Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

Default Looking for a Low Cost On Delay Timer

Names can be confusing, so here's what I'm doing....

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/7434/wvm.gif

When 12VDC is applied to the input, I need a 12VDC output for 5 seconds. Then output will go back off and stay off until the input goes to zero. Then cycle starts again.

Current for both legs is in the 10-50ma range.

A simple on-delay timer would work but I'm having trouble finding one with NC contacts. Tons of stuff $100+, but for this application, it has to be under $20.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 14:12:28 -0700, "Guv Bob"
wrote:

Names can be confusing, so here's what I'm doing....

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/7434/wvm.gif

When 12VDC is applied to the input, I need a 12VDC output for 5 seconds. Then output will go back off and stay off until the input goes to zero. Then cycle starts again.

Current for both legs is in the 10-50ma range.

A simple on-delay timer would work but I'm having trouble finding one with NC contacts. Tons of stuff $100+, but for this application, it has to be under $20.

---
For way under $20, this'll work, and if you need NC contacts, all
you'll have to do is put either a solid state relay or a mechanical
relay with a catch diode across the LED.

Version 4
SHEET 1 880 680
WIRE 0 -48 -128 -48
WIRE 160 -48 0 -48
WIRE 256 -48 160 -48
WIRE 352 -48 256 -48
WIRE 400 -48 352 -48
WIRE 528 -48 480 -48
WIRE 528 -16 528 -48
WIRE 0 0 0 -48
WIRE 160 0 160 -48
WIRE 352 0 352 -48
WIRE 528 80 528 48
WIRE 256 96 256 -48
WIRE 0 112 0 80
WIRE 224 112 0 112
WIRE -128 128 -128 -48
WIRE -96 128 -128 128
WIRE 0 128 0 112
WIRE 0 128 -32 128
WIRE 352 128 352 80
WIRE 352 128 288 128
WIRE 464 128 352 128
WIRE 160 144 160 80
WIRE 224 144 160 144
WIRE -128 176 -128 128
WIRE 0 176 0 128
WIRE 160 176 160 144
WIRE 528 256 528 176
WIRE -128 288 -128 256
WIRE 0 288 0 240
WIRE 0 288 -128 288
WIRE 160 288 160 256
WIRE 160 288 0 288
WIRE 256 288 256 160
WIRE 256 288 160 288
WIRE -128 320 -128 288
FLAG 528 256 0
FLAG -128 320 0
SYMBOL Comparators\\LT1017 256 128 R0
WINDOW 0 27 24 Left 2
WINDOW 3 12 52 Left 2
SYMATTR InstName U1
SYMBOL npn 464 80 R0
SYMATTR InstName Q1
SYMATTR Value 2N3904
SYMBOL res 336 -16 R0
SYMATTR InstName R1
SYMATTR Value 10k
SYMBOL res 496 -64 R90
WINDOW 0 0 56 VBottom 2
WINDOW 3 32 56 VTop 2
SYMATTR InstName R2
SYMATTR Value 680
SYMBOL LED 512 -16 R0
SYMATTR InstName D3
SYMATTR Value NSCW100
SYMBOL res 144 -16 R0
SYMATTR InstName R3
SYMATTR Value 100k
SYMBOL res 144 160 R0
SYMATTR InstName R4
SYMATTR Value 150k
SYMBOL cap -16 176 R0
SYMATTR InstName C1
SYMATTR Value 0.47µ
SYMBOL res -16 -16 R0
SYMATTR InstName R5
SYMATTR Value 10meg
SYMBOL voltage -128 160 R0
WINDOW 3 24 96 Invisible 2
WINDOW 123 0 0 Left 2
WINDOW 39 0 0 Left 2
SYMATTR InstName V1
SYMATTR Value PULSE(0 12 1 10ms 10ms 5s 10s)
SYMBOL diode -32 112 R90
WINDOW 0 -38 31 VBottom 2
WINDOW 3 -33 37 VTop 2
SYMATTR InstName D2
SYMATTR Value 1N4148
TEXT -162 344 Left 2 !.tran 20 startup

--
JF
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Names can be confusing, so here's what I'm doing....

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/7434/wvm.gif

When 12VDC is applied to the input, I need a 12VDC output for 5 seconds. Then output will go back off and stay off until the input goes to zero. Then cycle starts again.

Current for both legs is in the 10-50ma range.

A simple on-delay timer would work but I'm having trouble finding one with NC contacts. Tons of stuff $100+, but for this application, it has to be under $20.

---
For way under $20, this'll work, and if you need NC contacts, all
you'll have to do is put either a solid state relay or a mechanical
relay with a catch diode across the LED.

Thanks John, I'm not following you. Can you sketch the circuit?

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Names can be confusing, so here's what I'm doing....

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/7434/wvm.gif

When 12VDC is applied to the input, I need a 12VDC output for 5 seconds. Then output will go back off and stay off until the input goes to zero. Then cycle starts again.

Current for both legs is in the 10-50ma range.

A simple on-delay timer would work but I'm having trouble finding one with NC contacts. Tons of stuff $100+, but for this application, it has to be under $20.

---
For way under $20, this'll work, and if you need NC contacts, all
you'll have to do is put either a solid state relay or a mechanical
relay with a catch diode across the LED.

Thanks John, I'm not following you. Can you sketch the circuit?

---
Sure.

View with a fixed-pitch font like Courier New:

GND-\ - +12
O-----+----+---+---+------+-----+-------+ +--------NO
|K | | | | | [1N4148] [COIL]- - - -\
[1N4148][7M5][100K]| [10K] [LED] | |
| |Rt | | | |K | |
| | | | | |
+-----+----|--|-\ | C
| | | -+----B 2N3904
|Ct +--|+/U1 E Q1
[1µF] | | |
| [100K]| |
| | | |
GND--------+----+---+----------+

U1 is any comparator with an input resistance which won't swamp Rt,
and an open-collector output (or an output with a weak pullup to Vcc)
which can sink a few mA without letting Q1 go out of saturation.

So, what's your application?

--
JF
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Names can be confusing, so here's what I'm doing....

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/7434/wvm.gif

When 12VDC is applied to the input, I need a 12VDC output for 5 seconds. Then output will go back off and stay off until the input goes to zero. Then cycle starts again.

Current for both legs is in the 10-50ma range.

A simple on-delay timer would work but I'm having trouble finding one with NC contacts. Tons of stuff $100+, but for this application, it has to be under $20.

---
For way under $20, this'll work, and if you need NC contacts, all
you'll have to do is put either a solid state relay or a mechanical
relay with a catch diode across the LED.

Thanks John, I'm not following you. Can you sketch the circuit?

---
Sure.

View with a fixed-pitch font like Courier New:

GND-\ - +12
O-----+----+---+---+------+-----+-------+ +--------NO
|K | | | | | [1N4148] [COIL]- - - -\
[1N4148][7M5][100K]| [10K] [LED] | |
| |Rt | | | |K | |
| | | | | |
+-----+----|--|-\ | C
| | | -+----B 2N3904
|Ct +--|+/U1 E Q1
[1µF] | | |
| [100K]| |
| | | |
GND--------+----+---+----------+

U1 is any comparator with an input resistance which won't swamp Rt,
and an open-collector output (or an output with a weak pullup to Vcc)
which can sink a few mA without letting Q1 go out of saturation.

So, what's your application?

--
JF

Thanks again! Would this work?

NTE955M Timer, (555 Type), 200 mA Iout, CMOS 8 DIP 1.20
http://www.alliedelec.com/search/pro...x?sku=70215850

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Names can be confusing, so here's what I'm doing....

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/7434/wvm.gif

When 12VDC is applied to the input, I need a 12VDC output for 5 seconds. Then output will go back off and stay off until the input goes to zero. Then cycle starts again.

Current for both legs is in the 10-50ma range.

A simple on-delay timer would work but I'm having trouble finding one with NC contacts. Tons of stuff $100+, but for this application, it has to be under $20.

---
For way under $20, this'll work, and if you need NC contacts, all
you'll have to do is put either a solid state relay or a mechanical
relay with a catch diode across the LED.

Thanks John, I'm not following you. Can you sketch the circuit?

---
Sure.

View with a fixed-pitch font like Courier New:

GND-\ - +12
O-----+----+---+---+------+-----+-------+ +--------NO
|K | | | | | [1N4148] [COIL]- - - -\
[1N4148][7M5][100K]| [10K] [LED] | |
| |Rt | | | |K | |
| | | | | |
+-----+----|--|-\ | C
| | | -+----B 2N3904
|Ct +--|+/U1 E Q1
[1µF] | | |
| [100K]| |
| | | |
GND--------+----+---+----------+

U1 is any comparator with an input resistance which won't swamp Rt,
and an open-collector output (or an output with a weak pullup to Vcc)
which can sink a few mA without letting Q1 go out of saturation.

So, what's your application?

--
JF

Thanks again! Would this work?

NTE955M Timer, (555 Type), 200 mA Iout, CMOS 8 DIP 1.20
http://www.alliedelec.com/search/pro...x?sku=70215850

---
If you can work out how to trigger it on the rising edge you said you
wanted your timer to, it might, but $1.20 is a little high for a 555.

--
JF
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Names can be confusing, so here's what I'm doing....

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/7434/wvm.gif

When 12VDC is applied to the input, I need a 12VDC output for 5 seconds. Then output will go back off and stay off until the input goes to zero. Then cycle starts again.

Current for both legs is in the 10-50ma range.

A simple on-delay timer would work but I'm having trouble finding one with NC contacts. Tons of stuff $100+, but for this application, it has to be under $20.

---

For way under $20, this'll work, and if you need NC contacts, all

you'll have to do is put either a solid state relay or a mechanical

relay with a catch diode across the LED.

Thanks John, I'm not following you. Can you sketch the circuit?

---

Sure.

View with a fixed-pitch font like Courier New:

GND-\ - +12

O-----+----+---+---+------+-----+-------+ +--------NO

|K | | | | | [1N4148] [COIL]- - - -\

[1N4148][7M5][100K]| [10K] [LED] | |

| |Rt | | | |K | |

| | | | | |

+-----+----|--|-\ | C

| | | -+----B 2N3904

|Ct +--|+/U1 E Q1

[1µF] | | |

| [100K]| |

| | | |

GND--------+----+---+----------+

U1 is any comparator with an input resistance which won't swamp Rt,

and an open-collector output (or an output with a weak pullup to Vcc)

which can sink a few mA without letting Q1 go out of saturation.

So, what's your application?

--

JF

Thanks again! Would this work?

NTE955M Timer, (555 Type), 200 mA Iout, CMOS 8 DIP 1.20

http://www.alliedelec.com/search/pro...x?sku=70215850

I was going to say this sounded like a perfect fit for a 555 timer.
(So what's the best RC combo to get 5 seconds from a 555?)

George H.

I used to know all that stuff by heart, but I've been swapping modules too long. This not the usual rush job, so it's a nice change to be able to spend some time on it. Now I'm off to re-learn all the RC stuff.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

On 2013-08-21, Guv Bob wrote:
On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 14:12:28 -0700, "Guv Bob"

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/7434/wvm.gif

Thanks again! Would this work?

NTE955M Timer, (555 Type), 200 mA Iout, CMOS 8 DIP 1.20
http://www.alliedelec.com/search/pro...x?sku=70215850

Maybe like this:

in------+-------------+
| |
| . . . .|. . . .
| . VCC(8) .
| . .
+-----+-------RES(4) OUT(3)------ out
_|_ | . 555 .
D1 A [R1] +---TH(6) DIS(7)--
'T` | | . .
+-----+---+---TR(2) CV(5)--
C1 ===== . GND(1) .
| . . . .|. . . .
| |
----+-------------+---
ground

U1 LMC555 / 7555
D1 1N914
C1 10uF
R1 470K

--
š‚šƒ 100% natural

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

On 2013-08-21, Guv Bob wrote:
On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 14:12:28 -0700, "Guv Bob"

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/7434/wvm.gif

Thanks again! Would this work?

NTE955M Timer, (555 Type), 200 mA Iout, CMOS 8 DIP 1.20
http://www.alliedelec.com/search/pro...x?sku=70215850

Maybe like this:

in------+-------------+
| |
| . . . .|. . . .
| . VCC(8) .
| . .
+-----+-------RES(4) OUT(3)------ out
_|_ | . 555 .
D1 A [R1] +---TH(6) DIS(7)--
'T` | | . .
+-----+---+---TR(2) CV(5)--
C1 ===== . GND(1) .
| . . . .|. . . .
| |
----+-------------+---
ground

U1 LMC555 / 7555
D1 1N914
C1 10uF
R1 470K

---
Yup! :-)

--
JF
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 19:08:34 -0700, "Guv Bob"
wrote:

I used to know all that stuff by heart, but I've been swapping modules too long. This not the usual rush job, so it's a nice change to be able to spend some time on it. Now I'm off to re-learn all the RC stuff.

---
Just for grins, the device you've described is an "OFF delay" timer.

--
JF

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

I used to know all that stuff by heart, but I've been swapping modules too long. This not the usual rush job, so it's a nice change to be able to spend some time on it. Now I'm off to re-learn all the RC stuff.

---
Just for grins, the device you've described is an "OFF delay" timer.

--
JF

That was my 2nd guess. LOL!

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

I used to know all that stuff by heart, but I've been swapping modules too long. This not the usual rush job, so it's a nice change to be able to spend some time on it. Now I'm off to re-learn all the RC stuff.

---
Just for grins, the device you've described is an "OFF delay" timer.

In industrial relay timer parlance, we'd call that an "interval
timer". An "off delay" timer would drop out a period of time after the
power was removed (a more rare beast since it would have two power
supplies or a big capacitor inside). An interval timer is/was just an
on delay timer with logic inversion before the relay driver, so it
pulled in immediately upon connection to the power source and drops
out after the delay.

The terms are used differently in different domains so I wouldn't
count on them being valid in any particular instance. For example,
some cretinous poltroons will refer to a recycle timer as an "interval
timer".

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 8/20/2013 2:12 PM, Guv Bob wrote:
Names can be confusing, so here's what I'm doing....

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/7434/wvm.gif

When 12VDC is applied to the input, I need a 12VDC output for 5 seconds. Then output will go back off and stay off until the input goes to zero. Then cycle starts again.

Current for both legs is in the 10-50ma range.

A simple on-delay timer would work but I'm having trouble finding one with NC contacts. Tons of stuff $100+, but for this application, it has to be under $20.

These used to be called "Delay Relays" and looked like a vacuum tube.
Now there are solid state models. See
http://www.ia.omron.com/data_pdf/data_sheet/h3y_dsheet_csm92.pdf.

You can find these on eBay, i.e.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/H3Y2-DC-12V-5A-Delay-Timer-Time-Relay-5S-05-Seconds-w-H3Y2-Base-/330673623762

You should be able to figure out a way to get what you need though you
may need another regular relay as a latch.

Well under $20.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

"Guv Bob" wrote in message m...
Names can be confusing, so here's what I'm doing....

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/7434/wvm.gif

When 12VDC is applied to the input, I need a 12VDC output for 5 seconds. Then output will go back off and stay off until the input goes to zero. Then cycle starts again.

Current for both legs is in the 10-50ma range.

A simple on-delay timer would work but I'm having trouble finding one with NC contacts. Tons of stuff $100+, but for this application, it has to be under $20.

===

Thanks for all the tips and good info. I had wanted to put something together from components but my brain is too far behind these days. I'm going to give this a shot and hopefully I'm not picking the wrong one. It's $5 at Frys...

Velleman MK111
http://www.vellemanusa.com/downloads...nual_mk111.pdf

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

On a sunny day (Sun, 25 Aug 2013 23:29:54 -0700) it happened "Guv Bob"
wrote in
:

"Guv Bob" wrote in message =
om...
Names can be confusing, so here's what I'm doing....

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/7434/wvm.gif

When 12VDC is applied to the input, I need a 12VDC output for 5 seconds. =
Then output will go back off and stay off until the input goes to zero. =
Then cycle starts again.

The reason I did not reply with a ciruit or whatever is
that your logic is false.

You say: 'until', that means the output goes active again.
Then you say : 'cycle starts again',
but that cycle is not the same now (starts active).

First, for yourself, work out the correct logic.
Then you already have the solution,
probably from stuff you have laying about.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 25 Aug 2013 23:29:54 -0700, "Guv Bob"
wrote:

"Guv Bob" wrote in message m...
Names can be confusing, so here's what I'm doing....

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/7434/wvm.gif

When 12VDC is applied to the input, I need a 12VDC output for 5 seconds. Then output will go back off and stay off until the input goes to zero. Then cycle starts again.

Current for both legs is in the 10-50ma range.

A simple on-delay timer would work but I'm having trouble finding one with NC contacts. Tons of stuff $100+, but for this application, it has to be under $20.

===

Thanks for all the tips and good info. I had wanted to put something together from components but my brain is too far behind these days. I'm going to give this a shot and hopefully I'm not picking the wrong one. It's $5 at Frys...

Velleman MK111
http://www.vellemanusa.com/downloads...nual_mk111.pdf

It can be modified to do what you say you want.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

"Guv Bob" wrote in message m...
[...]

Hmmmm....... in that case, forget the electronics! ;O)

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

"Guv Bob" wrote in message m...
[...]

If I disconnect pin 7, would that make it a one-shot pulse?

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

On a sunny day (Thu, 29 Aug 2013 10:18:17 -0700) it happened "Guv Bob"
wrote in
:

When 12VDC is applied to the input, I need a 12VDC output for 5 =

seconds.

+12

-----------------------------------------------------|
| | | |
=== C1 |-------------- ///
-------------| | IRLZ34
| 4M7 | |--- s T1
[ ] R --- |
| / \ D1 ///
/// ---
| 1N4148
///

When power is off C1 is discharged.
When power comes on the gate of MOSFET T1 is posive via C1,
and C1 slowly charges via R1,
R.C time, select a suitable capacitor and resistor.
The gate voltage slowly drops, and then T1 stops conducting.
When power goes off, then C1 is discharged again via D1.

D2 and C2 are needed to prevent transients on the drain (load line) of T1 piercing the gate electrode isolation layer.

IRLZ34 is a logic level (2 to 3 V gate on IIRC) MOSFET.

Alternative solution:
12 V light bulb - wakes up cat - cat drinks from cup - cup get lighter - balance turns - ball rolls, hits bell - you wake up, and swtich of the power.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

"Guv Bob" wrote in message m...
[...]

Try leaving out R2 & RV1* and D2*, and jumper the free end of R1
(R1-D2 junction) to pin 8.

If you can't quite get 5s with RV2 cranked up all the way, increase R1
to 10K or 20K.

*optionally; if they're already in there, don't bother taking them
out.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

=== C1 |-------------- ///
-------------| | IRLZ34
| 4M7 | |--- s T1
[ ] R --- |
| / \ D1 ///
/// ---
| 1N4148
///

What discharges that 1000uF (and the 1uF) when the transistor isn't
turned on? Or are you assuming push-pull drive on the 12V?

When power is off C1 is discharged.
When power comes on the gate of MOSFET T1 is posive via C1,
and C1 slowly charges via R1,
R.C time, select a suitable capacitor and resistor.
The gate voltage slowly drops, and then T1 stops conducting.
When power goes off, then C1 is discharged again via D1.

D2 and C2 are needed to prevent transients on the drain (load line) of T1 piercing the gate electrode isolation layer.

Maybe replace C2 with a resistor and put 1K/12V zener before the cap.

IRLZ34 is a logic level (2 to 3 V gate on IIRC) MOSFET.

Alternative solution:
12 V light bulb - wakes up cat - cat drinks from cup - cup get lighter - balance turns - ball rolls, hits bell - you wake up, and swtich of the power.

12v heater boils off water so weight on microswitch is reduced. When
power is removed relay N.C. contact allows solenoid valve/flow switch
to refill water container. Oh, and wire in a beeper to bother the cat.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

On a sunny day (Thu, 29 Aug 2013 14:26:57 -0400) it happened Spehro Pefhany
wrote in
:

wrote:

On a sunny day (Thu, 29 Aug 2013 10:18:17 -0700) it happened "Guv Bob"
wrote in
:

When 12VDC is applied to the input, I need a 12VDC output for 5 =
seconds.

+12

-----------------------------------------------------|
| | | | |
=== C1 |-------------- ///
-------------| | IRLZ34
| 4M7 | |--- s T1
[ ] R --- |
| / \ D1 ///
/// ---
| 1N4148
///

What discharges that 1000uF (and the 1uF) when the transistor isn't
turned on? Or are you assuming push-pull drive on the 12V?

I am assuming other loads on the 12 V supply.
If it makes you happy, add a signal light bulb.
:-)

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

On 8/20/2013 3:12 PM, Guv Bob wrote:
Names can be confusing, so here's what I'm doing....

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/7434/wvm.gif

When 12VDC is applied to the input, I need a 12VDC output for 5 seconds. Then output will go back off and stay off until the input goes to zero. Then cycle starts again.

Current for both legs is in the 10-50ma range.

A simple on-delay timer would work but I'm having trouble finding one with NC contacts. Tons of stuff $100+, but for this application, it has to be under $20.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-DC-12V-D...51330081051%26

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 31 Aug 2013 12:28:26 -0600, hamilton
wrote:

On 8/20/2013 3:12 PM, Guv Bob wrote:
Names can be confusing, so here's what I'm doing....

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/7434/wvm.gif

When 12VDC is applied to the input, I need a 12VDC output for 5 seconds. Then output will go back off and stay off until the input goes to zero. Then cycle starts again.

Current for both legs is in the 10-50ma range.

A simple on-delay timer would work but I'm having trouble finding one with NC contacts. Tons of stuff $100+, but for this application, it has to be under $20.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-DC-12V-D...51330081051%26

---
I couldn't find the spec's for the switch; do you have a link?

--
JF
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

On 8/20/2013 3:12 PM, Guv Bob wrote:
Names can be confusing, so here's what I'm doing....

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/7434/wvm.gif

When 12VDC is applied to the input, I need a 12VDC output for 5 seconds. Then output will go back off and stay off until the input goes to zero. Then cycle starts again.

Current for both legs is in the 10-50ma range.

A simple on-delay timer would work but I'm having trouble finding one with NC contacts. Tons of stuff $100+, but for this application, it has to be under $20.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-DC-12V-D...51330081051%26

---
I couldn't find the spec's for the switch; do you have a link?

No, I found this on ebay looking for something else.

But Google found the spec for the relay:
http://www.mycomkits.com/reference/S...3%29_Relay.pdf

(unless you ment relay)

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

"hamilton" wrote in message ...
On 8/20/2013 3:12 PM, Guv Bob wrote:
Names can be confusing, so here's what I'm doing....

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/7434/wvm.gif

When 12VDC is applied to the input, I need a 12VDC output for 5 seconds. Then output will go back off and stay off until the input goes to zero. Then cycle starts again.

Current for both legs is in the 10-50ma range.

A simple on-delay timer would work but I'm having trouble finding one with NC contacts. Tons of stuff $100+, but for this application, it has to be under $20.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-DC-12V-D...51330081051%26

Thanks hamilton. There are a bunch of these from various mfr on ebay but all come from China -- 3-4 weeks.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

"Guv Bob" wrote in message m...
[...]

Welp.... as I was connecting the last component, my super strength kicked in and I broke diode D1. Even so, I connected it to 12V. The LED came on and stayed on all the time, regardless of how either VR is set. NO stays open and never switches.

So I figured what the heck.... I pulled out D2 and installed it for D1, then jumpered that loose end of R1 to pin 8. Same result, only now the LED doesn't energize.

http://www.vellemanusa.com/downloads...nual_mk111.pdf

Rather than keep monkeying around with this one, I'll get another one at $5 and be more careful this time.... and have a handful of spare parts.

Stay tuned....

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

On 9/3/2013 1:30 PM, Guv Bob wrote:
"hamilton" wrote in message ...
On 8/20/2013 3:12 PM, Guv Bob wrote:
Names can be confusing, so here's what I'm doing....

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/7434/wvm.gif

When 12VDC is applied to the input, I need a 12VDC output for 5 seconds. Then output will go back off and stay off until the input goes to zero. Then cycle starts again.

Current for both legs is in the 10-50ma range.

A simple on-delay timer would work but I'm having trouble finding one with NC contacts. Tons of stuff $100+, but for this application, it has to be under $20.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-DC-12V-D...51330081051%26

Thanks hamilton. There are a bunch of these from various mfr on ebay but all come from China --
3-4 weeks.

Yes, I have to think twice, do I save 1/2 the cost or do I need it now.

hamilton

PS: This is what I was looking for, when I found the Delay-Timer-Module:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IOS-Android-...90587779059%26

This I'll wait 2-3 weeks for.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

Will this work?

Size R & C so that when switch closes, relay energizes after 5 seconds, and remains energized until switch is opened.

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/4650/uh3.gif

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

On a sunny day (Tue, 3 Sep 2013 16:01:31 -0700) it happened "Guv Bob"
wrote in
:

Will this work?

Size R & C so that when switch closes, relay energizes after 5 =
seconds, and remains energized until switch is opened.

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/4650/uh3.gif

Yes, but 5 seconds needs a big C.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

On 09/04/2013 01:17 AM, Jan Panteltje wrote:
On a sunny day (Tue, 3 Sep 2013 16:01:31 -0700) it happened "Guv Bob"
wrote in
:

Will this work?

Size R & C so that when switch closes, relay energizes after 5 =
seconds, and remains energized until switch is opened.

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/4650/uh3.gif

Yes, but 5 seconds needs a big C.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...=0&_fr om=R40
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

"dave" wrote in message m...
On 09/04/2013 01:17 AM, Jan Panteltje wrote:
On a sunny day (Tue, 3 Sep 2013 16:01:31 -0700) it happened "Guv Bob"
wrote in
:

Will this work?

Size R & C so that when switch closes, relay energizes after 5 =
seconds, and remains energized until switch is opened.

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/4650/uh3.gif

Yes, but 5 seconds needs a big C.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...=0&_fr om=R40

Thanks Dave. That's exactly what I have been looking for. Problem is I can only find these or similar units in the $5-20 range from China (2-3 weeks). Omron and others available in US are $70+

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 4 Sep 2013 11:21:01 -0700, "Guv Bob"
wrote:

"dave" wrote in message m...
On 09/04/2013 01:17 AM, Jan Panteltje wrote:
On a sunny day (Tue, 3 Sep 2013 16:01:31 -0700) it happened "Guv Bob"
wrote in
:

Will this work?

Size R & C so that when switch closes, relay energizes after 5 =
seconds, and remains energized until switch is opened.

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/4650/uh3.gif

Yes, but 5 seconds needs a big C.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...=0&_fr om=R40

Thanks Dave. That's exactly what I have been looking for. Problem is I can only find these or similar units in the $5-20 range from China (2-3 weeks). Omron and others available in US are $70+

---
Why can't you use Jasen Betts' circuit?

--
JF
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

"dave" wrote in message m...
On 09/04/2013 01:17 AM, Jan Panteltje wrote:
On a sunny day (Tue, 3 Sep 2013 16:01:31 -0700) it happened "Guv Bob"
wrote in
:

Will this work?

Size R & C so that when switch closes, relay energizes after 5 =
seconds, and remains energized until switch is opened.

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/4650/uh3.gif

Yes, but 5 seconds needs a big C.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...=0&_fr om=R40

Thanks Dave. That's exactly what I have been looking for. Problem is I can only find these or similar units in the $5-20 range from China (2-3 weeks). Omron and others available in US are $70+

---
Why can't you use Jasen Betts' circuit?

--
JF

What circuit is that? I don't see it.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

"dave" wrote in message m...
On 09/04/2013 01:17 AM, Jan Panteltje wrote:
On a sunny day (Tue, 3 Sep 2013 16:01:31 -0700) it happened "Guv Bob"
wrote in
:

Will this work?

Size R & C so that when switch closes, relay energizes after 5 =
seconds, and remains energized until switch is opened.

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/4650/uh3.gif

Yes, but 5 seconds needs a big C.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...=0&_fr om=R40

Thanks Dave. That's exactly what I have been looking for. Problem is I can only find these or similar units in the $5-20 range from China (2-3 weeks). Omron and others available in US are $70+

---
Why can't you use Jasen Betts' circuit?

--
JF

What circuit is that? I don't see it.

It was an ascii-art sketch I posted when you asked about the 555 chip

you've got most of the parts you need in that Velleman kit

in------+-------------+
| |
| . . . .|. . . .
| . VCC(8) .
| . .
+-----+-------RES(4) OUT(3)------ out
_|_ | . 555 .
D1 A [R1] +---TH(6) DIS(7)--
'T` | | . .
+-----+---+---TR(2) CV(5)--
C1 ===== . GND(1) .
| . . . .|. . . .
| |
----+-------------+---
ground

U1 LMC555 / 7555 etc...
D1 1N914 / 1N4148
C1 10uF
R1 470K

--
š‚šƒ 100% natural

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

in------+-------------+ | |
| . . . .|. . . . | . VCC(8) .
| . . +-----+-------RES(4) OUT(3)------
out _|_ | . 555 . D1 A [R1]
+---TH(6) DIS(7)-- 'T` | | . .
+-----+---+---TR(2) CV(5)-- | . .
C1 ===== . GND(1) . | . . . .|. . . .
| | ----+-------------+---
ground
U1 LMC555 / 7555
D1 1N914
C1 10uF
R1 470K

--
JF
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

"dave" wrote in message m...
On 09/04/2013 01:17 AM, Jan Panteltje wrote:
On a sunny day (Tue, 3 Sep 2013 16:01:31 -0700) it happened "Guv Bob"
wrote in
:

Will this work?

Size R & C so that when switch closes, relay energizes after 5 =
seconds, and remains energized until switch is opened.

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/4650/uh3.gif

Yes, but 5 seconds needs a big C.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...=0&_fr om=R40

Thanks Dave. That's exactly what I have been looking for. Problem is I can only find these or similar units in the $5-20 range from China (2-3 weeks). Omron and others available in US are $70+

---
Why can't you use Jasen Betts' circuit?

--
JF

What circuit is that? I don't see it.

in------+-------------+ | |
| . . . .|. . . . | . VCC(8) .
| . . +-----+-------RES(4) OUT(3)------
out _|_ | . 555 . D1 A [R1]
+---TH(6) DIS(7)-- 'T` | | . .
+-----+---+---TR(2) CV(5)-- | . .
C1 ===== . GND(1) . | . . . ..|. . . .
| | ----+-------------+---
ground
U1 LMC555 / 7555
D1 1N914
C1 10uF
R1 470K

--
JF

Thanks, fellows. Sorry for my ignorance -- I tried viewing this in fixed pitch and still can't make out the connections. Any way to sketch it out and upload it somewhere or post it at one of the binary groups? These are active...
alt.binaries.schematics.electronics,alt.binaries.s chematics.electronic
Bob

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

What circuit is that? I don't see it.

in------+-------------+ | |
| . . . .|. . . . | . VCC(8) .
| . . +-----+-------RES(4) OUT(3)------
out _|_ | . 555 . D1 A [R1]
+---TH(6) DIS(7)-- 'T` | | . .
+-----+---+---TR(2) CV(5)-- | . .
C1 ===== . GND(1) . | . . . .|. . . .
| | ----+-------------+---
ground

Thanks, fellows. Sorry for my ignorance --
I tried viewing this in fixed pitch and still can't make out the connections.

John mangled it when he re-posted it.
the one I posted at about the same time should be readable

--
š‚šƒ 100% natural

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 6 Sep 2013 21:06:49 -0700, "Guv Bob"
wrote:

Thanks, fellows. Sorry for my ignorance -- I tried viewing this in fixed pitch and still can't make out the connections. Any way to sketch it out and upload it somewhere or post it at one of the binary groups? These are active...
alt.binaries.schematics.electronics,alt.binaries. schematics.electronic
Bob

---
Better yet, here's the LTspice circuit list:

Version 4
SHEET 1 880 680
WIRE -288 80 -432 80
WIRE -128 80 -288 80
WIRE 224 80 -128 80
WIRE -288 112 -288 80
WIRE 288 112 -96 112
WIRE -32 176 -160 176
WIRE 224 176 224 80
WIRE 224 176 192 176
WIRE 288 176 288 112
WIRE -288 240 -288 192
WIRE -64 240 -288 240
WIRE -32 240 -64 240
WIRE -432 256 -432 80
WIRE -400 256 -432 256
WIRE -288 256 -288 240
WIRE -288 256 -336 256
WIRE 288 288 288 256
WIRE -96 304 -96 112
WIRE -32 304 -96 304
WIRE 224 304 192 304
WIRE -432 320 -432 256
WIRE -288 336 -288 256
WIRE -128 368 -128 80
WIRE -32 368 -128 368
WIRE -64 432 -64 240
WIRE 224 432 224 304
WIRE 224 432 -64 432
WIRE -432 464 -432 400
WIRE -288 464 -288 400
WIRE -288 464 -432 464
WIRE -160 464 -160 176
WIRE -160 464 -288 464
WIRE 288 464 288 352
WIRE 288 464 -160 464
WIRE -432 528 -432 464
FLAG -432 528 0
SYMBOL Misc\\NE555 80 272 R0
SYMATTR InstName U1
SYMBOL voltage -432 304 R0
WINDOW 123 0 0 Left 2
WINDOW 39 0 0 Left 2
WINDOW 3 24 104 Invisible 2
SYMATTR Value PULSE(0 12 1 1e-6 1e-6 10)
SYMATTR InstName V2
SYMBOL res 272 160 R0
SYMATTR InstName R2
SYMATTR Value 270
SYMBOL cap -304 336 R0
SYMATTR InstName C2
SYMATTR Value 10µ
SYMBOL res -272 208 R180
WINDOW 0 -50 67 Left 2
WINDOW 3 -59 34 Left 2
SYMATTR InstName R3
SYMATTR Value 470k
SYMBOL LED 272 288 R0
SYMATTR InstName D1
SYMATTR Value NSCW100
SYMBOL diode -336 240 R90
WINDOW 0 -38 25 VBottom 2
WINDOW 3 -34 28 VTop 2
SYMATTR InstName D2
SYMATTR Value 1N4148
TEXT -408 496 Left 2 !.tran 15

If you don't already have it, you can get LTspice for free at:

http://www.linear.com/designtools/software/

Once you download the program, copy the circuit list and save it to a
file with a .asc extension, then left-click on the file.

LTspice should find the file, load it, and display the schematic.

If it doesn't, then launch LTspice, navigate to the saved file and
click on it.

Once the schematic is displayed you can edit it in any way you wish,
and if you want to run it right-click anywhere on the background of
the schematic and left-click on RUN when the menu pops up.

--
JF
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

John & Jasen, thanks for this and all the other great tips!!!

wrote:

[...]

Delay off timer required Graham C UK diy 0 December 13th 09 04:21 PM
Delay off timer required Dave Osborne[_2_] UK diy 3 December 10th 09 10:06 PM
Delay off timer required geoff UK diy 0 December 10th 09 09:27 PM
delay timer for bathroom fan? Nate Nagel Home Repair 7 February 12th 08 09:44 PM
Timer delay for extractor fan Geoff Norfolk UK diy 9 November 25th 05 09:25 PM