking half time each. So we have the computer in a docking station at one location with connection via an USB-C, and at home just on a power cord and wifi. That's a lot of connecting and unconnecting on the USB-C. Figure 200 plus work days in the office with an insertion/outsertion cycle daily; i wonder when they will get flakey.

You don't want to find out - it will invariably mean lost data.

Keeping them clean is of top importance. Once dust, grit or
grease gets into the equation, replacement may be the only
reliable option.

Ratings for power connectors have reduced insertion counts
because they involve monitored voltage drops at high current.
Obviously, use at less current or for shorter time periods
will mask their reduced ability for cntinuous rated use.
As long as it doesn't burn before the toast pops, you're
satisfied.

Signal connections are a different story and require different
materials and test methods. Again, as long as the pins you
need work, while you're using them, you're happy.

Combined signal and power (ie USB) are a can of worms, though often
only one function may be required of a multipurpose connection at
one time.

RL