Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

Default Ping Trevor Wilson

On 17/05/2017 5:01 PM, wrote:
"**** I hate Sanken **** and I wish manufacturers would stop using
their

semis."

I had a Mitsubishi X-11 system the guy's olady was in love with. Had
a bad SI series output chip. I ended up wiring in a pair of LM3886s
which use almost no external components. Worked fine.

I would have considered just runing pre-outs from it so he could
connect an external amp but they put the tone controls in the global
feedback loop.

I agree that Marantz went to ****. I've actually seen a few with the
tone controls in the global feedback loop. Marantz ? In my book that
is no Marantz. Now a 2325, things of that vintage, now that's
Marantz.

**Well, in some ways. Big, heavy, big power transformer, nice to
service, but not a great sounding amp and with some serious issues with
the VI limiting system (I measured around 20 Watts, at limiting, when
driving a pair of AR 10pi speakers). For me, the last, really good
integrated amp from Marantz was the 1200b. Built in Chatsworth Cal.
Stunning sounding amp. It was my first Marantz amp, when I started work
at Marantz. The last receiver built in Chatsworth was the Model 18 (I
think). I still have mine. Very interesting model. Sounds pretty good
too. I also still have the mightiest Marantz of all - the Model 500
power amp. A big, beautiful, all hand built beast with phenomenal
unreliability. When it works, it sounds fabulous.

As for your tone control thing, ALL Baxandall type tone controls (which
is most of them) operate within a feedback loop. However, I suspect you
mean within the power amp stage? If so, then you are thinking of 1980s
vintage Luxman amps. ALL Marantz amps employed separate tone control
circuits, with their own amplification and feedback systems.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au