Posted to sci.electronics.repair
T i m T i m is offline

Default Nuisance fastners - winge

On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 00:18:39 +1100, Sylvia Else
wrote:

The application is to suck cool air in through an open window at night.
During the recent heat wave, it was noticeable that even though the
temperature outside drops at night, the temperature of the house doesn't
drop that much. The problem is lack of air flow.

A conventional pedestal fan blows in such a direction that when it's
placed as near as possible to a window, the fan blades are still quite a
way from the cool air, and so the result is not as effective as it might
be. If I could reverse the direction of flow, then I could also turn
then fan around, so that the blades would be much closer to the window.

I considered simply building a duct, but the cost of materials was
excessive.

If we are talking temporary would some the use of some thickish
polythene sheet and gaffa tape be out of the question (to 'join' the
fan to the window opening)?

We have a split unit aircon unit in the (unoccupied) middle bedroom
but with all the bedroom doors open and the landing separated from the
rest of the house via a temporary 'curtain of polythene sheet tacked
to a baton and attached to the ceiling (by just 2 screws) works very
well at cooling all the bedrooms.

And no one here GsAF what it looked like, just that it worked ...
hmmm, 18 Deg C

Well, for the 2 weeks we call 'summer' here in the UK anyway. ;-)

Cheers, T i m