Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

Default Nuisance fastners - winge

I had occasion to dismantle a cheap pedestal fan the other day (Coles
Home Collection). It hadn't failed, but I wanted to see how it was wired
up (that's another story).

The cover to the button panel was held in place by four screws which
were identical except that two were philips head type, and the other two
had a triangular socket in the head.

I have bits to cope with most things I've encountered, but not those.
What's the point? Are they worried about competition for repairing these
$10 fans?

Do consumers regularly electrocute themselves by taking fans apart
without knowing what they're doing?

Sylvia.

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 09 Feb 2011 22:29:35 +1100, Sylvia Else
wrote:

I had occasion to dismantle a cheap pedestal fan the other day (Coles
Home Collection). It hadn't failed, but I wanted to see how it was wired
up (that's another story).

The cover to the button panel was held in place by four screws which
were identical except that two were philips head type, and the other two
had a triangular socket in the head.

I have bits to cope with most things I've encountered, but not those.
What's the point? Are they worried about competition for repairing these
$10 fans?

Do consumers regularly electrocute themselves by taking fans apart
without knowing what they're doing?

Sylvia.

I just used a small flat blade screwdriver to remove them. Got to be
the right size though to jam along one flat of the triangle.

--
Sell your surplus electronic components at
http://ozcomponents.com
Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

I had occasion to dismantle a cheap pedestal fan the other day (Coles
Home Collection). It hadn't failed, but I wanted to see how it was wired
up (that's another story).

The cover to the button panel was held in place by four screws which
were identical except that two were philips head type, and the other two
had a triangular socket in the head.

I have bits to cope with most things I've encountered, but not those.
What's the point? Are they worried about competition for repairing these
$10 fans?

Do consumers regularly electrocute themselves by taking fans apart
without knowing what they're doing?

Sylvia.

I just used a small flat blade screwdriver to remove them. Got to be
the right size though to jam along one flat of the triangle.

Well, I got one of them undone using a tri-wing bit, but stripped the
other attempting to do the same thing. However, I managed to see what I
wanted to see.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e9/Screw_Head_-_Tri-wing.svg/40px-Screw_Head_-_Tri-wing.svg.png

Sylvia.

--
Sell your surplus electronic components at
http://ozcomponents.com
Search or browse for that IC, capacitor,
crystal or other component you need.
Or find new components at http://auscomponents.com

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

Which was ?
Is there a point to this thread apart from the type of screw you couldn't screw ?

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

On 10/02/2011 3:05 AM, fritz wrote:

Which was ?
Is there a point to this thread apart from the type of screw you couldn't screw ?

Not really. The word "winge" in the subject line should have hinted at that.

Sylvia.

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

*wrote:

[...]

And how was it wired up ?
Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

In a particular way.

Sylvia.

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

On 2/9/2011 5:29 AM, Sylvia Else wrote:
Do consumers regularly electrocute themselves by taking fans apart
without knowing what they're doing?

I'm reminded of an old Rodriguez cartoon in Popular Electronics.

First panel: On a large speaker cabinet. "to prevent shock do not
remove cover"

Second panel: Owner taking out a LOT of screws.

Third panel: Owner on floor clutching chest. Inside of huge cabinet
has 2" transistor radio speaker inside.

Jeff

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

"Sylvia Else" wrote in message
I had occasion to dismantle a cheap pedestal fan the other day (Coles Home
Collection). It hadn't failed, but I wanted to see how it was wired up
(that's another story).

The cover to the button panel was held in place by four screws which were
identical except that two were philips head type, and the other two had a
triangular socket in the head.

I have bits to cope with most things I've encountered, but not those.
What's the point? Are they worried about competition for repairing these
$10 fans?

Do consumers regularly electrocute themselves by taking fans apart without
knowing what they're doing?

Sylvia.

They are only a tamperproof head of which there are various and easily
available.. Wait until you come across a coffin head screw.I believe the
reason for using them is that some countries prevent the dismantle of an
appliance without the use of a tool or special tool so this way all fields
are covered in one assembly. Did you find out how it worked. They are made
to break. Best way to keep them longer is to keep the Blades clean and
lubricate the bearings NOT with WD40 or the like.

Metro

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

On 10/02/2011 11:23 AM, Metro wrote:
"Sylvia wrote in message
[...]

As I said, it hadn't broken. I was actually trying to figure out which
wire was which leading to the induction motor. I had in mind making it
run backwards. Aerofoils don't perform as well backwards, but they do
perform. However, on further consideration I realised that the fan
blades would be aerodynamically stalled if the fan ran backwards, with
the result that it would probably not work much at all.

Sylvia.

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

"Sylvia wrote in message
[...]

If the fan is symetrical - snap off pairs of opposing blades.

Doesn't matter if there's only 6 to start with - some helicopters have
"scissor" tail rotors.

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

"Sylvia wrote in message
[...]

That's not going to fix the problem of the blades being stalled.

What I would really need to do is fit the one-piece fan blade assembly
on back to front (as well as reversing the motor), but the fan blade
assembly is not designed to be attached the other way around.

Sylvia.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sylvia Else wrote:

What I would really need to do is fit the one-piece fan blade assembly
on back to front (as well as reversing the motor), but the fan blade
assembly is not designed to be attached the other way around.

If it is a shaded-pole induction motor, it will not be possible to run
it in reveres unless you dismantle the whole assembly and put the stator
in the other way around. It would be more effective to get a spare fan
boss and make new blades for it.

(I have made a shaded-pole gramophone motor run backwards, but I had to
completely rebuild it and add extra windings to make it work.)

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk
Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

"Sylvia * wrote in message
[...]

Might sound silly, but cant the entire fan head (including motor) be
rotated 180 degrees, or do you want the
air intake without the motor in the way ?

Nuisance youths John UK diy 78 July 17th 09 08:50 PM
RCD nuisance trip Andy Burns UK diy 14 January 6th 07 08:30 PM
nails & fastners needed for PT lumber USENET NEWSREADER Home Repair 16 August 11th 05 12:21 PM
Help with Fastners Bob D. Woodworking 9 May 30th 05 07:34 PM
dealing with a nuisance dog Metalworking 16 January 4th 05 03:14 PM