Dave M.

Default Sony picture tube

"Leonard Caillouet" wrote in message
news:MgZIb.31853$F22.24081@lakeread02...
"Ken G." wrote in message
Then you need to check into the new Panasonic flat screen sets they have
a better picture than the new sonys .

What "flat screens" exactly are you referring to? Flat CRTs, PDPs?

"Better
picture" is also a very vague statement.

In the case of PDPs the Panasonics have always been a better choice than

the
Sonys. The most recent Sonys are actually closer to the Panasonics in
performance than previous models, though the Pansonic is easily a better
display.

In the case of flat CRTs, the differences between the Panasonic and Sony

are
typical of those of the past many years. Geometry, purity, and

convergence
are similar. Ability to resolve detail is slightly better on good signals
on the Sony. The Panasonics have a softer look that is more forgiving of
lousy signals. The Sony sets seem to over enhance any noise, while the
Panasonics have less of a tendency to do so. Likely due to flatter video
response in the Panasonic and a slightly softer look in the CRT.

I've always attributed these softness problems to the three beam system.
However, three beam tubes such as Toshibas can be much brighter. Panasonics
look dim to me.

In terms
of design, personally, I like the newest Sony sets as they seem to be
somewhat more robust, but time will tell in this matter.

Leonard Caillouet