Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Bob D. wrote:
Newbie to this newsgroup here. I would like some help if you can.

I am preparing to make picture frames for my wife's art work. I have located
all of the corner clamps and miterbox/saws that I need and now I am down to
finding the fasteners. I have the glue and 4p and 6d finish nails but I am
having trouble locating a source for the fasteners for the back of the
mitered corners.

I have an old book that called them "Skotch Fasteners". I describe them like
this: If you have ever had an Ace Bandage wrapped on a sprained ankle or
knee or wrist, after the elastic bandage was wrapped they placed a thin
metal fastener across the end of the bandage and it gripped the bandage on
both ends by points made in the fastener.

It is shaped much like a modern day Butterfly bandage but it's metal and has
sharp points on the back that are driven down into the wood across the
mitered joint after the joint is glued and clamped.

Does anyone know what the "real" name for these are and where I might find
them?

"Skotch" is the real name. Skotch fasteners _are_ readily available.
Ace Hardware, among other sources carries them.

Google for it. spelling counts. the 2nd letter _is_ a K.

I have checked Home Depot, Lowe's and other hardware stores but no
luck and I'm not sure they understood what I was trying to describe since I
didn't have a brand name or the proper name for the fastener.

"Skotch" _is_ the brand name. and the propern name. ,grin

I am open to other types of fasteners also so if you have suggestions,
please let me know. I know there is a "push in" angle type but that seemed
like a pretty expensive set up.

There are also "corrugated fasteners", that might be worth a look.