Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

Default N. Cook

On 13/05/2017 3:47 AM, Ian Field wrote:

"Phil Allison" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote:

----------------

I found that signing and dating my repairs made it difficult for
customers
to present entirely different items as returns.

** Recording serial numbers is the usual precaution against that one.

Plus recent repair work is generally visible.

Recent repair work could've been done elsewhere - warranty repairs for
items someone else ****ed up is the oldest trick in the book.

Taking the back off and look if I signed and dated it is *MUCH* easier
than searching through a notebook of longer than phone number serial
numbers.

**Whilst I have tagged my repairs with a job number and date for a very
long time, I keep an old Windows database (originally ported from dbase
III) where I can search for repairs, by date, customer name, serial
number, job number or even part number. It takes less than a second to
search any parameter. Since the software was originally DOS based, it is
extremely compact (even in Windows form). I can run it from a USB stick
as small as 10MB. The whole thing cost me a slab of beer to have written.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au