USENET NEWSREADER

Default nails & fastners needed for PT lumber

howdy

I am bonna build a shed in my backyard and I need to know if anyone
knows of some sources (other than the net) for stainless steel nails and
screws for working with the newer types of pressure-treated lumber out
there.

I hear with the copper content being so high, they rot out regular steel
and even the lighter-weight galvanized hangers, nails and screws.

SO far I can only find screws and nails on line and I would prefer to
buy them locally. I live in Raleigh, NC, os if anyone knows any
suppliers located within a 2-hour drive, I would appreciate it.

Please respond via the group - thanks in advance
badgolferman

USENET NEWSREADER, 8/6/2005, 10:22:32 PM, wrote:

howdy

I am bonna build a shed in my backyard and I need to know if anyone
knows of some sources (other than the net) for stainless steel nails
and screws for working with the newer types of pressure-treated
lumber out there.

I hear with the copper content being so high, they rot out regular
steel and even the lighter-weight galvanized hangers, nails and
screws.

SO far I can only find screws and nails on line and I would prefer to
buy them locally. I live in Raleigh, NC, os if anyone knows any
suppliers located within a 2-hour drive, I would appreciate it.

Please respond via the group - thanks in advance

The lumberyard where I bought the ACQ treated lumber had gobs of
approved fasteners. Call them up before you buy on the Internet.
Shipping will be horrendous. You should be able to find what you want
at Home Depot and Lowe's also. Stainless Steel and Double Hot Dipped
Galvanized are what I know to work. Regular Hot Dipped Galvanized may
work for quite a long time also, but for a shed you may want the good
stuff.

--
"I miss. I miss. I miss. I make."
Seve Ballesteros describing his four-putt at Augusta's No. 16 in 1988.
Bob S.

USENET NEWSREADER wrote:
howdy

I am bonna build a shed in my backyard and I need to know if anyone
knows of some sources (other than the net) for stainless steel nails and
screws for working with the newer types of pressure-treated lumber out
there.

I hear with the copper content being so high, they rot out regular steel
and even the lighter-weight galvanized hangers, nails and screws.

SO far I can only find screws and nails on line and I would prefer to
buy them locally. I live in Raleigh, NC, os if anyone knows any
suppliers located within a 2-hour drive, I would appreciate it.

Please respond via the group - thanks in advance

Most all hardware stores and building supply stores carry stainless
steel screws. I've never seen stainless nails but they're probably out
there. Word is that you can also use hot dipped galvanized hardware,
but not electro-galvanized. They even make brass coated screws that are
supposed to be compatable with the copper content, but I found that
they break very easily.
Bob S.

Edwin Pawlowski

"USENET NEWSREADER" wrote in message

SO far I can only find screws and nails on line and I would prefer to buy
them locally. I live in Raleigh, NC, os if anyone knows any suppliers
located within a 2-hour drive, I would appreciate it.

A two hour drive is not very local, but heck, we all like to take a ride
sometimes. How far is Lynchburg VA from you? Maybe 3+ hours?

McFeelys is one of the best sources of both information on the lumber (
http://www.mcfeelys.com/acq.asp ) and fasteners needed for it.

Stiffler's Mom

On 07 Aug 2005 02:34:22 GMT, "badgolferman"
wrote:

[...]

This may not be 100% accurate, but about a year ago someone told me
galvanized nails are now pretty much not adequate to pass code at all
on new construction around here.

Lowes carries lots of stainless steel screws. Some of my local
hardware stores also have a god supply (actually avoid Home Depot and
just look in Lowes and if you have a boating place nearby check there
first). I can get small stainless steel nails lots of places. I use
them all the time (I don't used that galvanized crap anywhere, even
indoors). For the bigger nails to purchase locally you might have to
get aluminum ones instead.

kevin

Cripes! I used to live in Raleigh. There is a lowes and a home depot,
as well as a few local places not yet out of business. I can't name the
local places -- the two I frequented died before I moved out.

Any place, including lowes and home depot, that sells the new PT lumber
will also sell the fasteners. Look for double hot-dip galvanized. No,
scratch that. Just look for anything labelled for the new PT lumber
(ACQ, I beleive it is called). They will also have a wide variety of
tie-downs, plates, etc, all made just for PT lumber.

Edwin Pawlowski

"kevin" wrote in message

Any place, including lowes and home depot, that sells the new PT lumber
will also sell the fasteners.

And you can be assured they are the lowest quality available.

John Gilmer

Most all hardware stores and building supply stores carry stainless
steel screws.

MAYBE they carry a small selection of screws and these are just for the
boating crowd. There just isn't a wide selection of SS fasteners at BIG
BOX or "local" hardware stores.

I've never seen stainless nails but they're probably out
there.

The only place I have seen them is on the TV shows. Somehow, the local
places never got the word.

Word is that you can also use hot dipped galvanized hardware,
but not electro-galvanized. They even make brass coated screws that are
supposed to be compatable with the copper content, but I found that
they break very easily.

Well, if the copper in the wood is destructive to the fastener, how could
plating the fastener with a copper alloy help the situation?

?

On Sun, 7 Aug 2005 08:05:35 -0400 in John Gilmer wrote:

Well, if the copper in the wood is destructive to the fastener, how could
plating the fastener with a copper alloy help the situation?

You need an electrolyte (IE water and the other salts in the pressure
treated lumber) for the nail into wood to act like a cell and destroy
the nail. If the nail is completely coated in a copper alloy, it
won't react between the iron two metals (no electrolyte).

And for those of you thinking double dipped galvanized is a good idea,
look up Volta's pile.

--
Chris Dukes
Suspicion breeds confidence -- Brazil

Bob S.

John Gilmer wrote:

Word is that you can also use hot dipped galvanized hardware,
but not electro-galvanized. They even make brass coated screws that are
supposed to be compatable with the copper content, but I found that
they break very easily.

Well, if the copper in the wood is destructive to the fastener, how could
plating the fastener with a copper alloy help the situation?

What's eating up the hardware is corrosion between two dissimiliar
metals, i.e. copper & steel. The more similar the metals are, the less
corrosion.

The Kearsley Curse

x-no-archive: yes

USENET NEWSREADER wrote:
howdy

I am bonna build a shed in my backyard and I need to know if anyone
knows of some sources (other than the net) for stainless steel nails and
screws for working with the newer types of pressure-treated lumber out
there.

I hear with the copper content being so high, they rot out regular steel
and even the lighter-weight galvanized hangers, nails and screws.

The clips (hangers) for your fence should be ACQ compatable, at least
they are where I live. If you are not sure, ask. I installed over 400'
of fencing recently and getting enough SS nails was a bit tricky. Call
your local fencing contractor for info on where to get them. I did and
I found a good supply at a cedar mill just north of here.

BTW, double dipped galvanzied nails are fine for ACQ.

On 2005-08-07, USENET NEWSREADER wrote:
howdy

I am bonna build a shed in my backyard and I need to know if anyone
knows of some sources (other than the net) for stainless steel nails and
screws for working with the newer types of pressure-treated lumber out
there.

I hear with the copper content being so high, they rot out regular steel
and even the lighter-weight galvanized hangers, nails and screws.

First have you confirmed what you have heard? That is is there
documented evidence that this happens? Just being a doubting Thomas.
If this was really true the liability for the PT makers would be very
high.

SO far I can only find screws and nails on line and I would prefer to
buy them locally. I live in Raleigh, NC, os if anyone knows any
suppliers located within a 2-hour drive, I would appreciate it.

Please respond via the group - thanks in advance

is a garbage address.

On 2005-08-07, USENET NEWSREADER wrote:
howdy

I am bonna build a shed in my backyard and I need to know if anyone
knows of some sources (other than the net) for stainless steel nails and
screws for working with the newer types of pressure-treated lumber out
there.

I hear with the copper content being so high, they rot out regular steel
and even the lighter-weight galvanized hangers, nails and screws.

SO far I can only find screws and nails on line and I would prefer to
buy them locally. I live in Raleigh, NC, os if anyone knows any
suppliers located within a 2-hour drive, I would appreciate it.

Please respond via the group - thanks in advance

Have you tried Stock Building Supply, Guy C. Lee or First Source (They
had a store on US64 between Apex and Pittsboro - not sure if they are
there still).

is a garbage address.
The Kearsley Curse

x-no-archive: yes

BTW, you emailed me re. the SS nails.

Just call any fencing contractor in your area. I am sure they will know
where to get a good supply of SS nails. I am way up in Canada. But I
dealt with http://www.aquilacedar.com/ if you want to call them.

USENET NEWSREADER wrote:
howdy

I am bonna build a shed in my backyard and I need to know if anyone
knows of some sources (other than the net) for stainless steel nails and
screws for working with the newer types of pressure-treated lumber out
there.

I hear with the copper content being so high, they rot out regular steel
and even the lighter-weight galvanized hangers, nails and screws.

SO far I can only find screws and nails on line and I would prefer to
buy them locally. I live in Raleigh, NC, os if anyone knows any
suppliers located within a 2-hour drive, I would appreciate it.

Please respond via the group - thanks in advance

willshak

On 8/6/2005 10:22 PM US(ET), USENET NEWSREADER took fingers to keys, and
typed the following:

howdy

I am bonna build a shed in my backyard and I need to know if anyone
knows of some sources (other than the net) for stainless steel nails
and screws for working with the newer types of pressure-treated lumber
out there.

I hear with the copper content being so high, they rot out regular
steel and even the lighter-weight galvanized hangers, nails and screws.

SO far I can only find screws and nails on line and I would prefer to
buy them locally. I live in Raleigh, NC, os if anyone knows any
suppliers located within a 2-hour drive, I would appreciate it.

Please respond via the group - thanks in advance

Lowes (where I bought my PT screws, I didn't check at HD). Phillips deck
screws for new PT formula. Anti-camout rib screws (ACR) with screw bit
in box. Duralast coating (looks like drk. grey paint). These screws
claim to be paintable and stainable.

--
Bill