Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Rob[_40_] Rob[_40_] is offline

Default Intermittent OBD2 connector.

Tim R wrote:
On Saturday, May 1, 2021 at 12:37:34 PM UTC-4, John Robertson wrote:
If you leave a plug in an outlet there is no reason to assume it won't
last the rated 50+ years of a NEMA 5-15R, but my point was there is a
limit to the number of insertions beyond which any connector starts to fail.

John :-#)#

My employer switched us all to laptops because we're teleworking half time each. So we have the computer in a docking station at one location with connection via an USB-C, and at home just on a power cord and wifi. That's a lot of connecting and unconnecting on the USB-C. Figure 200 plus work days in the office with an insertion/outsertion cycle daily; i wonder when they will get flakey.

That often depends more on the lateral forces you apply to the connector
than on the number of insertion cycles.

You can insert it quite a number of times, but one inadvertent jerk because
someone steps on the powercord which hangs from the device at the edge of
the table to the floor and it is gone.