Jason D.

Default Sony picture tube

Well he did give a rather specific condition under which Sony does a better
job, either way I would tend to agree that Sony TV's look significantly
better than anything else I've seen, they're not for everybody because
they're expensive and not everyone cares enough about pic quality. HDTV is a
different beast, Sony makes those too of course, I haven't spent any time
comparing them though.

Sony is nice sets but cost, oh my. And WAS former of one, sony 27"
and it only lasted 3 yr for 800 cdn from sears, (around 1997 or 98) 1
yr warrenty that's bad deal. Tube wore out prematurely, luckily we
got JVC instead on sears's goodwill, still going strong.

JVC and RCA has nice CRT life, mostly have no AKB but note some of
current RCA sets has AKB, and very few JVC models (usually high end)
has AKB.

Speaking of AKB, citizen has it now for quite while now.

A ideal TV I'd be rather like to see SONY's circuitry with manual
convergence (already done in Sony & rebadged Sony monitors) to a
regular pincushion capable RCA CRT without AKB or switcheable off.
This turning off or on AKB was good idea in recent Samsung sets (again
using RCA CRT), I had to troubleshoot this samsung tv by turning AKB
off via service menu and picture finally popped up making fault
symptoms identifable & successfully fixed. Was one small ceramic disk
capacitor (10pF, 50V) gone high resistance made diffcult to find if
without able to switch AKB off. This is one of those newer samsung tv
that plays short melody on power off or on.

Cheers,

Wizard