Watson A.Name - Watt Sun, Dark Remover

Default Dropping 1V from a Regulated 6V Wall Wart

In article ,
mentioned...
I read in alt.binaries.schematics.electronic that Watson A. Name - Watt
Sun, Dark Remover wrote (in MPG.1a5cbb112ab587
) about 'Dropping 1V from a Regulated 6V
Wall Wart', on Wed, 31 Dec 2003:

I talked about the weird connector,
someone said it's a Belling Lee connector,

That's a coaxial connector, a bit like a phono plug but with a smaller
centre pin. Is that what you have?

AKA Euro or PAL connector.

I'd forget those descriptions if I were you. Certainly the Belling
connector has very little indeed to do with PAL. It is the subject of an
IEC standard - IEC 60169-2.

Yeah, but here in the U.S. you go to Rat Shack and buy a Euro or PAL
adapter, shove it in the socket, and forget about it for the rest of
the life of the equipment. Everything else is done with F connectors,
so it's not really an issue. In fact, I may heat up my big 100W
soldering iron and make the adapter a permanent part of the equipment.
;-)

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@ h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS? Check HERE First:###
Subject: line with other stuff. alondra101 at hotmail.com
Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers. Go to the URL
that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
http://www.everybookstore.com You'll be glad you did!
Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't
changed it: http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html
@@t@h@e@@a@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@m@e@e@t@@t@h@e@@E@f@f@l@ u@e@n@t@@
Watson A.Name - Watt Sun, Dark Remover

In article ,
mentioned...

AwwwRight! You gave me an excuse to use up those TIL430s that I've
got laying around. Awesome! Thank you!

[snip]

Thanks,
- Win

whill_at_picovolt-dot-com

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@ h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS? Check HERE First:###
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/e...s/databank.htm
My email address is whitelisted. *All* email sent to it
goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the
Active8

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 03:22:38 GMT, said...

"Jim Thompson" wrote in message
On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 02:09:44 GMT, Active8
,invalid wrote:

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 01:02:45 GMT,
said...
Hmm. When I hit alt-0233, I get one of these: !

Cheers!
Rich

I can say with cetainty that I received an exclaimation point.

Hopeless?

Maybe not. If what I received is what you sent then the same code
is displaying the same character on the screen on both ends. JW and
I seem to have the same settings (odd because he said he used
winders 98), but you either have your locale set differently or
something I haven't though of.

I'm set for English(United State) - Regional and Language settings
in control panel.

Character map isn't working here for omega so I'd better blow it
off.

alt-0233 = é with NumLock ON or OFF, Win2K machine

...Jim Thompson

On my Win2k machine Alt 130 is the é and Alt 233 is this ?. I use the é a
fair amount because it's in my gf's name.

é 130
T 233 == I'm different here

as JW said earlier, there's a diff between typing and not typing
the leading zero and this is verified in the winders help.

different code pages

ß 0223
é 0233

that question mark you got is what happens when I try to paste on
in from character map.

Good thing we don't have to communicate with these characters.

It's easier to say

..... .- .--. .--. -.-- -. . .--

-.-- . .- .-. ... . -.. !!!

--
Best Regards,
Mike

John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that Rich Grise
wrote (in ) about 'Dropping
1V from a Regulated 6V Wall Wart', on Fri, 2 Jan 2004:

Hmm. When I hit alt-0233, I get one of these: !

On what sort of machine, with what OS?
http://www.isce.org.uk
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!
John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that James Sweet
wrote (in 2u5Jb.254806$_M.1168865@attbi_s54)
about 'Dropping 1V from a Regulated 6V Wall Wart', on Fri, 2 Jan 2004:

On my Win2k machine Alt 130 is the é and Alt 233 is this ?. I use the é a
fair amount because it's in my gf's name.

We are talking about ALT0233, not ALT233. And on this machine with
Win98SE, ALT233 gives Ú. ALT 130 does give é.

What machine and OS are you using?
http://www.isce.org.uk
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!
John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that James Sweet
wrote (in D05Jb.190265$8y1.611511@attbi_s52)
about 'Dropping 1V from a Regulated 6V Wall Wart', on Fri, 2 Jan 2004:
Don't type the leading zero unless it's a 2 digit code, ASCII codes are all
3 digit from 000 to 255.

That ISN'T the way it works. ALT233 gives me Ú, while ALT0233 gives é.
YMMV, it appears, but at present we don't know under what circumstances.
http://www.isce.org.uk
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!

Watson A.Name - Watt Sun, Dark Remover

In article t,
mentioned...
On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 14:29:34 -0800, Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, Dark
Remover" said...
In article ,
mentioned...
I read in sci.electronics.design that Active8 mTHISREMOVEcolasono@earth
link.net wrote (in t
) about 'Dropping 1V from a Regulated 6V Wall Wart', on Tue, 30 Dec
2003:
Ok, I incorrectly guessed Beta (Chaos Master told me how to get
special characters and it doesn't work here)

Doesn't ALT0223 on the numeric keypad, with Num Lock on, work?
ßßß

This alt 0233 -- é looks to me like it's an accented e, as in Jose'
What's it look like to you?

------------------------
Hey Watson. You accidentally typed alt 0233 as you said instead of
alt 0223 like John said

Oops, - ßßß - You're right.

Also, measure your connector & see if that MX 75 O [ == this
little omega looks like a zero. arrrggghhh! No HTML in NNTP
either.]

connector I posted the OD on is close. And if you look back to the
link I posted on these extended ascii codes and other useful (?)
links, you'll see a connector reference link near the top.
-----------------------

I finally found the adapter at Rat Shack.
http://tinyurl.com/2784r

Thanks.

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@ h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS? Check HERE First:###
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/e...s/databank.htm
My email address is whitelisted. *All* email sent to it
goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the
John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that Watson A. Name - Watt Sun, Dark
Remover wrote (in MPG.1a5f3516dea0d48d989af3@n
ews.dslextreme.com) about 'Dropping 1V from a Regulated 6V Wall Wart',
on Fri, 2 Jan 2004:
I finally found the adapter at Rat Shack. http://tinyurl.com/2784r

$3.99? That's for a hundred?

I could make one out of an F panel socket and a Belling-type line socket
for GBP 0.63 at one-off prices from Rapid Electronics in UK

Oh, I suppose at the current exchange rate, that about $4. (;-)

CPC (a Farnell company) has all four permutations of socket/plug for
prices from GBP 0.69 to GBP 1.36 at one-off prices. But delivery is not
free.
[...]

Yeah, well I went over to the battery display when I was in Rat Shack
the other day. They wanted $3 someting for four AA cells, and I can
go over to Fry's (any time, not just 'on sale') and buy four alkaline
AA cells in a blister pack for a buck and a half, less than half RS's
price. Go figure.

So if the adapter was sold by some other electronics store here in
the U.S., it might be only two bucks instead of four. But then that's
how Radio Scrap got a store on every corner, and is known colloquially
as the McDonalds of electronics.

But then someone showed me a URL to Dick Smith Electronics in Oz,
which had this adapter. If I had bought one or two from them, they
would've cost more when considering shipping, etc, and would've taken
a couple weeks to get here. So looking at it from that angle, four
bucks ain't half bad. ;-)

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@ h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS? Check HERE First:###
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/e...s/databank.htm
My email address is whitelisted. *All* email sent to it
goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the
Active8

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 13:42:44 -0800, Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, Dark
Remover" said...
In article ,
mentioned...
[...]

Yeah. That's the only reason I go to RS. Damn! I forgot to order...

--
Best Regards,
Mike

Watson A.Name \Watt Sun - the Dark Remover\

John Stewart wrote:
"Watson A.Name - Watt Sun, Dark Remover" wrote:

In article t,
mentioned...

Watson- Perhaps I missed it but did anyone suggest a Schottky Diode in
series with a regular Silicon Diode to add up to a one volt drop?
There seems to be a wide selection of Schottkys available.
Can't remember how much current you required.

Cheers, John Stewart

Yeah, I suggested it along with the original schem I posted which was
the same as the bias transistor often used in the power amp totem pole
output stage. The 400 ohm pot looked best when set to 280 ohms B to E
and 120 ohms B to C.

Many excellent alternatives. Thank you to all who replied.