Old May 17th 17, 06:18 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Ping Trevor Wilson

Hi TW,

I have a Marantz SR2000 on the bench with both STK080G modules blown
and signs of attempted repair. I know the PSUs and tuners are OK.

WES does not stock the 080G but has the uprated 083G which appears to be pin compatible.

Can it be a drop in replacement?

Any mods needed ?

..... Phil

Old May 17th 17, 06:56 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 17/05/2017 2:18 PM, Phil Allison wrote:

Hi TW,

I have a Marantz SR2000 on the bench with both STK080G modules blown
and signs of attempted repair. I know the PSUs and tuners are OK.

WES does not stock the 080G but has the uprated 083G which appears to be pin compatible.

Can it be a drop in replacement?

Any mods needed ?

**Puke. Worst. Marantz. Products. Ever. Cheap ****. Lemme check for any
080s I may have in stock.

I have one STK-080-II in stock. It will almost certainly be a drop-in
replacement. Not sure about the 083G.

Looking at the .pdf on this page, suggests that it will be a drop-in
replacement:

http://www.datasheetspdf.com/datasheet/STK083G.html

I don't think you'll have a problem. Piece of **** SR2000. All the SR
range was crap, along with the tuners and integrated amps at the time.
That was built at a time when Marantz was in deep ****. The Pianocorder™
almost sent them to the wall and the quality of their audio products
went downhill real fast. Then Philips bailed them out and the quality
returned. One product they released almost did make me puke - Imperial,
by Marantz (no, not the speaker systems). A return to those 1960s,
single unit stereo systems. Plastic moulding, made to look like wood.
Spectacular example of bad taste. I measured one. 1.75 Watts/channel. Yikes!

I just checked the web. I can't find any reference to the atrocities
anywhere.

**** I hate Sanken **** and I wish manufacturers would stop using their
semis. *******s delete items forever, making it impossible to service
old products.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au
Old May 17th 17, 07:22 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Trevor Wilson wrote:

-------------------

I have a Marantz SR2000 on the bench with both STK080G modules blown
and signs of attempted repair. I know the PSUs and tuners are OK.

WES does not stock the 080G but has the uprated 083G which appears to be pin compatible.

Can it be a drop in replacement?

Any mods needed ?

**Puke. Worst. Marantz. Products. Ever. Cheap ****. Lemme check for any
080s I may have in stock.

I have one STK-080-II in stock. It will almost certainly be a drop-in
replacement. Not sure about the 083G.

Looking at the .pdf on this page, suggests that it will be a drop-in
replacement:

http://www.datasheetspdf.com/datasheet/STK083G.html

I don't think you'll have a problem.

** Yep - I found that data sheet earlier today.

**** I hate Sanken **** and I wish manufacturers would stop using their
semis. *******s delete items forever, making it impossible to service
old products.

** The STK series is made by Sanyo.

Sanken modules, with numbers like SI1050 disappeared decades ago.

Both typically suffered from lack of short circuit protection.

..... Phil

Old May 17th 17, 09:01 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

"**** I hate Sanken **** and I wish manufacturers would stop using their
semis."

I had a Mitsubishi X-11 system the guy's olady was in love with. Had a bad SI series output chip. I ended up wiring in a pair of LM3886s which use almost no external components. Worked fine.

I would have considered just runing pre-outs from it so he could connect an external amp but they put the tone controls in the global feedback loop.

I agree that Marantz went to ****. I've actually seen a few with the tone controls in the global feedback loop. Marantz ? In my book that is no Marantz. Now a 2325, things of that vintage, now that's Marantz.
Old May 17th 17, 11:12 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 17/05/2017 5:01 PM, wrote:
"**** I hate Sanken **** and I wish manufacturers would stop using
their

semis."

I had a Mitsubishi X-11 system the guy's olady was in love with. Had
a bad SI series output chip. I ended up wiring in a pair of LM3886s
which use almost no external components. Worked fine.

I would have considered just runing pre-outs from it so he could
connect an external amp but they put the tone controls in the global
feedback loop.

I agree that Marantz went to ****. I've actually seen a few with the
tone controls in the global feedback loop. Marantz ? In my book that
is no Marantz. Now a 2325, things of that vintage, now that's
Marantz.

**Well, in some ways. Big, heavy, big power transformer, nice to
service, but not a great sounding amp and with some serious issues with
the VI limiting system (I measured around 20 Watts, at limiting, when
driving a pair of AR 10pi speakers). For me, the last, really good
integrated amp from Marantz was the 1200b. Built in Chatsworth Cal.
Stunning sounding amp. It was my first Marantz amp, when I started work
at Marantz. The last receiver built in Chatsworth was the Model 18 (I
think). I still have mine. Very interesting model. Sounds pretty good
too. I also still have the mightiest Marantz of all - the Model 500
power amp. A big, beautiful, all hand built beast with phenomenal
unreliability. When it works, it sounds fabulous.

As for your tone control thing, ALL Baxandall type tone controls (which
is most of them) operate within a feedback loop. However, I suspect you
mean within the power amp stage? If so, then you are thinking of 1980s
vintage Luxman amps. ALL Marantz amps employed separate tone control
circuits, with their own amplification and feedback systems.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Old May 18th 17, 06:05 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

"As for your tone control thing, ALL Baxandall type tone controls (which
is most of them) operate within a feedback loop. However, I suspect you
mean within the power amp stage? If so, then you are thinking of 1980s
vintage Luxman amps. ALL Marantz amps employed separate tone control
circuits, with their own amplification and feedback systems. "

Yes I meant in the power amp stage. And I swear I saw a Marantz that was like that, in fact I probably got the print on the PC but I have alot of Marantz prints. I was actually surprised to see it, and it was the only one. I remember it was a lower end model but it still had the Marantz look.
Old May 19th 17, 02:32 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

"**I could be wrong, but I doubt it. Luxman, absolutely. Quite a few of
theirs employed such a system. If you figure out which Marantz, let me
know. I have pretty much every service manual for every model."

I took a quick look around and the answers were not forthcoming. I did not imagine this, I remember it because it was unusual, for them at least.

Luxman I don't really know about, but I have seen them with pre out/main in jacks, I would assume then that though the volume worked for the pre out, the tone controls did not ?

Not unfathomable.

My buddy in Florida had a decent system, Luxman receiver with a pair of ADS with blown tweeters, slaved to it was another amp running a Bose Acoustimass system with the sub way back in the corner and the satellites on top of the ADSes. Damn did that sound good. And you couldn't get it to distort, even at cop calling levels.
Old May 19th 17, 10:24 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 19/05/2017 10:32 PM, wrote:
"**I could be wrong, but I doubt it. Luxman, absolutely. Quite a
few of

theirs employed such a system. If you figure out which Marantz, let
me know. I have pretty much every service manual for every model."

I took a quick look around and the answers were not forthcoming. I
did not imagine this, I remember it because it was unusual, for them
at least.

Luxman I don't really know about, but I have seen them with pre
out/main in jacks, I would assume then that though the volume worked
for the pre out, the tone controls did not ?

**I did not say that ALL Luxman integrated amps used such a system. Just
their low end ones. I know of no amplifier that employs pre/main
connectors that does not disable the the tone controls when it is used
as a power amp only.

Not unfathomable.

My buddy in Florida had a decent system, Luxman receiver with a pair
of ADS with blown tweeters, slaved to it was another amp running a
Bose Acoustimass system with the sub way back in the corner and the
satellites on top of the ADSes. Damn did that sound good. And you
couldn't get it to distort, even at cop calling levels.

**If you think an Acoustimess™ system can EVER sound good, then you need
to get out a lot more. Bose Acoustimess™ are absolute crap. There is a
huge, deep and wide hole in the frequency response of the system,
centred around 200Hz, the woofer module (it cannot, EVER, be called a
subwoofer) doesn't deliver anything of consequence below 40Hz (I have a
pair of NEAR 10M-II bookshelf speakers that can go lower and louder than
the Bose woofer). Distortion is horrible and the ability of the system
to deliver a credible image is non-existent.

But women love them. They are small and cute. They just sound like ****.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au
Old May 20th 17, 02:09 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

"**I did not say that ALL Luxman integrated amps used such a system. Just
their low end ones. I know of no amplifier that employs pre/main
connectors that does not disable the the tone controls when it is used
as a power amp only. "

Seems to be a misunderstanding here. If the tone controls are in the power amp feedback loop then they would not affect the pre out of course. Whether this is desirable or not is up in the air. By disabled when used as a power amp I assume you mean bypassed, because regular pre outs are after the tone controls.

"**If you think an Acoustimess™ system can EVER sound good, then you need

to get out a lot more. Bose Acoustimess™ are absolute crap. There is a
huge, deep and wide hole in the frequency response of the system,
centred around 200Hz, the woofer module (it cannot, EVER, be called a
subwoofer) "

No disagreement here, but this was in conjunction with another system. Together they sounded good. It was a corner situated system. The Bose sats were on top of the big speakers and the bass module was way back in the corner.

Best thing Bose made was the wave radio, they don't sound all that great but for their size the do pretty well. Convenient, the customer doesn't have to hook anything up. The sound is adequate for quite a few people.

But when you get like 901s, who the **** brainiac got the idea to use nine speakers and face eight of them away from the listener ? We strive to have clear sound, to have loudspeakers that sound almost like the best of headphones but on a larger scale. Some people like Bose but I think he was a snake oil salesman.

All this "ambiance", that is your room, you DON'T WANT THAT. You want the ambiance in the recording. Not your room.

Another good thing Bose made were my Mother's speakers. Smaller than a toaster but shake the floor. I can't even get a model number, they were some kind of special order I bought from where I worked at the time.

Other than that I don't have much use for Bose. In my buddy's system they served well as tweeters.