Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Ping Trevor Wilson

Trevor Wilson wrote:

--------------------

** Luxman were always a prestige brand that did not make low end
models.

**I can assure you that they most certainly did. Perhaps not quite as
low end as those Sansui atrocities, but models that were significantly
less costly to make than their good models. As an authorised service
agent for the importer, since 1980, I've seen them all, though Interdyn
no longer import Luxman.

Simple models like the SQ606 from the late 60s ( single supply, cap
coupled) still had Baxandall feedback tone controls.

**Here's one of their budget models that employed tone controls as part
of the power amp stage feedback line:

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_li...an/l-205.shtml

Cheap. Lots of failures with this model and others in the same range.
Usually simple stuff, like failed zeners. Using 0.5 Watt zeners at their
limits is asking for trouble. The engineer should have been sacked.

** I've seen an L-205 on my bench, a couple of years back.

Not a bad little amp, I felt.

The oddball tone control thing is not important, specially if you set them flat .

Of course, not as bad as this rubbish:

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_li...sui/a-40.shtml

Check out the output stage. You'll note two things:

* No current limiters
* Mild steel plates that hold the output devices onto the heat sink
(badly).

** Seen one of them too, a budget model for sure.

Still, used with ordinary care they work fine long enough to outlast the sort of peripherals generally found.

...... Phil