Bob D.

Default Help with Fastners

Newbie to this newsgroup here. I would like some help if you can.

I am preparing to make picture frames for my wife's art work. I have located
all of the corner clamps and miterbox/saws that I need and now I am down to
finding the fasteners. I have the glue and 4p and 6d finish nails but I am
having trouble locating a source for the fasteners for the back of the
mitered corners.

I have an old book that called them "Skotch Fasteners". I describe them like
this: If you have ever had an Ace Bandage wrapped on a sprained ankle or
knee or wrist, after the elastic bandage was wrapped they placed a thin
metal fastener across the end of the bandage and it gripped the bandage on
both ends by points made in the fastener.

It is shaped much like a modern day Butterfly bandage but it's metal and has
sharp points on the back that are driven down into the wood across the
mitered joint after the joint is glued and clamped.

Does anyone know what the "real" name for these are and where I might find
them? I have checked Home Depot, Lowe's and other hardware stores but no
luck and I'm not sure they understood what I was trying to describe since I
didn't have a brand name or the proper name for the fastener.

I am open to other types of fasteners also so if you have suggestions,
please let me know. I know there is a "push in" angle type but that seemed
like a pretty expensive set up.

Thanks in advance for the help.

John B

Bob D. wrote:
[...]

Use staples, Shoot them in across the joint. They will hold everything
in place until you get the clamps on and the glue dries. You don't need
an air stapler just a good quality mechanical one will do the trick.
All the best
John
no(SPAM)vasys

Bob D. wrote:
Newbie to this newsgroup here. I would like some help if you can.

I am preparing to make picture frames for my wife's art work. I have located
all of the corner clamps and miterbox/saws that I need and now I am down to
finding the fasteners. I have the glue and 4p and 6d finish nails but I am
having trouble locating a source for the fasteners for the back of the
mitered corners.

I have an old book that called them "Skotch Fasteners". I describe them like
this: If you have ever had an Ace Bandage wrapped on a sprained ankle or
knee or wrist, after the elastic bandage was wrapped they placed a thin
metal fastener across the end of the bandage and it gripped the bandage on
both ends by points made in the fastener.

Try he

http://doityourself.com/store/8580946.htm

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)

George

"Bob D." wrote in message
Terrific! That is exactly what I am looking for, THANKS!

Bob...

You really don't want to do that. They are more trouble than they're worth,
and as likely to break the joint as reinforce it.

I've made a _lot_ of frames, and with the exception of the humongously heavy
ones, which received help from screwed-on right angle braces, they hang
tight with brads and glue. Now that I finally own a pneumatic brad shooter,
I sometimes omit clamping on the smaller ones, letting the brads hold it
until the glue dries....

Bob D.

Hmmmm. Okay... Boy, now I will have think about all the help I have
received. John says to use just plain ole Arrow staples, and I already have
those so If some of my joints are loose, I try those first.

Thanks to ALL of you for the quick response and all the help. It is
appreciated!

Bob...

"George" george@least wrote in message

"Bob D." wrote in message
Terrific! That is exactly what I am looking for, THANKS!

Bob...

You really don't want to do that. They are more trouble than they're
worth,
and as likely to break the joint as reinforce it.

I've made a _lot_ of frames, and with the exception of the humongously
heavy
ones, which received help from screwed-on right angle braces, they hang
tight with brads and glue. Now that I finally own a pneumatic brad
shooter,
I sometimes omit clamping on the smaller ones, letting the brads hold it
until the glue dries....

Lew Hodgett

Bob D. wrote:

I have an old book that called them "Skotch Fasteners".

Still a valid description.

Guess I must be showing my age G.

Lew
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Bob D. wrote:
[...]

"Skotch" is the real name. Skotch fasteners _are_ readily available.
Ace Hardware, among other sources carries them.

Google for it. spelling counts. the 2nd letter _is_ a K.

I have checked Home Depot, Lowe's and other hardware stores but no
luck and I'm not sure they understood what I was trying to describe since I
didn't have a brand name or the proper name for the fastener.

"Skotch" _is_ the brand name. and the propern name. ,grin

I am open to other types of fasteners also so if you have suggestions,
please let me know. I know there is a "push in" angle type but that seemed
like a pretty expensive set up.

There are also "corrugated fasteners", that might be worth a look.