Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John Robertson John Robertson is offline

Default Intermittent OBD2 connector.

On 2021/05/01 8:47 a.m., David Farber wrote:
On 5/1/2021 5:53 AM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
On 4/30/2021 2:35 AM, John Robertson wrote:
[snip]
Heck even electrical outlets start to fail after 50 or so insertions -

ever notice how a socket you use for the coffee pot feels looser and
the plug seems warmer than it did when they were new?

In my limited experience (sample size of 1) that's not true.Â* I have a
toaster that I only plug in when I use it.Â* Which is 1-2 times a week,
for 20(?) years: 1000 or 2000 times & no noticeable looseness.

That anecdotal report agrees with my findings as well. :-)

Thanks for your reply.

--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Yeah, I hear you. I can't find a PDF on life expectancy of NEMA 5-15
plugs/receptacles (North America), but my experience is perhaps 100 to
200 insertions one starts to notice the socket doesn't grab the plug as
well. Our kitchen has an outlet that we tend to plug the toaster (a few
times a week) in and after ten years it is noticeably less well held
than the outlet above it - which we now use.

If you leave a plug in an outlet there is no reason to assume it won't
last the rated 50+ years of a NEMA 5-15R, but my point was there is a
limit to the number of insertions beyond which any connector starts to fail.

John :-#)#