Watson A.Name - Watt Sun, Dark Remover

Default Dropping 1V from a Regulated 6V Wall Wart

I needed to drop 1V from a 6VDC 200 mA regulated wall wart, so I tried
a 3 amp rectifier, but it varied by more than .2V over a range of
loads. So I tried this: (view with courier font)

+ From
wall
wart --+

+---+------+
| |
| |
400 \ / 2SC2334 or TIP31
ohm / |/ NPN power TO-220
WW \-----| Heatsink optional
pot / |\
| E\
| |
| |
+----+-----+

+------ +
output
to load
- -------------- -
From wall wart

This has some advantages and disadvantages. It's simple and cheap,
and keeps the output at 5V within a tenth of a volt over a current
range. But it has a minimum current below which it loses regulation
and the output starts to go up to 6V, because the transistor is not
conducting and the current is being supplied thru the ww pot. This
circuit is sometimes used in the bias circuit for the output
transistors in high powered amplifiers. Also Win Hill showed us here
how to use a similar circuit to maintain the voltage steady for a
current regulator circuit used on four AA cell rechargeable batteries.

I'm thinking about putting a 5.1V zener on the output so that if the
voltage climbs above that, it just shunts the excess current. Oh,
yeah, I set the pot to various values to see what the output voltage
was with various loads. The two resistances were 120 ohms for the
upper and 280 ohms for the lower. I suppose the 400 ohms total could
be raised to a higher value, but the transistor needs enough base
current to do its job. There's only 1V available minus the .6V E-B
voltage, so even at 400 ohms, that's not a lot of current.

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@ h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS? Check HERE First:###
Subject: line with other stuff. alondra101 at hotmail.com
Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers. Go to the URL
that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
http://www.everybookstore.com You'll be glad you did!
Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't
changed it: http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html
@@t@h@e@@a@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@m@e@e@t@@t@h@e@@E@f@f@l@ u@e@n@t@@
Spehro Pefhany

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 09:28:53 -0800, the renowned Watson A.Name - "Watt
Sun, Dark Remover" wrote:

I needed to drop 1V from a 6VDC 200 mA regulated wall wart, so I tried
a 3 amp rectifier, but it varied by more than .2V over a range of
loads. So I tried this: (view with courier font)

+ From
wall
wart --+

+---+------+
| |
| |
400 \ / 2SC2334 or TIP31
ohm / |/ NPN power TO-220
WW \-----| Heatsink optional
pot / |\
| E\
| |
| |
+----+-----+

+------ +
output
to load
- -------------- -
From wall wart

[...]

Or just hang a dummy load on the output.. 1K0 or a bit higher (2K0)
ought to do it.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Ross Mac

"Watson A.Name - Watt Sun, Dark Remover" wrote in
message m...

I needed to drop 1V from a 6VDC 200 mA regulated wall wart, so I tried
a 3 amp rectifier, but it varied by more than .2V over a range of
loads. So I tried this: (view with courier font)

+ From
wall
wart --+

+---+------+
| |
| |
400 \ / 2SC2334 or TIP31
ohm / |/ NPN power TO-220
WW \-----| Heatsink optional
pot / |\
| E\
| |
| |
+----+-----+

+------ +
output
to load
- -------------- -
From wall wart

[...]

Why not a 5volt zener and a resistor?....Just a thought...

Jim Thompson

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 09:28:53 -0800, Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, Dark
Remover" wrote:

I needed to drop 1V from a 6VDC 200 mA regulated wall wart, so I tried
a 3 amp rectifier, but it varied by more than .2V over a range of
loads. So I tried this: (view with courier font)

+ From
wall
wart --+

+---+------+
| |
| |
400 \ / 2SC2334 or TIP31
ohm / |/ NPN power TO-220
WW \-----| Heatsink optional
pot / |\
| E\
| |
| |
+----+-----+

+------ +
output
to load
- -------------- -
From wall wart

[...]

Try this...

+ From
wall
wart --+

+---+------+
| |
\ |
/ |
20 \ / 2SC2334 or TIP31
ohm | |/ NPN power TO-220
o------| Heatsink optional
| |\
| E\
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| o----- +
| | output
| / to load
| \
| / 2.2K
__|___/ |
/ /\ |
/ \--------o
/ \ |
-------- |
| TL430 /
| \ 2.7K
| /
| |
| |
| |
- --o----------o------ -

You may need a compensation cap between cathode and control pin.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

John Fields

Remover" wrote:

I needed to drop 1V from a 6VDC 200 mA regulated wall wart,

6VDC------+-----------------+
| |
[R1] |
| |
+-----|+\ C
| | ------B
| +--| / E
| | |
| +----+---------+
| |+ |
[R2] [C1] [RL]
| | |
GND-------+-------+---------+

R1/R2 = 5

C1 = Whatever you need to keep the thing from oscillating; 100µF is
probably a good guess.

--
John Fields

John Fields

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 12:18:19 -0600, John Fields
wrote:

R1/R2 = 5

---
R2/R1 = 5

--
John Fields
John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that John Fields jfields@austininstrum
ents.com wrote (in ) about
'Dropping 1V from a Regulated 6V Wall Wart', on Mon, 29 Dec 2003:
On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 12:18:19 -0600, John Fields
wrote:

R1/R2 = 5

---
R2/R1 = 5

Not always. (;-)
http://www.isce.org.uk
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!
John Fields

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 19:07:59 +0000, John Woodgate
wrote:

I read in sci.electronics.design that John Fields jfields@austininstrum
ents.com wrote (in ) about
'Dropping 1V from a Regulated 6V Wall Wart', on Mon, 29 Dec 2003:
On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 12:18:19 -0600, John Fields
wrote:

R1/R2 = 5

---
R2/R1 = 5

Not always. (;-)

---
I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere... :-)

I meant that for 6V in and 5V into Rl, R2 = 5R1.

--
John Fields
John Woodgate

wrote:

I read in sci.electronics.design that John Fields jfields@austininstrum
ents.com wrote (in ) about
'Dropping 1V from a Regulated 6V Wall Wart', on Mon, 29 Dec 2003:
On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 12:18:19 -0600, John Fields
wrote:

R1/R2 = 5

---
R2/R1 = 5

Not always. (;-)

---
I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere... :-)

I meant that for 6V in and 5V into Rl, R2 = 5R1.

OK, let's go on in the same vein. R2 is not always 5R1; it might be 5R6
or even 47K. (;-)
http://www.isce.org.uk
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!
Bob Parker

What about using a 5V low-dropout voltage regulator?

Bob

wrote:

I needed to drop 1V from a 6VDC 200 mA regulated wall wart, so I tried
a 3 amp rectifier, but it varied by more than .2V over a range of
loads. So I tried this: (view with courier font)

+ From
wall
wart --+

+---+------+
| |
| |
400 \ / 2SC2334 or TIP31
ohm / |/ NPN power TO-220
WW \-----| Heatsink optional
pot / |\
| E\
| |
| |
+----+-----+

+------ +
output
to load
- -------------- -
From wall wart

[...]

Spehro Pefhany

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 20:12:23 GMT, the renowned Active8
,invalid wrote:

I'm thinking 4.3V Zener and a series pass transistor.

Wrong way.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
John Fields

wrote:

I read in sci.electronics.design that John Fields jfields@austininstrum
ents.com wrote (in ) about
'Dropping 1V from a Regulated 6V Wall Wart', on Mon, 29 Dec 2003:
On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 12:18:19 -0600, John Fields
wrote:

R1/R2 = 5

---
R2/R1 = 5

Not always. (;-)

---
I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere... :-)

I meant that for 6V in and 5V into Rl, R2 = 5R1.

OK, let's go on in the same vein. R2 is not always 5R1; it might be 5R6
or even 47K. (;-)

GROANNNN...

OK, it arteried: "In order to assure a voltage of 5VDC across Rl the
resistance of R2 should be five times the resistance of R1." ?^)

--
John Fields
Fred Bloggs

Watson A.Name - Watt Sun, Dark Remover wrote:
I needed to drop 1V from a 6VDC 200 mA regulated wall wart, so I tried
a 3 amp rectifier, but it varied by more than .2V over a range of
loads. So I tried this: (view with courier font)

+ From
wall
wart --+

+---+------+
| |
| |
400 \ / 2SC2334 or TIP31
ohm / |/ NPN power TO-220
WW \-----| Heatsink optional
pot / |\
| E\
| |
| |
+----+-----+

+------ +
output
to load
- -------------- -
From wall wart

[...]

You almost had it- put the Vbe multiplier inside the feedback loop and
buffer like so:

Please view in a fixed-width font such as Courier.

6V ---+------+---------+
| | |
| / |
| 22 |
| / |
| \ c
| | |/
| +-------| TIP31
| | |\
| | e----+-- 5V
| | |
=== | +----+
| c | |
| \| / |
| |----- \ |
| /| / ===
| e \ 1000U
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
GND--+------+---------+----+-- GND

Jim Thompson

Remover" wrote:

I needed to drop 1V from a 6VDC 200 mA regulated wall wart, so I tried
a 3 amp rectifier, but it varied by more than .2V over a range of
loads. So I tried this: (view with courier font)

[snip]

See also "4V-Regulator.pdf" on the S.E.D/Schematics Page of my
website, for a similar application.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

John Fields

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 20:46:53 GMT, Active8
,invalid wrote:

But Mr. Wizard, this *package* says 502 and this one's on
psychedelics.

Why won't this magnet pick up this floppy disk?

---
It will, Timmy, you just have to know how to do it.

For a clue, check out "Magnet lifting floppy" on a.b.s.e.

--
John Fields
Fred Bloggs

Fred Bloggs wrote:

Watson A.Name - Watt Sun, Dark Remover wrote:

I needed to drop 1V from a 6VDC 200 mA regulated wall wart, so I tried
a 3 amp rectifier, but it varied by more than .2V over a range of
loads. So I tried this: (view with courier font)

+ From
wall
wart --+ |
+---+------+
| |
| |
400 \ / 2SC2334 or TIP31
ohm / |/ NPN power TO-220
WW \-----| Heatsink optional
pot / |\
| E\ | |
| |
+----+-----+
| |
+------ + output
to load
- -------------- -
From wall wart

This has some advantages and disadvantages. It's simple and cheap,
and keeps the output at 5V within a tenth of a volt over a current
range. But it has a minimum current below which it loses regulation
and the output starts to go up to 6V, because the transistor is not
conducting and the current is being supplied thru the ww pot. This
circuit is sometimes used in the bias circuit for the output
transistors in high powered amplifiers. Also Win Hill showed us here
how to use a similar circuit to maintain the voltage steady for a
current regulator circuit used on four AA cell rechargeable batteries.

I'm thinking about putting a 5.1V zener on the output so that if the
voltage climbs above that, it just shunts the excess current. Oh,
yeah, I set the pot to various values to see what the output voltage
was with various loads. The two resistances were 120 ohms for the
upper and 280 ohms for the lower. I suppose the 400 ohms total could
be raised to a higher value, but the transistor needs enough base
current to do its job. There's only 1V available minus the .6V E-B
voltage, so even at 400 ohms, that's not a lot of current.

You almost had it- put the Vbe multiplier inside the feedback loop and
buffer like so:

Please view in a fixed-width font such as Courier.

6V ---+------+---------+
| | |
| / |
| 22 |
| / |
| \ c
| | |/
| +-------| TIP31
| | |\
| | e----+-- 5V
| | |
=== | +----+
| c | |
| \| / |
| |----- \ |
| /| / ===
| e \ 1000U
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
GND--+------+---------+----+-- GND

Then you can work a common 5.1V zener into the equation like so:
Use a 2N3906 for the pnp for Vbe,max=6V rating.

Please view in a fixed-width font such as Courier.

6V ---+--------+----------+-------------+
| | | |
| / / |
| 22 51 |
| / / |
| \ \ c
| +----------|-----------| TIP31
| | | |\
| | | e----+-- 5V
| c | |
| \| | pnp |
| npn |--+-----|-------- c e---+
| /| | | \ / |
| e | | ---- |
=== | | | 180 | |
| | | +----/\/\---+ |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | / _/ / ===
| | 1K /^ 5.1v 1.2K 1000U
| | / - / |
| | \ | \ |
| | | | | |
GND--+--------+----+-----+-----------+------+-- GND

Bill Garber

"Fred Bloggs" wrote in message
:
: Fred Bloggs wrote:
:
: Watson A.Name - Watt Sun, Dark Remover wrote:
:
: I needed to drop 1V from a 6VDC 200 mA regulated wall wart,
so I tried
: a 3 amp rectifier, but it varied by more than .2V over a
range of
: loads. So I tried this: (view with courier font)
:
: + From
: wall
: wart --+ |
: +---+------+
: | |
: | |
: 400 \ / 2SC2334 or TIP31
: ohm / |/ NPN power TO-220
: WW \-----| Heatsink optional
: pot / |\
: | E\ | |
: | |
: +----+-----+
: | |
: +------ + output
: to load
: - -------------- -
: From wall wart
:
[...]
: | | |
: | / |
: | 22 |
: | / |
: | \ c
: | | |/
: | +-------| TIP31
: | | |\
: | | e----+-- 5V
: | | |
: === | +----+
: | c | |
: | \| / |
: | |----- \ |
: | /| / ===
: | e \ 1000U
: | | | |
: | | | |
: | | | |
: GND--+------+---------+----+-- GND
:
:
: Then you can work a common 5.1V zener into the equation like
so:
: Use a 2N3906 for the pnp for Vbe,max=6V rating.
:
: Please view in a fixed-width font such as Courier.
:
:
:
:
:
: 6V ---+--------+----------+-------------+
: | | | |
: | / / |
: | 22 51 |
: | / / |
: | \ \ c
: | | | |/
: | +----------|-----------| TIP31
: | | | |\
: | | | e----+-- 5V
: | c | |
: | \| | pnp |
: | npn |--+-----|-------- c e---+
: | /| | | \ / |
: | e | | ---- |
: === | | | 180 | |
: | | | +----/\/\---+ |
: | | | | | |
: | | | | | |
: | | / _/ / ===
: | | 1K /^ 5.1v 1.2K 1000U
: | | / - / |
: | | \ | \ |
: | | | | | |
: GND--+--------+----+-----+-----------+------+-- GND

It's getting bigger. Soon he'll need a 2nd
breadboard to build and test this thing. ;-)

Bill @ GarberStreet Enterprizez };-)
Web Site - http://garberstreet.netfirms.com
Email -
Remove - SPAM and X to contact me

---
This email ain't infected, dude!

Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Fred Bloggs

Fred Bloggs wrote:
[snip]

This one will make the output tempco essentially that of the zener which
is not bad for the 5.1V's. Ripple rejection is lacking due to the low
overhead -at 14dB, but your 6V is regulated anyway.

Please view in a fixed-width font such as Courier.

6V ---+--------+----------+-------------+
| | | |
| / / |
| 22 51 |
| / / |
| \ \ c
| +----------|-----------| TIP31
| | | |\
| | | e----+-- 5V
| c | |
| \| | pnp |
| npn |--+-----|-------- c e---+
| /| | | \ / |
| e | | ---- |
=== | | | 1N4148 | |
| | | +----||----+ |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | / _/ / ===
| | 1K /^ 5.1v 1.2K 1000U
| | / - / |
| | \ | \ |
| | | | | |
GND--+--------+----+-----+-----------+------+-- GND

mike

Watson A.Name - Watt Sun, Dark Remover wrote:
I needed to drop 1V from a 6VDC 200 mA regulated wall wart, so I tried
a 3 amp rectifier, but it varied by more than .2V over a range of
loads. So I tried this: (view with courier font)

+ From
wall
wart --+

+---+------+
| |
| |
400 \ / 2SC2334 or TIP31
ohm / |/ NPN power TO-220
WW \-----| Heatsink optional
pot / |\
| E\
| |
| |
+----+-----+

+------ +
output
to load
- -------------- -
From wall wart

[...]

I've tried to do this on numerous occasions. If you need any amount
of current at all, the big lump of stuff makes it too unweildy, even if you
do bite the bullet and put in a complex circuit that works.

Now, for regulated warts, I crack the case and shunt a resistor inside
the wall wart. You can add a switch if you have multiple applications.
If you need both voltages at once, it's still easier to use two
warts than to have this lump of regulator stuff hanging about.

I'm a little confused by your requirements. If you even considered a
diode, you can't be too concerned about the actual voltage...but you're
concerned about the .2V variability. Sounds like there's something
in there that's important but not disclosed???
mike

--
Return address is VALID.
Toshiba & Compaq LiIon Batteries, Test Equipment

Watson A.Name - Watt Sun, Dark Remover

In article uMZHb.254877$Ec1.8820445@bgtnsc05-
news.ops.worldnet.att.net, lid
mentioned...

"Watson A.Name - Watt Sun, Dark Remover" wrote in
message m...

I needed to drop 1V from a 6VDC 200 mA regulated wall wart, so I tried
a 3 amp rectifier, but it varied by more than .2V over a range of
loads. So I tried this: (view with courier font)

+ From
wall
wart --+

+---+------+
| |
| |
400 \ / 2SC2334 or TIP31
ohm / |/ NPN power TO-220
WW \-----| Heatsink optional
pot / |\
| E\
| |
| |
+----+-----+

+------ +
output
to load
- -------------- -
From wall wart

[...]

Well, the output of the wall wart is already regulated to 6V at 200
mA. But 1V at 200 mA is going to require a 5 ohm resistor. And the
zener will have to dissipate a lot of wasted power. And the wall wart
may not like being run at its max and overheat. Using the 1 amp
rectifier in series with the output dropped about .6 to .8V, depending
on current, which isn't all that bad a regulation. But the circuit I
drew above gives a voltage closer to 5V over a wider range of load
currents. I suppose I could've used a LDO 5V regulator, but then the
output's already regulated.

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@ h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS? Check HERE First:###
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/e...s/databank.htm
My email address is whitelisted. *All* email sent to it
goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the
Watson A.Name - Watt Sun, Dark Remover

In article ,
mentioned...
Remover" wrote:

I needed to drop 1V from a 6VDC 200 mA regulated wall wart,

6VDC------+-----------------+
| |
[R1] |
| |
+-----|+\ C
| | ------B
| +--| / E
| | |
| +----+---------+
| |+ |
[R2] [C1] [RL]
| | |
GND-------+-------+---------+

R1/R2 = 5

C1 = Whatever you need to keep the thing from oscillating; 100µF is
probably a good guess.

Thanks, but I think someone snipped the part where I said that I was
trying to get this to fit across the pins of the RF modulator, and
that the wall wart was already regulated. I guess I could do it if it
was surface mount parts, but I'm not experienced with those. What
kind of opamp works down to only 6V? A LM358? In order to put out 5V
at the emitter, it would have to swing the base to 5.7 or more volts
at 200 mA, so the opamp would have to swing close to the positive
rail. Maybe a better idea would be to use a PNP for the emitter
follower.

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@ h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS? Check HERE First:###
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/e...s/databank.htm
My email address is whitelisted. *All* email sent to it
goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the
Watson A.Name - Watt Sun, Dark Remover

In article t,
mentioned...
On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 19:54:47 +0000,

said...
wrote:

I read in sci.electronics.design that John Fields jfields@austininstrum
ents.com wrote (in ) about
'Dropping 1V from a Regulated 6V Wall Wart', on Mon, 29 Dec 2003:
On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 12:18:19 -0600, John Fields
wrote:

R1/R2 = 5

---
R2/R1 = 5

Not always. (;-)

---
I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere... :-)

I meant that for 6V in and 5V into Rl, R2 = 5R1.

OK, let's go on in the same vein. R2 is not always 5R1; it might be 5R6
or even 47K. (;-)

But Mr. Wizard, this *package* says 502 and this one's on
psychedelics.

Why won't this magnet pick up this floppy disk?

Man, what did I start? Buncha pedants.

BTW, I scrapped a couple old half gig hard drives, and took out the
magnets. Those things are powerfull little devils! Made out of
Nicodemus or some other exotic sounding materials. ;-) But I held
the magnet to the platter and it literally won't even attract the
plated coating on the aluminum. I guess it's so thin that it's like
it's not even there!

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@ h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS? Check HERE First:###
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/e...s/databank.htm
My email address is whitelisted. *All* email sent to it
goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the
Watson A.Name - Watt Sun, Dark Remover

In article t,
mentioned...
On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 20:36:46 GMT,

said...
On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 20:16:37 GMT,
what
said...
,invalid wrote:

I'm thinking 4.3V Zener and a series pass transistor.

Wrong way.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Why?

NEver mind. I tried to cancel this but Gravity thinks I didn't post
this.

Still at TARFU level, I guess.

OK 5.6V zener, solly.

I think the emitter to base voltage will be something like .6 to .75V,
and this has to be subtracted from the 1V diff, leaving something like
..4 to .25V. This very low voltage is what you have to work with when
coming up with the resistor value to limit the current to the zener.

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@ h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS? Check HERE First:###
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/e...s/databank.htm
My email address is whitelisted. *All* email sent to it
goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the
Watson A.Name - Watt Sun, Dark Remover

In article ,
mentioned...

Watson A.Name - Watt Sun, Dark Remover wrote:
I needed to drop 1V from a 6VDC 200 mA regulated wall wart, so I tried
a 3 amp rectifier, but it varied by more than .2V over a range of
loads. So I tried this: (view with courier font)

+ From
wall
wart --+

+---+------+
| |
| |
400 \ / 2SC2334 or TIP31
ohm / |/ NPN power TO-220
WW \-----| Heatsink optional
pot / |\
| E\
| |
| |
+----+-----+

+------ +
output
to load
- -------------- -
From wall wart

This has some advantages and disadvantages. It's simple and cheap,
and keeps the output at 5V within a tenth of a volt over a current
range. But it has a minimum current below which it loses regulation
and the output starts to go up to 6V, because the transistor is not
conducting and the current is being supplied thru the ww pot. This
circuit is sometimes used in the bias circuit for the output
transistors in high powered amplifiers. Also Win Hill showed us here
how to use a similar circuit to maintain the voltage steady for a
current regulator circuit used on four AA cell rechargeable batteries.

I'm thinking about putting a 5.1V zener on the output so that if the
voltage climbs above that, it just shunts the excess current. Oh,
yeah, I set the pot to various values to see what the output voltage
was with various loads. The two resistances were 120 ohms for the
upper and 280 ohms for the lower. I suppose the 400 ohms total could
be raised to a higher value, but the transistor needs enough base
current to do its job. There's only 1V available minus the .6V E-B
voltage, so even at 400 ohms, that's not a lot of current.

You almost had it- put the Vbe multiplier inside the feedback loop and
buffer like so:

Please view in a fixed-width font such as Courier.

6V ---+------+---------+
| | |
| / |
| 22 |
| / |
| \ c
| | |/
| +-------| TIP31
| | |\
| | e----+-- 5V
| | |
=== | +----+
| c | |
| \| / |
| |----- \ |
| /| / ===
| e \ 1000U
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
GND--+------+---------+----+-- GND

I'll toss one together, but what value should I use for the Pot? 10k?
Lower?

This looks a lot like the current limiter circuit, 'cept for the pot.
I'm wondering if it's such a good idea to have such a large cap on the
output. When the wall wart is powered off, all that current tries to
go backwards thru the pass transistor.

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@ h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS? Check HERE First:###
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/e...s/databank.htm
My email address is whitelisted. *All* email sent to it
goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the

Active8

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 02:52:49 -0800, Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, Dark
Remover" said...

snip massive headers. christ on a crutch! did we need all that
info?

R1/R2 = 5

---
R2/R1 = 5

Not always. (;-)

---
I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere... :-)

I meant that for 6V in and 5V into Rl, R2 = 5R1.

OK, let's go on in the same vein. R2 is not always 5R1; it might be 5R6
or even 47K. (;-)

But Mr. Wizard, this *package* says 502 and this one's on
psychedelics.

Why won't this magnet pick up this floppy disk?

Man, what did I start? Buncha pedants.

Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk.

BTW, I scrapped a couple old half gig hard drives, and took out the
magnets. Those things are powerfull little devils! Made out of
Nicodemus

LOL i love it! Neodymium or Neodium (either a misspell or a TM).
Good one, man.

Nostrildumbass. I love playing with woids.

Bone swar, moan sewer.

or some other exotic sounding materials. ;-) But I held
the magnet to the platter and it literally won't even attract the
plated coating on the aluminum. I guess it's so thin that it's like
it's not even there!

Yup. I read an article about IBM developing a new process where
it's so excruciatingly absoposifriggintutely thin that it doubles
the density. They should've been out by now. Another article/AD
(EDN or something) described a process to photoetch(?) the R/W
heads, too. I think it was a matrix of heads.

BTW. I said I was "thinking" series pass reg b4. I think I've never
seen one drop 6V to 5V, either. I figgered since you already had a
trans and a hulking ww pot and were thinking zener...

Now you're talking about size and RF modulator which you never
mentioned. What gives, Watson?

--
Best Regards,
Mike
John Fields

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 01:32:13 -0800, Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, Dark
Remover" wrote:

I suppose I could've used a LDO 5V regulator, but then the
output's already regulated.

---
Yes, but the 5V output isn't at low currents, as you've already stated.

The LDO will make that problem go away.

--
John Fields
Asimov

"Spehro Pefhany" bravely wrote to "All" (29 Dec 03 20:16:37)
--- on the heady topic of " Dropping 1V from a Regulated 6V Wall Wart"

SP Xref: aeinews sci.electronics.misc:8735 sci.electronics.design:31375
SP sci.electronics.repair:16164 alt.binaries.schematics.electronic:7314

Would "you people", please, stop crossposting into sci.electronics.repair?
Thanks In Advance!

.... # --- electrocuted tribble

John Fields

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 12:36:45 GMT, Active8
,invalid wrote:

Rough guess...

---+------------------+
| |
| 10 |
| ___ |/
+---|___|---+----|
| |
| |
- |
5.6 500mW ^ +---------

-------------+----------------

---
Closer guess:

Ib ~ Ie/ß = 200mA/100 = 2mA

IZt = 20mA

R = (Vin-VZ)/(IZt+Ib) = 0.4V/0.022A = 18.18...R ~ 20R

--
John Fields
Watson A.Name - Watt Sun, Dark Remover

In article ,
mentioned...
On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 12:36:45 GMT, Active8
,invalid wrote:

Rough guess...

---+------------------+
| |
| 10 |
| ___ |/
+---|___|---+----|
| |
| |
- |
5.6 500mW ^ +---------

-------------+----------------

---
Closer guess:

Ib ~ Ie/ß = 200mA/100 = 2mA

IZt = 20mA

R = (Vin-VZ)/(IZt+Ib) = 0.4V/0.022A = 18.18...R ~ 20R

Yeah, I was thinking something really low like that.

But these approaches have been to establish a new regulated voltage,
dependent on the value of the zener. There's nothing wrong with this,
but it would be simpler to just use a LDO 5V regulator as someone
suggested.

I figured that since the 6V input was already well regulated, that it
would be easy to just drop a single volt. My subject: line kind of
said that. And if I use a 1N4002 inline with the input, it gives me
5.4 to 5.2V or so, over most of the current range, which is not all
that bad. And I did say I wanted to keep it simple. It's not that
I'm unappreciative of all the input others have given, it's been a
good learning experience seeing these neat little circuits. I've
saved many of them to disk, to experiment with later. So I thank all
who contributed.

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@ h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS? Check HERE First:###
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/e...s/databank.htm
My email address is whitelisted. *All* email sent to it
goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the
Wade Hassler

Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, Dark Remover" wrote in message om...
I needed to drop 1V from a 6VDC 200 mA regulated wall wart, so I tried
a 3 amp rectifier, but it varied by more than .2V over a range of
loads. So I tried this: (view with courier font)

+ From
wall
wart --+

+---+------+
| |
| |
400 \ / 2SC2334 or TIP31
ohm / |/ NPN power TO-220
WW \-----| Heatsink optional
pot / |\
| E\
| |
| |
+----+-----+

+------ +
output
to load
- -------------- -
From wall wart

[...]

I did this a while back. Replaced the 7806 in the wall wart with a 7805.
Wade
Active8

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 08:28:53 -0800, Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, Dark
Remover" said...
In article ,
mentioned...
On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 12:36:45 GMT, Active8
,invalid wrote:

Rough guess...

---+------------------+
| |
| 10 |
| ___ |/
+---|___|---+----|
| |
| |
- |
5.6 500mW ^ +---------

-------------+----------------

---
Closer guess:

Ib ~ Ie/ß = 200mA/100 = 2mA

IZt = 20mA

R = (Vin-VZ)/(IZt+Ib) = 0.4V/0.022A = 18.18...R ~ 20R

Yeah, I was thinking something really low like that.

But these approaches have been to establish a new regulated voltage,
dependent on the value of the zener. There's nothing wrong with this,
but it would be simpler to just use a LDO 5V regulator as someone
suggested.

I figured that since the 6V input was already well regulated, that it
would be easy to just drop a single volt. My subject: line kind of
said that. And if I use a 1N4002 inline with the input, it gives me
5.4 to 5.2V or so, over most of the current range, which is not all
that bad. And I did say I wanted to keep it simple.

I'll trade a pot for a zener and R anyday, but I haven't looked at
what this thing will do over the full current range. It's so close
to what you started with, I thought it would be a snap to check
out.

It's not that
I'm unappreciative of all the input others have given, it's been a
good learning experience seeing these neat little circuits. I've
saved many of them to disk, to experiment with later. So I thank all
who contributed.

I'm just glad to find an electronics post or 2 lately. Lots of long
OT stuff I'm guilty! I feed it, but it's fun.

--
Best Regards,
Mike