Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair
Sylvia Else[_2_] Sylvia Else[_2_] is offline

Default Nuisance fastners - winge

On 10/02/2011 10:08 AM, kreed wrote:
On Feb 9, 10:35 pm, Sylvia wrote:
On 9/02/2011 11:23 PM, Alan wrote:

On Wed, 09 Feb 2011 22:29:35 +1100, Sylvia Else
wrote:

I had occasion to dismantle a cheap pedestal fan the other day (Coles
Home Collection). It hadn't failed, but I wanted to see how it was wired
up (that's another story).

The cover to the button panel was held in place by four screws which
were identical except that two were philips head type, and the other two
had a triangular socket in the head.

I have bits to cope with most things I've encountered, but not those.
What's the point? Are they worried about competition for repairing these
$10 fans?

Do consumers regularly electrocute themselves by taking fans apart
without knowing what they're doing?

Sylvia.
I just used a small flat blade screwdriver to remove them. Got to be
the right size though to jam along one flat of the triangle.

Well, I got one of them undone using a tri-wing bit, but stripped the
other attempting to do the same thing. However, I managed to see what I
wanted to see.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e9/Screw_Head_-...

Sylvia.

--
Sell your surplus electronic components at
http://ozcomponents.com

And how was it wired up ?

In a particular way.

Sylvia.