Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default N. Cook

I opened a Korg M1 keyboard the other day, to find a previous repairer had
marked and written all over the PCB's.

Something along the lines of "N.Cook switches". And various pen marks
beside screws etc.

Was that you, N.Cook?

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 10/05/2017 23:14, Gareth Magennis wrote:
I opened a Korg M1 keyboard the other day, to find a previous repairer
had marked and written all over the PCB's.

Something along the lines of "N.Cook switches". And various pen marks
beside screws etc.

Was that you, N.Cook?

Gareth.

I mark ribbons and any reorientable screening and metalwork before
disconnecting, thats about it, why would I "sign" my "work"?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N_Cook wrote:

On 10/05/2017 23:14, Gareth Magennis wrote:
I opened a Korg M1 keyboard the other day, to find a previous repairer
had marked and written all over the PCB's.

Something along the lines of "N.Cook switches". And various pen marks
beside screws etc.

Was that you, N.Cook?

Gareth.

I mark ribbons and any reorientable screening and metalwork before
disconnecting, thats about it, why would I "sign" my "work"?

It happens:

Doctor Carved His Initials Into Patient, Lawsuit Says

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/01/22/ny...suit-says.html

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in message
news
On 10/05/2017 23:14, Gareth Magennis wrote:
I opened a Korg M1 keyboard the other day, to find a previous repairer
had marked and written all over the PCB's.

Something along the lines of "N.Cook switches". And various pen marks
beside screws etc.

Was that you, N.Cook?

Gareth.

I mark ribbons and any reorientable screening and metalwork before
disconnecting, thats about it, why would I "sign" my "work"?

I found that signing and dating my repairs made it difficult for customers
to present entirely different items as returns.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ian Field wrote:

----------------

I found that signing and dating my repairs made it difficult for customers
to present entirely different items as returns.

** Recording serial numbers is the usual precaution against that one.

Plus recent repair work is generally visible.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 5/11/2017 7:52 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
Plus recent repair work is generally visible.

If it's done right, it shouldn't be.

--
Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi

---
http://www.avg.com

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Foxs Mercantile wrote:

-----------------------

Phil Allison wrote:

** Plus recent repair work is generally visible.

If it's done right, it shouldn't be.

** I've only come across this piece of asinine garbage once before - and the guy who said it was a total idiot.

Electronics repairs are NOT "invisible mending".

It is a GOOD thing if repairs are visible, cos when you come across them then you know what was done.

Trying to make them invisible is 100% ABSRUD.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2017/05/11 7:31 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
Foxs Mercantile wrote:

-----------------------

Phil Allison wrote:

** Plus recent repair work is generally visible.

If it's done right, it shouldn't be.

** I've only come across this piece of asinine garbage once before - and the guy who said it was a total idiot.

Electronics repairs are NOT "invisible mending".

It is a GOOD thing if repairs are visible, cos when you come across them then you know what was done.

Trying to make them invisible is 100% ABSRUD.

..... Phil

I think what the PP meant was you clean up the solder flux, etc.

One group of folks that might want repairs to be 'invisible' are the
collectors of ancient radio gear. They often want to hide replacement
capacitors in the original package. I can understand that, and will do
it if any customers asked (and charge for the extra time) but hasn't
happened so far. Then again if I was restoring my 1920's battery powered
RCA Radiola (w/WD11 tubes) I would likely hide the modern caps that way
too...

John :-#)#

(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

John Robertson wrote:

Foxs Mercantile wrote:

-----------------------

Phil Allison wrote:

** Plus recent repair work is generally visible.

If it's done right, it shouldn't be.

** I've only come across this piece of asinine garbage once before
- and the guy who said it was a total idiot.

Electronics repairs are NOT "invisible mending".

It is a GOOD thing if repairs are visible, cos when you come
across them then you know what was done.

Trying to make them invisible is 100% ABSRUD.

I think what the PP meant was you clean up the solder flux, etc.

** Does not make repairs invisible - merely tidy.

BTW; PP = previous poster is a new one to me.

One group of folks that might want repairs to be 'invisible' are the
collectors of ancient radio gear. They often want to hide replacement
capacitors in the original package.

** That is restoration work - not repairs.

Repairers are free to use substitute components and generic types in lieu of the originals. To make an electronic repairs on consumer or most professional electronic invisible would take an extraordinary effort and result in unacceptable cost.

For no good purpose.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Foxs Mercantile wrote:

-----------------------

Phil Allison wrote:

[...]

John,

I had a 2 tube Crosley radio in 1970 that used WD11s with a tip. I
couldn't find one back then. Noticed they are available now for
$225.00.

---

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, May 12, 2017 at 12:28:00 AM UTC-4, Phil Allison wrote:
To make an electronic repairs on consumer or most professional electronic invisible would take an extraordinary effort and result in unacceptable cost..

For no good purpose.

.... Phil

Well I guess it all comes down to what the definition of "invisible" is (and I'll not ask Bill Clinton..).

Most of my work is surface mount work, and other than the area of rework looking cleaner than the rest, my work is nearly imperceptible, but not on purpose.

I use a lot of flux installing a flat pack IC to insure excellent solder flow out and I always clean the area thoroughly with a fiber brush and acetone. Yes, the cleaning makes the repair mostly invisible but it allows me to eye-loupe the repair looking for any solder bridges, unsoldered connections, or questionable connections, and it takes seconds to accomplish.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 5/11/2017 9:31 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
Foxs Mercantile wrote:

-----------------------

Phil Allison wrote:

** Plus recent repair work is generally visible.

If it's done right, it shouldn't be.

** I've only come across this piece of asinine garbage once
before - and the guy who said it was a total idiot.

Taking a cue from the master of invective,
"Hey Phil, I hope you get bone cancer and die."

I've seen too many previous repairs with broken terminals or
tube socket pins, burnt wiring harnesses bad soldering and
other completely crap examples of workmanship.

Or on newer stuff, lifted pads and burn marks on PC boards
and excess flux and solder blobs.

Like the Hippocratic Oath, "Do no harm." There's no excuse for
leaving a trail of destruction in the wake of a repair.

--
Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi
http://www.foxsmercantile.com

---
http://www.avg.com

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Foxs Mercantile wrote:
Phil Allison wrote:

** Plus recent repair work is generally visible.

If it's done right, it shouldn't be.

** I've only come across this piece of asinine garbage once
before - and the guy who said it was a total idiot.

Taking a cue from the master of invective,
"Hey Phil, I hope you get bone cancer and die."

I've seen too many previous repairs with broken terminals or
tube socket pins, burnt wiring harnesses bad soldering and
other completely crap examples of workmanship.

Or on newer stuff, lifted pads and burn marks on PC boards
and excess flux and solder blobs.

Like the Hippocratic Oath, "Do no harm." There's no excuse for
leaving a trail of destruction in the wake of a repair.

There is... when what was there was a pile of charcoal. Then destruction is good.

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Phil Allison" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote:

----------------

I found that signing and dating my repairs made it difficult for
customers
to present entirely different items as returns.

** Recording serial numbers is the usual precaution against that one.

Plus recent repair work is generally visible.

Recent repair work could've been done elsewhere - warranty repairs for items
someone else ****ed up is the oldest trick in the book.

Taking the back off and look if I signed and dated it is *MUCH* easier than
searching through a notebook of longer than phone number serial numbers.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ian Field wrote:

----------------

I found that signing and dating my repairs made it difficult for
customers
to present entirely different items as returns.

** Recording serial numbers is the usual precaution against that one.

Plus recent repair work is generally visible.

Recent repair work could've been done elsewhere - warranty repairs for
items someone else ****ed up is the oldest trick in the book.

Taking the back off and look if I signed and dated it is *MUCH* easier
than searching through a notebook of longer than phone number serial
numbers.

We have a sticker we put on our customers' boards - it has the shop
name, URL, and work order number (that # is added by pen along with
quantity of boards 1/x, 2/x...x/x).

The sticker serves two purposes - helps us track board repairs when/if
it comes back or customer has trouble, and it is advertising for the
shop - that pays off big time as people buy and sell games all over the
place and I keep getting notes from folks saying something like "I saw
your sticker on a game I just bought - do you service or sell XYZ?"

John ;-#)#

(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ian Field wrote:

----------------

[...]

As far as possible, I avoided dealing with Joe public.

My customers were small local businesses and recommendations kept me busy
enough.

Some of them turned up with a van load at a time.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

-----------------------
Phil Allison wrote:
To make an electronic repairs on consumer or most professional
electronic invisible would take an extraordinary effort and result
in unacceptable cost.

For no good purpose.

.... Phil

Well I guess it all comes down to what the definition of "invisible"

** Wot a pedanict prick.

Most of my work is surface mount work,

** Really - that must be really boring.

You do realise how rare it is for repairers to do SMD work ?

....... Phil
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The Texas Ranger wrote:
-----------------------

Phil Allison wrote:

** Plus recent repair work is generally visible.

If it's done right, it shouldn't be.

** I've only come across this piece of asinine garbage once
before - and the guy who said it was a total idiot.

Taking a cue from the master of invective,
"Hey Phil, I hope you get bone cancer and die."

** You are one giant asshole - aren't you ?

I've seen too many previous repairs with broken terminals or
tube socket pins, burnt wiring harnesses bad soldering and
other completely crap examples of workmanship.

** Completely off the subject.

That the best you got, Tex ???

Like the Hippocratic Oath, "Do no harm." There's no excuse for
leaving a trail of destruction in the wake of a repair.

** Got SFA to do with making repairs invisible.

..... Phil
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

You do realise how rare it is for repairers to do SMD work ?

...... Phil

I don't think too rare. Much of my repair work is SMD components.

Your not going to find too many through-hole components in professional video cameras these days...

The same goes for high end touring gear as well. While there are "standard" components, much is SMD these days.

Dan
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

You do realise how rare it is for repairers to do SMD work ?

I don't think too rare.

** It is very rare.

Much of my repair work is SMD components.

Your not going to find too many through-hole components in professional
video cameras these days...

** Not the point.

Faulty SMD boards are replaced, not repaired, cos the latter is normally too expensive or impossible to do.

The same goes for high end touring gear as well.

** Could you be more ambiguous?

You obviously work in a very special area and with lots of help from manufacturers.

In the real world, the manufacturer is in China and supplies no help at all.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, May 12, 2017 at 8:51:25 PM UTC-4, Phil Allison wrote:
wrote:

** Not the point.

Faulty SMD boards are replaced, not repaired, cos the latter is normally too expensive or impossible to do.

You do what you have to do to live Phil. A lot of the boards I work on are for consumer level TV, and with the price erosion of the last few years, I can't afford to pay more for a board than a customer is willing to spend in total for a repair. I can replace an AS15F gamma IC on an LCD TCON board in 10 minutes tops, and you'd have to look *very* carefully to see that it was replaced. I buy them 50 at a shot out of China for less than 0.50 each.

There are some boards that defy repair and those need to be replaced, but they are usually a break even deal at best, so we do whatever we can to avoid replacements.

In the real world, the manufacturer is in China and supplies no help at all.

.... Phil

True. No schematics, no .bin files, no help. But we adapt by utilizing the datasheets for the ICs on the boards. Fortunately, manufacturers no longer deface ICs and/or put house numbers on them, so using the "typical" circuit topology provided by the chip maker goes a long way in replacing the missing schematic.

Every main board that has a 25 series eeprom gets the .bin file removed, read, and stored on my computer (and backed up to half a dozen flash drives). A lot of main boards just have corrupted firmware, and I can pull an eeprom, reprogram it, and get it back on the board in 10 minutes.

I love getting guitar amps in because the guys want them back right away and don't care a lot about cost. It's nice to work on parts that I don't need to wear opti-visors to repair.

I do the occasional "antique" tube radio because it's a lot of fun to bring these old timers back to life.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

-----------------------

** Not the point.

Faulty SMD boards are replaced, not repaired, cos the latter is
normally too expensive or impossible to do.

You do what you have to do to live Phil.

In the real world, the manufacturer is in China and supplies no
help at all.

True. No schematics, no .bin files, no help.

** And crucially no spare ICs are sold, only whole PCBs.

What YOU claim YOU sometimes do is unheard of in this country.

Cos it is completely uneconomic.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Taking the back off and look if I signed and dated it is *MUCH* easier than
searching through a notebook of longer than phone number serial numbers. "

Even better, put the last four digits of the SN on the receipt which they must bring in to get warranty service. In some cases it is on a sticker, in which case you can etch it into something inside the cabinet.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ian Field wrote:

----------------

[...]

Different market. My shop fixes coin operated amusement machines, hourly
rate is good, and people appreciate us as we are one ot he few
professional shops around that deals with these games.

My customers were small local businesses and recommendations kept me
busy enough.

Other than our customers are mostly private we seem to get a lot of
referrals.

Some of them turned up with a van load at a time.

We keep a wait list (285 folks on the list = bigger shop needed, so
moving this week and next, and have to hire more people) - too many jobs!

John :-#)#

(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 12/05/2017 10:52 AM, Phil Allison wrote:
Ian Field wrote:

----------------

I found that signing and dating my repairs made it difficult for customers
to present entirely different items as returns.

** Recording serial numbers is the usual precaution against that one.

Plus recent repair work is generally visible.

**Yup. I had a guy who brought in an NAD amp for service. It was duly
fixed. He brought it back 2 weeks later for an almost identical repair.
I was surprised, so I checked my records and noted that the serial
numbers failed to match. Arsehole.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ian Field wrote:

----------------

I found that signing and dating my repairs made it difficult for
customers
to present entirely different items as returns.

** Recording serial numbers is the usual precaution against that one.

Plus recent repair work is generally visible.

**Yup. I had a guy who brought in an NAD amp for service. It was duly
fixed. He brought it back 2 weeks later for an almost identical repair. I
was surprised, so I checked my records and noted that the serial numbers
failed to match. Arsehole.

One of the shops I narrowly avoided doing business with allegedly sent a
printer under warranty back to Epson - when they took it apart, they found
that serial numbers on individual parts were allocated to over a dozen
different printers.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"**Yup. I had a guy who brought in an NAD amp for service. It was duly
fixed. He brought it back 2 weeks later for an almost identical repair.
I was surprised, so I checked my records and noted that the serial
numbers failed to match. Arsehole. "

I know I said I almost never call the police, I lock and load, but in this case I would have called the law and had him charged with fraud.

People think Trump U committed fraud but if that's the case all colleges do it, especially liberal arts, art history and all that. And making you take all kinds of irrelevant courses for **** you'll never use. Trumpp gioving the money back was just good public relations, they would have never made it stick because the "elements of the crime" simply were not there. There is enough to criticize him about without making **** up. Every college in this country should be sued. Look for a video called "The College Conspiracy".

But when they pull that **** it is out and out fraud.

Either that or I would just keep the unit and say I don't have it. "Look, this is the serial number of your unit, if you can find a unit with that serial number on it in this shop it is yours". In fact I would write a ticket for the unit with the "new" serial number and put someone's name on it I knew and tell them what is going on.

And when the crook shows up tell him "Go ahead and call the law MF"
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Saturday, 13 May 2017 23:05:55 UTC+1, wrote:

[...]

Then you lose the customer. Sometimes that's ok, sometimes not. I'd either return it and say it's not the unit repaired, they must have picked up the wrong one by mistake. Or repair it and not hand it over until the repair bill was paid.

NT

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Saturday, May 13, 2017 at 7:25:42 PM UTC-4, Gareth Magennis wrote:

No wonder people hate you kind of people.

Gareth.

I've been reading Jeff's posts for over 20 years on and off on this group, and although I've never met him, I can promise you that he was just spitballing. I've often fantasized about diabolical things I could do to deserving customers, but of course never did. Sometimes the fantasy has to be enough..

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 14/05/2017 9:52 AM, wrote:
[...]

**Which is precisely my approach. I knew and I am certain the customer
knew what he was doing. I simply provided a way he could avoid being
labelled a criminal. That way I could continue to do business with him.

Or repair it and not hand it over
until the repair bill was paid.

**That is a given, unless the client is a very good one.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

-------------------------

"**Yup. I had a guy who brought in an NAD amp for service. It was duly

fixed. He brought it back 2 weeks later for an almost identical repair.
I was surprised, so I checked my records and noted that the serial
numbers failed to match. Arsehole. "

I know I said I almost never call the police, I lock and load,
but in this case I would have called the law and had him charged with fraud.

** Not even faintly possible.

The customer likely made a mistake about which amp was recently serviced.

..... Phil
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 5/13/2017 6:05 PM, wrote:
[...]

Uh, didn't Trump settle that issue? I believe there were a number of
lawsuits and the state of New York was pursuing him. "Trump had
publicly vowed not to settle the lawsuits", but he did. I think it is
pretty clear his university was a crock.

If there was no case there was no reason to settle the suit. Legal
costs would be a fraction of the $25 million paid out. Trump would not
have been bothered any more than he was in running the University which
he didn't do. It couldn't have possibly looked any worse for him than
the multitude of crap he has pulled since being in office. But then I
guess he couldn't see that since he thinks everyone is overreacting to
the anti-constitutional acts he has made.

Why is it that when it is discovered that Trump is doing something wrong
the common response is to say "Johny is doing it too!" Let's just talk
about Trump.

But when they pull that **** it is out and out fraud.

Either that or I would just keep the unit and say I don't have it.
"Look, this is the serial number of your unit, if you can find a unit
with that serial number on it in this shop it is yours". In fact I
would write a ticket for the unit with the "new" serial number and
put someone's name on it I knew and tell them what is going on.

And when the crook shows up tell him "Go ahead and call the law MF"

As someone has already pointed out, that makes YOU the con artist.

--

Rick C
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
"**Yup. I had a guy who brought in an NAD amp for service. It was duly

fixed. He brought it back 2 weeks later for an almost identical repair.
I was surprised, so I checked my records and noted that the serial
numbers failed to match. Arsehole. "

I know I said I almost never call the police, I lock and load, but in this
case I would have called the law and had him charged with fraud.

No doubt its a criminal offence - but so far I've never heard of anyone
filing charges.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Oops, that appears to be Kylie Minogue on a rocket.

Not sure how that happened.

Here is the chip:
http://www.shtengel.com/gleb/Scanner...acement_n2.jpg

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ian Field wrote:

----------------

I found that signing and dating my repairs made it difficult for
customers
to present entirely different items as returns.

** Recording serial numbers is the usual precaution against that one.

Plus recent repair work is generally visible.

Recent repair work could've been done elsewhere - warranty repairs for
items someone else ****ed up is the oldest trick in the book.

Taking the back off and look if I signed and dated it is *MUCH* easier
than searching through a notebook of longer than phone number serial
numbers.

**Whilst I have tagged my repairs with a job number and date for a very
long time, I keep an old Windows database (originally ported from dbase
III) where I can search for repairs, by date, customer name, serial
number, job number or even part number. It takes less than a second to
search any parameter. Since the software was originally DOS based, it is
extremely compact (even in Windows form). I can run it from a USB stick
as small as 10MB. The whole thing cost me a slab of beer to have written.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 5/14/2017 1:58 PM, Ian Field wrote:

wrote in message
"**Yup. I had a guy who brought in an NAD amp for service. It was duly

fixed. He brought it back 2 weeks later for an almost identical repair.
I was surprised, so I checked my records and noted that the serial
numbers failed to match. Arsehole. "

I know I said I almost never call the police, I lock and load, but in
this case I would have called the law and had him charged with fraud.

No doubt its a criminal offence - but so far I've never heard of anyone
filing charges.

It's only criminal if there was intent. This could easily have been a
mistake as someone else pointed out. I'm not saying it *was* a mistake,
but I think there would need to be some proof of intent to get a charge
filed.

As others have said, it would be completely reasonable to fix the
problem and bill the customer. No harm, no foul, you get paid in full.

--

Rick C