Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair
Spehro Pefhany Spehro Pefhany is offline

Default Looking for a Low Cost On Delay Timer

On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 06:24:12 -0500, John Fields
wrote:

On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 19:08:34 -0700, "Guv Bob"
wrote:

I used to know all that stuff by heart, but I've been swapping modules too long. This not the usual rush job, so it's a nice change to be able to spend some time on it. Now I'm off to re-learn all the RC stuff.

---
Just for grins, the device you've described is an "OFF delay" timer.

In industrial relay timer parlance, we'd call that an "interval
timer". An "off delay" timer would drop out a period of time after the
power was removed (a more rare beast since it would have two power
supplies or a big capacitor inside). An interval timer is/was just an
on delay timer with logic inversion before the relay driver, so it
pulled in immediately upon connection to the power source and drops
out after the delay.

The terms are used differently in different domains so I wouldn't
count on them being valid in any particular instance. For example,
some cretinous poltroons will refer to a recycle timer as an "interval
timer".

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany