Jerry G.

Default Sony picture tube

I have no idea about the net, but you will have to find a scrapper set with
a good tube in it. This will be a very rare find! The tube for your set is
not available from Sony any more.

There are some CRT rebuilders around that may be able to rebuild the old
one. If they can have the electron-gun, they will replace it. The cost is
not cheap. With a rebuilt tube, you are stuck with the old phosphors. If
the phosphors have some burns or wear, you would be stuck with that. But, if
they are acceptable you will have a renewed tube. The rebuilts generally
last about 2 to 3 years.

I myself would prefer a new Wega over the old EXR series. The cost for the
rebuilt tube, including the transport will come close to the same as a new
set, and that is if you do your own installation work. As for the service
manual, there is a chance that it is still available from Sony. I think it
used to cost about $40 to $60 US from Sony, plus the mailing charge, if I
remember correctly.

Remember that when replacing a tube on a very old set with a lot of years on
it, there are many other components that can easily fail soon after. If non
available components fail, you will be out a lot of bucks, having a set with
a newly rebuilt tube, and not repairable. I have seen this from time to time
with persistent customers, when I was in this business.

If you call a Sony service centre in your area, they can tell you where they
are going to have their CRT's rebuilt, if they are doing this type of
service for their customers. Also, they may want to sell you the rebuilt
tube, rather than you going directly.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

"Dave M." wrote in message
Where can I find a picture tube (cylindrical shape, 1990) and a service
manual for a Sony KV-20EXR10 on the internet? I understand it probably won't
be worth doing. However, the image geometry of the current flat direct view
sets is unacceptable to me.

Thanks,

Dave M.