LASERandDVDfan

Default Sony picture tube

If you plopped a new Panasonic down in your house and watched it for a
couple weeks you would never miss the old Sony

Since I play with DVDs quite a bit, I have to stick with Sony.

Panasonic hasn't made a 4:3 display with 16:9 "squeeze" as far as I know.

Besides, when *calibrated properly* (read with no velocity scan modulation and
proper adjustments in the user and service settings) the Sonys are mind blowing
in terms of their picture quality, especially when you see it in action with a
high resolution video source.

As for reliability, I have to agree with Mr. Caillouet. The Sonys have a
better design of the horizontal drive than the Panasonics, for instance.

Plus, with the Pannys, you still have to deal with the inherent weakness of the
shadow mask, while the inherent weakness of the aperture grille doesn't even
compare.

The 36`` Sonys put out some sort of wierd signal that causes lines in
several sets on the same coax line .

Have you tried turning off velocity scanning modulation?

As for my choice if I couldn't get Sony. I'd buy a Toshiba over a Panasonic
anyday. - Reinhart