Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair
Guv Bob Guv Bob is offline

Default Looking for a Low Cost On Delay Timer

"George Herold" wrote in message ...
On Wednesday, August 21, 2013 7:46:13 PM UTC-4, Guv Bob wrote:
John Fields" wrote in message ...

On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 10:30:46 -0700, "Guv Bob"

wrote:

"John Fields" wrote in message ...

On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 14:12:28 -0700, "Guv Bob"

wrote:

Names can be confusing, so here's what I'm doing....

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/7434/wvm.gif

When 12VDC is applied to the input, I need a 12VDC output for 5 seconds. Then output will go back off and stay off until the input goes to zero. Then cycle starts again.

Current for both legs is in the 10-50ma range.

A simple on-delay timer would work but I'm having trouble finding one with NC contacts. Tons of stuff $100+, but for this application, it has to be under $20.

---

For way under $20, this'll work, and if you need NC contacts, all

you'll have to do is put either a solid state relay or a mechanical

relay with a catch diode across the LED.

Thanks John, I'm not following you. Can you sketch the circuit?

---

Sure.

View with a fixed-pitch font like Courier New:

GND-\ - +12

O-----+----+---+---+------+-----+-------+ +--------NO

|K | | | | | [1N4148] [COIL]- - - -\

[1N4148][7M5][100K]| [10K] [LED] | |

| |Rt | | | |K | |

| | | | | |

+-----+----|--|-\ | C

| | | -+----B 2N3904

|Ct +--|+/U1 E Q1

[1µF] | | |

| [100K]| |

| | | |

GND--------+----+---+----------+

U1 is any comparator with an input resistance which won't swamp Rt,

and an open-collector output (or an output with a weak pullup to Vcc)

which can sink a few mA without letting Q1 go out of saturation.

So, what's your application?

--

JF

Thanks again! Would this work?

NTE955M Timer, (555 Type), 200 mA Iout, CMOS 8 DIP 1.20

http://www.alliedelec.com/search/pro...x?sku=70215850

I was going to say this sounded like a perfect fit for a 555 timer.
(So what's the best RC combo to get 5 seconds from a 555?)

George H.

I used to know all that stuff by heart, but I've been swapping modules too long. This not the usual rush job, so it's a nice change to be able to spend some time on it. Now I'm off to re-learn all the RC stuff.