Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default Looking for a Low Cost On Delay Timer

On 8/20/2013 2:12 PM, Guv Bob wrote:
Names can be confusing, so here's what I'm doing....

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/7434/wvm.gif

When 12VDC is applied to the input, I need a 12VDC output for 5 seconds. Then output will go back off and stay off until the input goes to zero. Then cycle starts again.

Current for both legs is in the 10-50ma range.

A simple on-delay timer would work but I'm having trouble finding one with NC contacts. Tons of stuff $100+, but for this application, it has to be under $20.

These used to be called "Delay Relays" and looked like a vacuum tube.
Now there are solid state models. See
http://www.ia.omron.com/data_pdf/data_sheet/h3y_dsheet_csm92.pdf.

You can find these on eBay, i.e.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/H3Y2-DC-12V-5A-Delay-Timer-Time-Relay-5S-05-Seconds-w-H3Y2-Base-/330673623762

You should be able to figure out a way to get what you need though you
may need another regular relay as a latch.

Well under $20.