Dave M.

Default Sony picture tube

As I've always seen them, Sony direct view crt sets process poor signals
better with purer color and produce sharper bright detail such as white
text... better than any other set that I've seen. It's indisputable.

"Leonard Caillouet" wrote in message

"Jason D." wrote in message
On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 22:34:59 GMT, "Dave M."
wrote:

I've always attributed these softness problems to the three beam

system.
However, three beam tubes such as Toshibas can be much brighter.

Panasonics
look dim to me.

This was a very vague generalization that does not fit with my experience,
but then the "dimness" of the Panasonic is not how I would describe the

pix.
He is likely confusing sharpness with contrast. One impacts the other to
the extent that transitions in the image give the impression of sharpness
due to a contrast difference, but the real difference that is pervasive in
Panasonics is the lack of excessive edge enhancement. Look at a mutiburst
pattern and the resulting output on a Panasonic compared to a Sony

sometime
and it is clear that the video response is flatter on a Panasonic more

often
than on a Sony. I have been told that the same is true in their
professional products. The Sony may be less "correct" but may look better
on certain material. My point was that some people may like one better

and
some may like the other and it is source quality dependent as well.

Making
assumptions about which is "best" is less effective than just looking at
them on varied sources and learning how to adjsut them properly.

Three beam system? Even sony wega still has three guns. Softness or
hardness of details comes from both circuit (filtering & shaping
waveforms) and quality of flyback transformer to supply stable & clean
focus supply.

I am sure he was referring (poorly said) to the fact that the Sony uses a
"unitized" cathode design. Of course all direct view color CRTs use three
cathodes...read up on the differences in CRT design...

I know because RCA CRT were used in so many brands, Daewoo has same
CRT (exact same part number) as in other JVC and RCA 27" sets and both
JVC and RCA has good sharpness while Daewoo has nasty too soft look,
ditto to Philips's even on their newest flat CRT, looks nasty and
cheap where flat crt is expected to give stunning pix and quality but
wasn't.

So are you saying that CRTs don't make a difference? That is as silly a
generalization as the poster you replied to made. Certainly the "look" of

set has to do with the CRT design and execution as well as with the
associated video processing, deflection and high voltage control.

Even the generalizations that I made in my previous post have to be
qualified. Making sweeping assumptions is the best way to be wrong.

Leonard Caillouet