Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

Default Nuisance fastners - winge

I had occasion to dismantle a cheap pedestal fan the other day (Coles
Home Collection). It hadn't failed, but I wanted to see how it was wired
up (that's another story).

The cover to the button panel was held in place by four screws which
were identical except that two were philips head type, and the other two
had a triangular socket in the head.

I have bits to cope with most things I've encountered, but not those.
What's the point? Are they worried about competition for repairing these
$10 fans?

Do consumers regularly electrocute themselves by taking fans apart
without knowing what they're doing?

Sylvia.

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 09 Feb 2011 22:29:35 +1100, Sylvia Else
wrote:

I had occasion to dismantle a cheap pedestal fan the other day (Coles
Home Collection). It hadn't failed, but I wanted to see how it was wired
up (that's another story).

The cover to the button panel was held in place by four screws which
were identical except that two were philips head type, and the other two
had a triangular socket in the head.

I have bits to cope with most things I've encountered, but not those.
What's the point? Are they worried about competition for repairing these
$10 fans?

Do consumers regularly electrocute themselves by taking fans apart
without knowing what they're doing?

Sylvia.

I just used a small flat blade screwdriver to remove them. Got to be
the right size though to jam along one flat of the triangle.

--
Sell your surplus electronic components at
http://ozcomponents.com
Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

I had occasion to dismantle a cheap pedestal fan the other day (Coles
Home Collection). It hadn't failed, but I wanted to see how it was wired
up (that's another story).

The cover to the button panel was held in place by four screws which
were identical except that two were philips head type, and the other two
had a triangular socket in the head.

I have bits to cope with most things I've encountered, but not those.
What's the point? Are they worried about competition for repairing these
$10 fans?

Do consumers regularly electrocute themselves by taking fans apart
without knowing what they're doing?

Sylvia.

I just used a small flat blade screwdriver to remove them. Got to be
the right size though to jam along one flat of the triangle.

Well, I got one of them undone using a tri-wing bit, but stripped the
other attempting to do the same thing. However, I managed to see what I
wanted to see.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e9/Screw_Head_-_Tri-wing.svg/40px-Screw_Head_-_Tri-wing.svg.png

Sylvia.

--
Sell your surplus electronic components at
http://ozcomponents.com
Search or browse for that IC, capacitor,
crystal or other component you need.
Or find new components at http://auscomponents.com

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

Which was ?
Is there a point to this thread apart from the type of screw you couldn't screw ?

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

*wrote:

[...]

And how was it wired up ?

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

On 2/9/2011 5:29 AM, Sylvia Else wrote:
Do consumers regularly electrocute themselves by taking fans apart
without knowing what they're doing?

I'm reminded of an old Rodriguez cartoon in Popular Electronics.

First panel: On a large speaker cabinet. "to prevent shock do not
remove cover"

Second panel: Owner taking out a LOT of screws.

Third panel: Owner on floor clutching chest. Inside of huge cabinet
has 2" transistor radio speaker inside.

Jeff

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

atec77 wrote:

On 10/02/2011 2:05 AM, fritz wrote:

Which was ?
Is there a point to this thread apart from the type of screw you couldn't screw ?

The point is stupid is as stupid does (syliva)
the screws are the manufactures way of saying no user serviceable
parts do not open

It is their lawyer's way of attempting to avoid lawsuits.

Teflon coated.
Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

"Sylvia Else" wrote in message
I had occasion to dismantle a cheap pedestal fan the other day (Coles Home
Collection). It hadn't failed, but I wanted to see how it was wired up
(that's another story).

The cover to the button panel was held in place by four screws which were
identical except that two were philips head type, and the other two had a
triangular socket in the head.

I have bits to cope with most things I've encountered, but not those.
What's the point? Are they worried about competition for repairing these
$10 fans?

Do consumers regularly electrocute themselves by taking fans apart without
knowing what they're doing?

Sylvia.

They are only a tamperproof head of which there are various and easily
available.. Wait until you come across a coffin head screw.I believe the
reason for using them is that some countries prevent the dismantle of an
appliance without the use of a tool or special tool so this way all fields
are covered in one assembly. Did you find out how it worked. They are made
to break. Best way to keep them longer is to keep the Blades clean and
lubricate the bearings NOT with WD40 or the like.

Metro

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

In a particular way.

Sylvia.

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

On 10/02/2011 11:23 AM, Metro wrote:
"Sylvia wrote in message
[...]

As I said, it hadn't broken. I was actually trying to figure out which
wire was which leading to the induction motor. I had in mind making it
run backwards. Aerofoils don't perform as well backwards, but they do
perform. However, on further consideration I realised that the fan
blades would be aerodynamically stalled if the fan ran backwards, with
the result that it would probably not work much at all.

Sylvia.

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

On 10/02/2011 3:05 AM, fritz wrote:

Which was ?
Is there a point to this thread apart from the type of screw you couldn't screw ?

Not really. The word "winge" in the subject line should have hinted at that.

Sylvia.

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

"Sylvia wrote in message
[...]

If the fan is symetrical - snap off pairs of opposing blades.

Doesn't matter if there's only 6 to start with - some helicopters have
"scissor" tail rotors.

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

ian field wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" ? wrote in message
m...
?
? atec77 wrote:
??
?? On 10/02/2011 2:05 AM, fritz wrote:
?? ?
?? ?
?? ? Which was ?
?? ? Is there a point to this thread apart from the type of screw you
?? ? couldn't screw ?
?? ?
?? The point is stupid is as stupid does (syliva)
?? the screws are the manufactures way of saying no user serviceable
?? parts do not open
?
?
? It is their lawyer's way of attempting to avoid lawsuits.

Did it work?

Did you sue them?

Teflon coated.
Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

"Sylvia wrote in message
[...]

That's not going to fix the problem of the blades being stalled.

What I would really need to do is fit the one-piece fan blade assembly
on back to front (as well as reversing the motor), but the fan blade
assembly is not designed to be attached the other way around.

Sylvia.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sylvia Else wrote:

What I would really need to do is fit the one-piece fan blade assembly
on back to front (as well as reversing the motor), but the fan blade
assembly is not designed to be attached the other way around.

If it is a shaded-pole induction motor, it will not be possible to run
it in reveres unless you dismantle the whole assembly and put the stator
in the other way around. It would be more effective to get a spare fan
boss and make new blades for it.

(I have made a shaded-pole gramophone motor run backwards, but I had to
completely rebuild it and add extra windings to make it work.)

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk
Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

"Sylvia * wrote in message
[...]

Might sound silly, but cant the entire fan head (including motor) be
rotated 180 degrees, or do you want the
air intake without the motor in the way ?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 11/02/2011 11:37 PM, Adrian Tuddenham wrote:
Sylvia wrote:

What I would really need to do is fit the one-piece fan blade assembly
on back to front (as well as reversing the motor), but the fan blade
assembly is not designed to be attached the other way around.

If it is a shaded-pole induction motor, it will not be possible to run
it in reveres unless you dismantle the whole assembly and put the stator
in the other way around. It would be more effective to get a spare fan
boss and make new blades for it.

It's not shaded pole. It has two sets of windings perpendicular to each
other, and a capacitor which I believe is in series with one set of
windings.

Sylvia.

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

"Sylvia wrote in message
[...]

The application is to suck cool air in through an open window at night.
During the recent heat wave, it was noticeable that even though the
temperature outside drops at night, the temperature of the house doesn't
drop that much. The problem is lack of air flow.

A conventional pedestal fan blows in such a direction that when it's
placed as near as possible to a window, the fan blades are still quite a
way from the cool air, and so the result is not as effective as it might
be. If I could reverse the direction of flow, then I could also turn
then fan around, so that the blades would be much closer to the window.

I considered simply building a duct, but the cost of materials was
excessive.

I'm thinking of using box fans instead.

Sylvia.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sylvia wrote:

What I would really need to do is fit the one-piece fan blade assembly
on back to front (as well as reversing the motor), but the fan blade
assembly is not designed to be attached the other way around.

If it is a shaded-pole induction motor, it will not be possible to run
it in reveres unless you dismantle the whole assembly and put the stator
in the other way around. It would be more effective to get a spare fan
boss and make new blades for it.

It's not shaded pole. It has two sets of windings perpendicular to each
other, and a capacitor which I believe is in series with one set of
windings.

In that case it ought to be reversible - but I would still consider
making a replacement fan if you want a reasonably efficient reversed
airflow..

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

"Sylvia wrote in message
[...]

If is is only for a short time, get a cheap ceiling fan and bung it in a
bit of thin mdf and have it suck in instead of out.Or whichever way you
fancy.
Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

"Sylvia * * wrote in message
[...]

We had the same problem, I put a Woolies pedestal fan right in front
of the window on the inside, and used it that way. It works well, but
I agree that
if you could mount it in the open window directly it would work a lot
better. Currently
it sits about 25cm inside of the window opening due to the stand.

The box fan would probably be a better idea. Could put a shelf or
something under
the window, and sit it on there.

Another (depending on the amount of air these things move, their
appearance,
and the fact that the shaded pole motor and blade is exposed on the
back)
could be use bathroom type exhaust fan(s) mounted through a piece of
plywood
that sits in the open section of the window. ?

If the window has a good height,
you might be able to try one at the top blowing out the hot air and
one at the bottom blowing in cool ?

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

"Sylvia wrote in message
[...]

While on the subject of ceiling fans, void those Arlec ones at
Bunnings, they are flat out getting up any
sort of airflow, and the motor is very lightweight. They are also the
first fan I have
ever seen that includes a "blade balancing kit" which includes a few
flat pieces of steel
and double sided tape for mounting them.

Their highest speed setting is about the same as a lowest speed
settings on your standard "airflow" ceiling fan that electricians
usually
install.

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

kreed wrote:

"Sylvia wrote in message
[...]

I may have mislead people I meant ceiling exhaust fan
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 00:18:39 +1100, Sylvia Else
wrote:

The application is to suck cool air in through an open window at night.
During the recent heat wave, it was noticeable that even though the
temperature outside drops at night, the temperature of the house doesn't
drop that much. The problem is lack of air flow.

A conventional pedestal fan blows in such a direction that when it's
placed as near as possible to a window, the fan blades are still quite a
way from the cool air, and so the result is not as effective as it might
be. If I could reverse the direction of flow, then I could also turn
then fan around, so that the blades would be much closer to the window.

I considered simply building a duct, but the cost of materials was
excessive.

If we are talking temporary would some the use of some thickish
polythene sheet and gaffa tape be out of the question (to 'join' the
fan to the window opening)?

We have a split unit aircon unit in the (unoccupied) middle bedroom
but with all the bedroom doors open and the landing separated from the
rest of the house via a temporary 'curtain of polythene sheet tacked
to a baton and attached to the ceiling (by just 2 screws) works very
well at cooling all the bedrooms.

And no one here GsAF what it looked like, just that it worked ...
hmmm, 18 Deg C

Well, for the 2 weeks we call 'summer' here in the UK anyway. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

"Sylvia wrote in message
[...]

Perhaps, though one would have to be concerned that one just ended up
creating a flow from the bottom to the top with little penetration into
the room. Something to experiment with, I suppose.

My thinking is to take two box fans, remove their feet, and attach them
to a wooden frame that can be slotted into the groves normally used by
the horizontally sliding window. It would make something that could be
quickly attached as needed, and equally easily removed when not. Any
spare window space would be blocked off, so that air pumped in would
push other air out of the house wherever it could escape.

BTW, I've been using a box fan to force ventilate an underhouse store
room where he had something of a drain overflow. After running
continously for a month, its bearings are stuffed. Me thinks they're not
designed for that level of use.

Sylvia.
Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

"Sylvia wrote in message
[...]

Dont know why I bother ,I new I was invisible.

that sits in the open section of the window. ?

If the window has a good height,
you might be able to try one at the top blowing out the hot air and
one at the bottom blowing in cool ?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sylvia Else wrote:

{...]
A conventional pedestal fan blows in such a direction that when it's
placed as near as possible to a window, the fan blades are still quite a
way from the cool air, and so the result is not as effective as it might
be. If I could reverse the direction of flow, then I could also turn
then fan around, so that the blades would be much closer to the window.

I considered simply building a duct, but the cost of materials was
excessive.

Cardboard box?

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk
Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

"Sylvia wrote in message
[...]

Stick the fan outside, blow the air inside. Lateral thinking is absent
in the female of the species.

I considered simply building a duct, but the cost of materials was excessive.

Rubbish - use paper and glue - you obviously have plenty of time
on your hands......
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papier-m%C3%A2ch%C3%A9

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

FWIW..
A motor with 2 identical windings in series, is a PSC permanent split
capacitor motor.

Electrically, in a PSC motor the windings are the same as a center-tapped
transformer, having 3 leads.

PSC motors can be run in either direction, and that's one of their unique
features, a single-phase AC motor that can be instantly reversed (which
single-phase AC motors generally can't do, without allowing them to stop
before reversing).

--
Cheers,
WB

"Sylvia Else" wrote in message

It's not shaded pole. It has two sets of windings perpendicular to each
other, and a capacitor which I believe is in series with one set of
windings.

Sylvia.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2/11/2011 3:57 PM, Wild_Bill wrote:
Electrically, in a PSC motor the windings are the same as a
center-tapped transformer, having 3 leads.

Does that mean it's two-phase?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

;-)

Jeff

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

"Sylvia wrote in message
[...]

Do you have data for the structural properties? Also, a mathematical
model of the pressure differential across an insect-screen?

Sylvia.
Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

"Sylvia wrote in message

I'm thinking of using box fans instead.

Sylvia.

Don't you have window fans where you live?

http://www.target.com/Lasko-Electric.../dp/B001VEFUPO

You can get them here (USA) for $20
JC
Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

http://www.target.com/Lasko-Electric...ndow/dp/B001VE...

You can get them here (USA) for $20
JC

Never seen them, but they would be perfect for what Sylvia wants to
achieve I think.
They are on Ebay, but all from the USA.

Note that most modern Australian windows slide horizontally - as long
as this works sideways and will
fit the opening, should be fine.
Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

"Sylvia wrote in message

I'm thinking of using box fans instead.

Sylvia.

Don't you have window fans where you live?

http://www.target.com/Lasko-Electric...ndow/dp/B001VE...

You can get them here (USA) for $20
JC

Never seen them, but they would be perfect for what Sylvia wants to
achieve I think.
They are on Ebay, but all from the USA.

I found Lasko's web site. None of the instruction sheets (which I
thought might specify the power) seem to exist. So I emailed the
webadmin whose address was given on the web site. That email address
appears not to exist either (it bounced).

I hope they're better at making fans than they are at maintaining web sites.

Sylvia.

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

"Sylvia *wrote in message

I'm thinking of using box fans instead.

Sylvia.

Don't you have window fans where you live?

http://www.target.com/Lasko-Electric...ndow/dp/B001VE....

You can get them here (USA) for $20
JC

Never seen them, but they would be perfect for what Sylvia wants to
achieve I think.
They are on Ebay, but all from the USA.

I found Lasko's web site. None of the instruction sheets (which I
thought might specify the power) seem to exist. So I emailed the
webadmin whose address was given on the web site. That email address
appears not to exist either (it bounced).

I hope they're better at making fans than they are at maintaining web sites.

Sylvia.

These fans are also available on Ebay - search "window fan" and
"outside australia" and
there are several identical models. The sellers might be able to
help ?
Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

"Sylvia wrote in message

[...]

I presume I'd need to buy a step down transformer, and then there's the
issue of the different frequency.

Sylvia.
Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

On 2011-02-11, Sylvia Else wrote:

A conventional pedestal fan blows in such a direction that when it's
placed as near as possible to a window, the fan blades are still quite a
way from the cool air, and so the result is not as effective as it might
be. If I could reverse the direction of flow, then I could also turn
then fan around, so that the blades would be much closer to the window.

I considered simply building a duct, but the cost of materials was
excessive.

I guess you didn't consider cardboard and packing tape then
or a cheap plastic bucket?

--
š‚šƒ 100% natural

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

On 2011-02-11, Sylvia wrote:

A conventional pedestal fan blows in such a direction that when it's
placed as near as possible to a window, the fan blades are still quite a
way from the cool air, and so the result is not as effective as it might
be. If I could reverse the direction of flow, then I could also turn
then fan around, so that the blades would be much closer to the window.

I considered simply building a duct, but the cost of materials was
excessive.

I guess you didn't consider cardboard and packing tape then
or a cheap plastic bucket?

The fan is too big for a plastic bucket. I considered cardboard but it
was far from clear to me that it was going to be strong enough without
bracing that would further complicate the task.

This isn't a research project. I was looking for a solution that would
definitely work, and be robust.

Sylvia.

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

On 2011-02-11, Sylvia wrote:

A conventional pedestal fan blows in such a direction that when it's
placed as near as possible to a window, the fan blades are still quite a
way from the cool air, and so the result is not as effective as it might
be. If I could reverse the direction of flow, then I could also turn
then fan around, so that the blades would be much closer to the window.

I considered simply building a duct, but the cost of materials was
excessive.

I guess you didn't consider cardboard and packing tape then
or a cheap plastic bucket?

I can think of another use for a bucket in sylivas case

Yes, I can use it to throw-up into whenever I imagine your face.

Sylvia.

Nuisance youths John UK diy 78 July 17th 09 08:50 PM
RCD nuisance trip Andy Burns UK diy 14 January 6th 07 08:30 PM
nails & fastners needed for PT lumber USENET NEWSREADER Home Repair 16 August 11th 05 12:21 PM
Help with Fastners Bob D. Woodworking 9 May 30th 05 07:34 PM
dealing with a nuisance dog Metalworking 16 January 4th 05 03:14 PM