Jason D.

Default Sony picture tube

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 08:06:15 -0500, "Leonard Caillouet"
wrote:

"Jason D." wrote in message
On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 22:34:59 GMT, "Dave M."
wrote:

I've always attributed these softness problems to the three beam system.
However, three beam tubes such as Toshibas can be much brighter.

Panasonics
look dim to me.

This was a very vague generalization that does not fit with my experience,
but then the "dimness" of the Panasonic is not how I would describe the pix.

Snip
assumptions about which is "best" is less effective than just looking at
them on varied sources and learning how to adjsut them properly.

Hmm,

I find that decent design in electronics and known decent CRTs like
JVC, RCA, mitsubishi etc produced very nice pictures and excellent
life. I still want no AKB through. it is bit too hard on CRTs and
prematurely cuts down on useful life because most consumers don't mind
that knowing their TV is already older and do have acceptable picture
and still want theirs fixed to extend their current set for awhile
till picture go really lousy or repair cost becomes too high.

Three beam system? Even sony wega still has three guns. Softness or
hardness of details comes from both circuit (filtering & shaping
waveforms) and quality of flyback transformer to supply stable & clean
focus supply.

I am sure he was referring (poorly said) to the fact that the Sony uses a
"unitized" cathode design. Of course all direct view color CRTs use three
cathodes...read up on the differences in CRT design...

Oh? I had taken the books on the CRTs and even broken up few CRTs
including Sony's, we have an Sony 19 shadow mask & frame hanging on
the wall nail & a RCA 13" CRT shadow mask. I took many gun assemblies
from duds.

I know because RCA CRT were used in so many brands, Daewoo has same
CRT (exact same part number) as in other JVC and RCA 27" sets and both
JVC and RCA has good sharpness while Daewoo has nasty too soft look,
ditto to Philips's even on their newest flat CRT, looks nasty and
cheap where flat crt is expected to give stunning pix and quality but
wasn't.

So are you saying that CRTs don't make a difference? That is as silly a
generalization as the poster you replied to made. Certainly the "look" of a
set has to do with the CRT design and execution as well as with the
associated video processing, deflection and high voltage control.

uh huh. Look again, point is even a outstanding CRT can be nullifed
by a poor electronic design (Daewoo's awful chassis using RCA CRT also
looks awful). Keep in mind that RCA produced so many CRTs with
rebranded stickers but the RCA's unique stickers with their unique
fonts and bonded yokes gave source of origin away.

Some JVC sets (usually 32") also used panasonic CRTs and looked really
good but all panasonic sets looks soft and somewhat poor contrast. I
like excellent focus without SVM and best contrast and correct amount
of brightness.

There's no denying that some CRTs is awful especially philips's but
even a awful tube can be still improved with good flyback transformer
design & overall chassis design. Zenith CRT is no contest, it's
total trash.

Leonard Caillouet

Cheers,

Wizard