Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John Robertson John Robertson is offline

Default N. Cook

On 2017/05/12 2:15 PM, Ian Field wrote:

"John Robertson" wrote in message
On 2017/05/12 10:47 AM, Ian Field wrote:

"Phil Allison" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote:

----------------

I found that signing and dating my repairs made it difficult for
customers
to present entirely different items as returns.

** Recording serial numbers is the usual precaution against that one.

Plus recent repair work is generally visible.

Recent repair work could've been done elsewhere - warranty repairs for
items someone else ****ed up is the oldest trick in the book.

Taking the back off and look if I signed and dated it is *MUCH* easier
than searching through a notebook of longer than phone number serial
numbers.

We have a sticker we put on our customers' boards - it has the shop
name, URL, and work order number (that # is added by pen along with
quantity of boards 1/x, 2/x...x/x).

The sticker serves two purposes - helps us track board repairs when/if
it comes back or customer has trouble, and it is advertising for the
shop - that pays off big time as people buy and sell games all over
the place and I keep getting notes from folks saying something like "I
saw your sticker on a game I just bought - do you service or sell XYZ?"

As far as possible, I avoided dealing with Joe public.

Different market. My shop fixes coin operated amusement machines, hourly
rate is good, and people appreciate us as we are one ot he few
professional shops around that deals with these games.

My customers were small local businesses and recommendations kept me
busy enough.

Other than our customers are mostly private we seem to get a lot of
referrals.

Some of them turned up with a van load at a time.

We keep a wait list (285 folks on the list = bigger shop needed, so
moving this week and next, and have to hire more people) - too many jobs!

John :-#)#

(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com