Dave M.

Default Sony picture tube

Where can I find a picture tube (cylindrical shape, 1990) and a service
manual for a Sony KV-20EXR10 on the internet? I understand it probably won't
be worth doing. However, the image geometry of the current flat direct view
sets is unacceptable to me.

Thanks,

Dave M.

t.hoehler

"Dave M." wrote in message
Where can I find a picture tube (cylindrical shape, 1990) and a service
manual for a Sony KV-20EXR10 on the internet? I understand it probably

won't
be worth doing. However, the image geometry of the current flat direct

view
sets is unacceptable to me.

Thanks,

Dave M.

Hmmm, with the pitiful commercial tv fare offered today, it's a wonder you

noticed image geometry distortion.

/regards,
Tom

Jerry G.

I have no idea about the net, but you will have to find a scrapper set with
a good tube in it. This will be a very rare find! The tube for your set is
not available from Sony any more.

There are some CRT rebuilders around that may be able to rebuild the old
one. If they can have the electron-gun, they will replace it. The cost is
not cheap. With a rebuilt tube, you are stuck with the old phosphors. If
the phosphors have some burns or wear, you would be stuck with that. But, if
they are acceptable you will have a renewed tube. The rebuilts generally
last about 2 to 3 years.

I myself would prefer a new Wega over the old EXR series. The cost for the
rebuilt tube, including the transport will come close to the same as a new
set, and that is if you do your own installation work. As for the service
manual, there is a chance that it is still available from Sony. I think it
used to cost about $40 to $60 US from Sony, plus the mailing charge, if I
remember correctly.

Remember that when replacing a tube on a very old set with a lot of years on
it, there are many other components that can easily fail soon after. If non
available components fail, you will be out a lot of bucks, having a set with
a newly rebuilt tube, and not repairable. I have seen this from time to time
with persistent customers, when I was in this business.

If you call a Sony service centre in your area, they can tell you where they
are going to have their CRT's rebuilt, if they are doing this type of
service for their customers. Also, they may want to sell you the rebuilt
tube, rather than you going directly.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

"Dave M." wrote in message
Where can I find a picture tube (cylindrical shape, 1990) and a service
manual for a Sony KV-20EXR10 on the internet? I understand it probably won't
be worth doing. However, the image geometry of the current flat direct view
sets is unacceptable to me.

Thanks,

Dave M.

Ken G.

Then you need to check into the new Panasonic flat screen sets they have
a better picture than the new sonys .

Leonard Caillouet

"Ken G." wrote in message
Then you need to check into the new Panasonic flat screen sets they have
a better picture than the new sonys .

What "flat screens" exactly are you referring to? Flat CRTs, PDPs? "Better
picture" is also a very vague statement.

In the case of PDPs the Panasonics have always been a better choice than the
Sonys. The most recent Sonys are actually closer to the Panasonics in
performance than previous models, though the Pansonic is easily a better
display.

In the case of flat CRTs, the differences between the Panasonic and Sony are
typical of those of the past many years. Geometry, purity, and convergence
are similar. Ability to resolve detail is slightly better on good signals
on the Sony. The Panasonics have a softer look that is more forgiving of
lousy signals. The Sony sets seem to over enhance any noise, while the
Panasonics have less of a tendency to do so. Likely due to flatter video
response in the Panasonic and a slightly softer look in the CRT. In terms
of design, personally, I like the newest Sony sets as they seem to be
somewhat more robust, but time will tell in this matter.

Leonard Caillouet

Dave M.

I agree, It's a big investment, but the quality control of this set is very
tight as far as convergence geometry, etc.. , but, I had to replace the STK
series triple regulator twice in this set. Sony must have had a problem with
this chip. The third chip was replaced with an ECG series device. It's been
four years with no problem.

I'm worried, because a new set might not satisfy me.

"Dave M." wrote in message
Where can I find a picture tube (cylindrical shape, 1990) and a service
manual for a Sony KV-20EXR10 on the internet? I understand it probably

won't
be worth doing. However, the image geometry of the current flat direct

view
sets is unacceptable to me.

Thanks,

Dave M.

Dave M.

"Ken G." wrote in message
Then you need to check into the new Panasonic flat screen sets they have
a better picture than the new sonys .

I've always been a fan of Panasonic and not just TV's. The problem with all
three gun sets is the image texture the aperture or shadow mask creates
(Sony's don't do that). Things look smoother. Also, The single beam seams
not to diffuse as much as triple beams in the highlights.

Dave M.

"Leonard Caillouet" wrote in message
"Ken G." wrote in message
[...]

I've always attributed these softness problems to the three beam system.
However, three beam tubes such as Toshibas can be much brighter. Panasonics
look dim to me.

In terms
of design, personally, I like the newest Sony sets as they seem to be
somewhat more robust, but time will tell in this matter.

Leonard Caillouet

King David

Try here.
http://www.partsolver.com/search.asp...+Parts&s=Googl
I saw a manual and lots of parts. Not sure if you will find what you need.
They have a 1-800 number to call and ask for the part.

"Dave M." wrote in message
Where can I find a picture tube (cylindrical shape, 1990) and a service
manual for a Sony KV-20EXR10 on the internet? I understand it probably

won't
be worth doing. However, the image geometry of the current flat direct

view
sets is unacceptable to me.

Thanks,

Dave M.

Jason D.

On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 22:34:59 GMT, "Dave M."
wrote:

I've always attributed these softness problems to the three beam system.
However, three beam tubes such as Toshibas can be much brighter. Panasonics
look dim to me.

Three beam system? Even sony wega still has three guns. Softness or
hardness of details comes from both circuit (filtering & shaping
waveforms) and quality of flyback transformer to supply stable & clean
focus supply.

I know because RCA CRT were used in so many brands, Daewoo has same
CRT (exact same part number) as in other JVC and RCA 27" sets and both
JVC and RCA has good sharpness while Daewoo has nasty too soft look,
ditto to Philips's even on their newest flat CRT, looks nasty and
cheap where flat crt is expected to give stunning pix and quality but
wasn't.

Cheers,

Wizard

In terms
of design, personally, I like the newest Sony sets as they seem to be
somewhat more robust, but time will tell in this matter.

Leonard Caillouet

Ken G.

Very interesting . I work with both of these sets 02 and 03 Sony and
Panasonics from 27`` on up to 36`` all flat CRT sets . These are sitting
on a shelf in a store together with the same signal . The Panasonic
always has the better picture deeper contrast . Both sets have a very
bright picture if you like it up that bright .
The Sonys look great but kinda washed out even with the contrast all the
way up .
Customers and other employees agree .
The 36`` Sonys put out some sort of wierd signal that causes lines in
several sets on the same coax line .
The sonys sell slow because of the over high price .
I dont think much of Sharp brand tubed tv`s but their new flat 32`` set
even looks better and deeper than a Sony .

If you plopped a new Panasonic down in your house and watched it for a
couple weeks you would never miss the old Sony

Leonard Caillouet

wrote:

I've always attributed these softness problems to the three beam system.
However, three beam tubes such as Toshibas can be much brighter.

Panasonics
look dim to me.

This was a very vague generalization that does not fit with my experience,
but then the "dimness" of the Panasonic is not how I would describe the pix.
He is likely confusing sharpness with contrast. One impacts the other to
the extent that transitions in the image give the impression of sharpness
due to a contrast difference, but the real difference that is pervasive in
Panasonics is the lack of excessive edge enhancement. Look at a mutiburst
pattern and the resulting output on a Panasonic compared to a Sony sometime
and it is clear that the video response is flatter on a Panasonic more often
than on a Sony. I have been told that the same is true in their
professional products. The Sony may be less "correct" but may look better
on certain material. My point was that some people may like one better and
some may like the other and it is source quality dependent as well. Making
assumptions about which is "best" is less effective than just looking at
them on varied sources and learning how to adjsut them properly.

Three beam system? Even sony wega still has three guns. Softness or
hardness of details comes from both circuit (filtering & shaping
waveforms) and quality of flyback transformer to supply stable & clean
focus supply.

I am sure he was referring (poorly said) to the fact that the Sony uses a
"unitized" cathode design. Of course all direct view color CRTs use three
cathodes...read up on the differences in CRT design...

I know because RCA CRT were used in so many brands, Daewoo has same
CRT (exact same part number) as in other JVC and RCA 27" sets and both
JVC and RCA has good sharpness while Daewoo has nasty too soft look,
ditto to Philips's even on their newest flat CRT, looks nasty and
cheap where flat crt is expected to give stunning pix and quality but
wasn't.

So are you saying that CRTs don't make a difference? That is as silly a
generalization as the poster you replied to made. Certainly the "look" of a
set has to do with the CRT design and execution as well as with the
associated video processing, deflection and high voltage control.

Even the generalizations that I made in my previous post have to be
qualified. Making sweeping assumptions is the best way to be wrong.

Leonard Caillouet

LASERandDVDfan

If you plopped a new Panasonic down in your house and watched it for a
couple weeks you would never miss the old Sony

Since I play with DVDs quite a bit, I have to stick with Sony.

Panasonic hasn't made a 4:3 display with 16:9 "squeeze" as far as I know.

Besides, when *calibrated properly* (read with no velocity scan modulation and
proper adjustments in the user and service settings) the Sonys are mind blowing
in terms of their picture quality, especially when you see it in action with a
high resolution video source.

As for reliability, I have to agree with Mr. Caillouet. The Sonys have a
better design of the horizontal drive than the Panasonics, for instance.

Plus, with the Pannys, you still have to deal with the inherent weakness of the
shadow mask, while the inherent weakness of the aperture grille doesn't even
compare.

The 36`` Sonys put out some sort of wierd signal that causes lines in
several sets on the same coax line .

Have you tried turning off velocity scanning modulation?

As for my choice if I couldn't get Sony. I'd buy a Toshiba over a Panasonic
anyday. - Reinhart
Dave M.

As I've always seen them, Sony direct view crt sets process poor signals
better with purer color and produce sharper bright detail such as white
text... better than any other set that I've seen. It's indisputable.

wrote:

[...]

Dave M.

wrote:

I've always attributed these softness problems to the three beam system.
However, three beam tubes such as Toshibas can be much brighter.

Panasonics
look dim to me.

Three beam system? Even sony wega still has three guns. Softness or
hardness of details comes from both circuit (filtering & shaping
waveforms) and quality of flyback transformer to supply stable & clean
focus supply.

Sony developed an alternative tube technology known as Trinitron. It
combined the three separate electron guns into one device: Sony refers to
this as a Pan Focus gun. Most interesting of all, Trinitron tubes were made
from sections of a cylinder, vertically flat and horizontally curved, as
opposed to conventional tubes using sections of a sphere which are curved in
both axes. Rather than grouping dots of red, green and blue phosphor in
triads, Trinitron tubes lay their coloured phosphors down in uninterrupted
vertical stripes.

I know because RCA CRT were used in so many brands, Daewoo has same
CRT (exact same part number) as in other JVC and RCA 27" sets and both
JVC and RCA has good sharpness while Daewoo has nasty too soft look,
ditto to Philips's even on their newest flat CRT, looks nasty and
cheap where flat crt is expected to give stunning pix and quality but
wasn't.

Cheers,

Wizard

In terms
of design, personally, I like the newest Sony sets as they seem to be
somewhat more robust, but time will tell in this matter.

Leonard Caillouet

Leonard Caillouet

If it is indisputable then I suppose that I stand corrected. Everyone
should own a Sony and everyone will always have picture postcard perfect
images at all times. No need for HDTV. It is indisputable.

Leonard Caillouet

wrote:

[...]

Jason D.

wrote:

I've always attributed these softness problems to the three beam system.
However, three beam tubes such as Toshibas can be much brighter.

Panasonics
look dim to me.

This was a very vague generalization that does not fit with my experience,
but then the "dimness" of the Panasonic is not how I would describe the pix.

Snip
assumptions about which is "best" is less effective than just looking at
them on varied sources and learning how to adjsut them properly.

Hmm,

I find that decent design in electronics and known decent CRTs like
JVC, RCA, mitsubishi etc produced very nice pictures and excellent
life. I still want no AKB through. it is bit too hard on CRTs and
prematurely cuts down on useful life because most consumers don't mind
that knowing their TV is already older and do have acceptable picture
and still want theirs fixed to extend their current set for awhile
till picture go really lousy or repair cost becomes too high.

Three beam system? Even sony wega still has three guns. Softness or
hardness of details comes from both circuit (filtering & shaping
waveforms) and quality of flyback transformer to supply stable & clean
focus supply.

I am sure he was referring (poorly said) to the fact that the Sony uses a
"unitized" cathode design. Of course all direct view color CRTs use three
cathodes...read up on the differences in CRT design...

Oh? I had taken the books on the CRTs and even broken up few CRTs
including Sony's, we have an Sony 19 shadow mask & frame hanging on
the wall nail & a RCA 13" CRT shadow mask. I took many gun assemblies
from duds.

I know because RCA CRT were used in so many brands, Daewoo has same
CRT (exact same part number) as in other JVC and RCA 27" sets and both
JVC and RCA has good sharpness while Daewoo has nasty too soft look,
ditto to Philips's even on their newest flat CRT, looks nasty and
cheap where flat crt is expected to give stunning pix and quality but
wasn't.

So are you saying that CRTs don't make a difference? That is as silly a
generalization as the poster you replied to made. Certainly the "look" of a
set has to do with the CRT design and execution as well as with the
associated video processing, deflection and high voltage control.

uh huh. Look again, point is even a outstanding CRT can be nullifed
by a poor electronic design (Daewoo's awful chassis using RCA CRT also
looks awful). Keep in mind that RCA produced so many CRTs with
rebranded stickers but the RCA's unique stickers with their unique
fonts and bonded yokes gave source of origin away.

Some JVC sets (usually 32") also used panasonic CRTs and looked really
good but all panasonic sets looks soft and somewhat poor contrast. I
like excellent focus without SVM and best contrast and correct amount
of brightness.

There's no denying that some CRTs is awful especially philips's but
even a awful tube can be still improved with good flyback transformer
design & overall chassis design. Zenith CRT is no contest, it's
total trash.

Leonard Caillouet

Cheers,

Wizard
James Sweet

If it is indisputable then I suppose that I stand corrected. Everyone
should own a Sony and everyone will always have picture postcard perfect
images at all times. No need for HDTV. It is indisputable.

Leonard Caillouet

Well he did give a rather specific condition under which Sony does a better
job, either way I would tend to agree that Sony TV's look significantly
better than anything else I've seen, they're not for everybody because
they're expensive and not everyone cares enough about pic quality. HDTV is a
different beast, Sony makes those too of course, I haven't spent any time
comparing them though.

Jason D.

Well he did give a rather specific condition under which Sony does a better
job, either way I would tend to agree that Sony TV's look significantly
better than anything else I've seen, they're not for everybody because
they're expensive and not everyone cares enough about pic quality. HDTV is a
different beast, Sony makes those too of course, I haven't spent any time
comparing them though.

Sony is nice sets but cost, oh my. And WAS former of one, sony 27"
and it only lasted 3 yr for 800 cdn from sears, (around 1997 or 98) 1
yr warrenty that's bad deal. Tube wore out prematurely, luckily we
got JVC instead on sears's goodwill, still going strong.

JVC and RCA has nice CRT life, mostly have no AKB but note some of
current RCA sets has AKB, and very few JVC models (usually high end)
has AKB.

Speaking of AKB, citizen has it now for quite while now.

A ideal TV I'd be rather like to see SONY's circuitry with manual
convergence (already done in Sony & rebadged Sony monitors) to a
regular pincushion capable RCA CRT without AKB or switcheable off.
This turning off or on AKB was good idea in recent Samsung sets (again
using RCA CRT), I had to troubleshoot this samsung tv by turning AKB
off via service menu and picture finally popped up making fault
symptoms identifable & successfully fixed. Was one small ceramic disk
capacitor (10pF, 50V) gone high resistance made diffcult to find if
without able to switch AKB off. This is one of those newer samsung tv
that plays short melody on power off or on.

Cheers,

Wizard

bev

wrote:

[...]

hi...do you know how to disable the svm on a panasonic tx-28ps12 kind regards
Ken G.

I think the sony name is an emotional thing with some people therefor it
has to be better .