Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Newsgroup spammer hunted down...

A raging mob of s.e.r. computer geeks tracked down and destroyed the
credit ratings of a notorious newsgroup spammer recently.

The spammer may not even be aware of the attack as it is likely to show
up in ways unexpected. However they left such an easy trail in their
postings that even a neophyte could track 'em.

Details on the evening news @ http://www.youareaspamtwit04fools.com

John ;-#)#

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 6/11/2010 10:57 AM John Robertson spake thus:

A raging mob of s.e.r. computer geeks tracked down and destroyed the
credit ratings of a notorious newsgroup spammer recently.

The spammer may not even be aware of the attack as it is likely to show
up in ways unexpected. However they left such an easy trail in their
postings that even a neophyte could track 'em.

Details on the evening news @ http://www.youareaspamtwit04fools.com

If only.

More on-topic question: how is it that the above URL gets redirected to
"Look-up-results" (aka Yahoo!) when clicked upon? WTF?!?!?

http://www2.look-up-results.com/sear...9_a Ra-4G62FT

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 6/11/2010 10:57 AM John Robertson spake thus:

Details on the evening news @ http://www.youareaspamtwit04fools.com

If only.

More on-topic question: how is it that the above URL gets redirected to
"Look-up-results" (aka Yahoo!) when clicked upon? WTF?!?!?

http://www2.look-up-results.com/sear...9_a Ra-4G62FT

You must be using Yahoo as your search engine on your browser or news
reader. When I click on the invented link it just pops up "Can't find
it" type of message on FireFox...

John :-#)#
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 6/11/2010 12:02 PM John Robertson spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 6/11/2010 10:57 AM John Robertson spake thus:

Details on the evening news @ http://www.youareaspamtwit04fools.com

If only.

More on-topic question: how is it that the above URL gets redirected to
"Look-up-results" (aka Yahoo!) when clicked upon? WTF?!?!?

http://www2.look-up-results.com/sear...9_a Ra-4G62FT

You must be using Yahoo as your search engine on your browser or news
reader. When I click on the invented link it just pops up "Can't find
it" type of message on FireFox...

Well, that's the odd thing: I don't use Yahoo! for anything (not that I
know of, anyhow), and yet it's somehow linked via my browser. Goddamned
Firefox: probably some default configuration setting, buried in one
a'them about:config settings somewhere ...

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 6/11/2010 10:57 AM John Robertson spake thus:

Details on the evening news @ http://www.youareaspamtwit04fools.com

If only.

More on-topic question: how is it that the above URL gets redirected to
"Look-up-results" (aka Yahoo!) when clicked upon? WTF?!?!?

http://www2.look-up-results.com/sear...9_a Ra-4G62FT

You must be using Yahoo as your search engine on your browser or news
reader. When I click on the invented link it just pops up "Can't find
it" type of message on FireFox...

Well, that's the odd thing: I don't use Yahoo! for anything (not that I
know of, anyhow), and yet it's somehow linked via my browser. Goddamned
Firefox: probably some default configuration setting, buried in one
a'them about:config settings somewhere ...

Firefox is linked (strategically) to Google, not Yahoo...

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 6/11/2010 10:57 AM John Robertson spake thus:

Details on the evening news @ http://www.youareaspamtwit04fools.com

If only.

More on-topic question: how is it that the above URL gets redirected to
"Look-up-results" (aka Yahoo!) when clicked upon? WTF?!?!?

http://www2.look-up-results.com/sear...9_a Ra-4G62FT

You must be using Yahoo as your search engine on your browser or news
reader. When I click on the invented link it just pops up "Can't find
it" type of message on FireFox...

Well, that's the odd thing: I don't use Yahoo! for anything (not that I
know of, anyhow), and yet it's somehow linked via my browser. Goddamned
Firefox: probably some default configuration setting, buried in one
a'them about:config settings somewhere ...

Firefox is linked (strategically) to Google, not Yahoo...

Really? Then why did I have to wander all through a local business
to change the default search engine from Yahoo to Google on every
install of Firefox?

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 12/06/2010 18:15, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Firefox is linked (strategically) to Google, not Yahoo...

Really? Then why did I have to wander all through a local business
to change the default search engine from Yahoo to Google on every
install of Firefox?

Java runtime install :-(

--
Adrian C
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 6/12/2010 10:15 AM Michael A. Terrell spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

Yes, why indeed?

In my installation, as I suspect with most "out-of-the-box" Firefoxii,
my default search engine *for the search field in the toolbar* is
Google, but obviously Yahoo! is invoked on some level by the browser as
well (in this case, for unreachable URLs and such). Why is a mystery to me.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 6/12/2010 12:24 PM Adrian C spake thus:

On 12/06/2010 18:15, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Firefox is linked (strategically) to Google, not Yahoo...

Really? Then why did I have to wander all through a local business
to change the default search engine from Yahoo to Google on every
install of Firefox?

Java runtime install :-(

So you're saying that installing Java somehow makes Yahoo! the default
address for certain Firefox functions?

Lovely, just lovely.

-

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 6/12/2010 5:05 AM PeterD spake thus:

Firefox is linked (strategically) to Google, not Yahoo...

So may be you, or someone else, can help me here. Using about:config, I
see the following configuration items that have "yahoo" in them:

browser.search.order.Yahoo:
chrome://branding/content/searchconfig.properties
browser.search.order.Yahoo.1:
chrome://branding/content/searchconfig.properties
browser.search.order.Yahoo.2:
chrome://branding/content/searchconfig.properties
browser.search.param.yahoo-f-CN:
D3_g
browser.search.param.yahoo-fr:
moz2
browser.search.param.yahoo-fr-cjkt:
moz2

I don't really know what these "preferences" mean or what the values
mean. Is there some way I can tweak my configuration items so that
Yahoo! is no longer my default *anything*?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

Apparently, the default search provider for their ISP was Yahoo at
one time. A quick install of Firefox copies the defaults from IE, so
all their computers ended up with Yahoo. Earthlink uses Yahoo for
default, so if I have to access a website that only works with IE, Yahoo
Search will pop up, because errors on their DNS defaults to Yahoo
Search.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:

So you're saying that installing Java somehow makes Yahoo! the default
address for certain Firefox functions?

Lovely, just lovely.

IIRC, when you install Java, one of the decision points will, by
default, make Yahoo! your default search engine. If you uncheck the box
on the page, nothing changes.

Pretty simple fix, but you have to be paying attention to the questions
you're being asked and not just blindly click "Yes/Accept" to every prompt.

Bob Pownall
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 13/06/2010 04:57, Bob Pownall wrote:

IIRC, when you install Java, one of the decision points will, by
default, make Yahoo! your default search engine. If you uncheck the box
on the page, nothing changes.

Correct.

Pretty simple fix, but you have to be paying attention to the questions
you're being asked and not just blindly click "Yes/Accept" to every prompt.

On a case by case basis, I've actually been removing Java from machines
for users that don't really need it. Stops the persistant update
notices, them installing the toolbars and other junk.

--
Adrian C
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 09:35:53 +0100, Adrian C ǝʇoɹʍ:

On 13/06/2010 04:57, Bob Pownall wrote:

IIRC, when you install Java, one of the decision points will, by
default, make Yahoo! your default search engine. If you uncheck the box
on the page, nothing changes.

Correct.

Pretty simple fix, but you have to be paying attention to the questions
you're being asked and not just blindly click "Yes/Accept" to every
prompt.

On a case by case basis, I've actually been removing Java from machines
for users that don't really need it. Stops the persistant update
notices, them installing the toolbars and other junk.

Java updates can be disable and the tool bar crap is an easy op-out
during the initial install. There are lots of things that require Java
and no machine need go without it because of these silly issues that are
easily dealt with.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 13/06/2010 15:15, Meat Plow wrote:

Java updates can be disable and the tool bar crap is an easy op-out
during the initial install. There are lots of things that require Java

Not that many of importance to elderly folks who hardly touch the web
browser anyway ...

--
Adrian C

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 16:00:34 +0100, Adrian C ǝʇoɹʍ:

On 13/06/2010 15:15, Meat Plow wrote:

Java updates can be disable and the tool bar crap is an easy op-out
during the initial install. There are lots of things that require Java

Not that many of importance to elderly folks who hardly touch the web
browser anyway ...

No it's not really. Do you do IT work for an elderly-folks assisted
living home?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 13/06/2010 16:50, Meat Plow wrote:
On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 16:00:34 +0100, Adrian C ǝʇoɹʍ:

On 13/06/2010 15:15, Meat Plow wrote:

Java updates can be disable and the tool bar crap is an easy op-out
during the initial install. There are lots of things that require Java

Not that many of importance to elderly folks who hardly touch the web
browser anyway ...

No it's not really. Do you do IT work for an elderly-folks assisted
living home?

Virtually, yes.

I posted this somewhere sometime ago.

-------

Got a few elderly pensioner folk (them) that get sent in my direction.

Them: I hear you know something about that www internet thing?

Me: Er, yeah ...

Them: Can I buy a computer so I can look at the www internet thing?

Me: Your local library has plenty of internet terminals, classes on
using the internet, people you can talk to, books you can read about
computers, magazines. They are spending money so you don't have to.

Them: Don't want that. Can YOU buy ME a computer so I can look at the
www internet thing? I'll give you the money.

Me: No.

'
'
'

Then later ....

Them: My son has given me this computer and set it up. I'm not that good
with computers and need to send an urgent email with a picture of Jim &
Helen's new kid. Can YOU do that for ME?

Me: No.

Them: My computer doesn't startup anymore. Someone said it may have a
virus. When I got my computer it had Norton on it so it shouldn't have a
virus. I'm not that good with computers but need it for my grandkids to
play with it when they visit. Can YOU fix it?

Me: No.

-------

And also this ....

-------

I'm the one plagued with relatives wanting their computers sorted out,
windows update, AV updates, spyware, crashed drive etc...

Support story has been told on uk.comp.homebuilt, but now a new sinister
development has taken place, which is now causing me grief. It's hand
holding in extremis :-(

They buy a computer and use it for outlook express email. That's it -
period.

No interest in using a web browser.
No interest in learning how to change a print cartridge in an ink-jet
printer.
No interest in buying a cheap laser printer to avoid problems of above.
No interest in learning how to transfer pictures from their digital camera.
No interest in using google.
No interest in attending computer literacy classes.
No interest in starting up TeamViewer / Remote Desktop. I *have* to
drive over.

Just had a chap ring asking me to come over and print him out a map on
how to travel around Peterborough. He was once upon a time (many years)
a school teacher....

Another (flower arranger) wants me to help (no, actually do - because
she can't be arsed to follow the clear emailed instructions) populate a
web application with photos from her cruise holiday so that they get an
expensive personalised printed book momento of it.

It goes on ...

There is no learning involved here, there is no point of me teaching
them anything. They can't be bothered. Attention span of a gnat. All of
them.

And a few weeks later, I get called back to do exactly the same kind of
things again. It's like, I'm not computer support. I'm their operator... "

--------

Situation still the same, but some are now more persuaded to let me in
via remote desktop. I charge dearly ...

--
Adrian C
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 6/13/2010 10:47 AM Adrian C spake thus:

I posted this somewhere sometime ago.

-------

Got a few elderly pensioner folk (them) that get sent in my direction.

Them: I hear you know something about that www internet thing?

Me: Er, yeah ...

Them: Can I buy a computer so I can look at the www internet thing?

Me: Your local library has plenty of internet terminals, classes on
using the internet, people you can talk to, books you can read about
computers, magazines. They are spending money so you don't have to.

Them: Don't want that. Can YOU buy ME a computer so I can look at the
www internet thing? I'll give you the money.

Me: No.

[snip]

You sound like exactly the kind of know-it-all elitist that these folks
*don't* need. If you have the skills to help them, why don't you?

Oh, I see, it's because they're not interested in the computer except
for [fill in single application--email, web, etc.--they ARE interested
in]. So that's a crime? They just want to use the goddamn thing for
something THEY consider a worthwhile usage, but that's not good enough
for you. You simply must criticize them for being uninterested in the
things that *you* consider essential for any computer user to know.

Sheesh.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 13/06/2010 19:51, David Nebenzahl wrote:

Them: Don't want that. Can YOU buy ME a computer so I can look at the
www internet thing? I'll give you the money.

Me: No.

You sound like exactly the kind of know-it-all elitist that these folks
*don't* need.

Correct. If I could be left alone ...

If you have the skills to help them, why don't you?

"Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish
and he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day"

Didn't make it down to the bottom of my post, did you?

--
Adrian C
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 6/13/2010 12:28 PM Adrian C spake thus:

On 13/06/2010 19:51, David Nebenzahl wrote:

Them: Don't want that. Can YOU buy ME a computer so I can look at the
www internet thing? I'll give you the money.

Me: No.

You sound like exactly the kind of know-it-all elitist that these folks
*don't* need.

Correct. If I could be left alone ...

If you have the skills to help them, why don't you?

"Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish
and he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day"

Didn't make it down to the bottom of my post, did you?

It was exactly what was at the bottom of your post that I was commenting on.

Instead of kvetching about what clueless and uncurious fools these
people are, you could have helped them: solved their problem, and (I'm
assuming) gotten paid for it. They would have been happy, and you would
have made some easy money.

Unless you see your mission as some kind of misplaced computer literacy
campaign. Obviously, these folks don't care *how* their computer or this
internet thingy works; they just want it to work. Is that a crime?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 13/06/2010 20:36, David Nebenzahl wrote:

Unless you see your mission as some kind of misplaced computer literacy
campaign. Obviously, these folks don't care *how* their computer or this
internet thingy works;

Agreed.

they just want it to work.

Nope, they want me to do their work for them. Personal assistant like.

Is that a crime?

It's a punishment on both sides.

Take ten years from now, a lot of people, young and old, will be lost
and confused as electronic communications become more fundamental to
"life, death and taxes". They will also be feeling rightly ripped off,
as everyone else has access to the cost benefits of shopping on line.

You call my worry about that a "misplaced computer literacy campaign"?

Perhaps in the future we will see folks employed as "technology personal
assistants" in the same vein that people employ personal accountants
today. I'm not talking about Best Buy 'Geek Squad' resolutions to
technical problems. Nope it will be someone skilled who can move a mouse
and fill in a web form, for those that won't :-(

I want another job, something more worthwhile than that...

--
Adrian C
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 12:27:46 -0700, Jeff Liebermann ǝʇoɹʍ:

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 18:47:32 +0100, Adrian C wrote:

No it's not really. Do you do IT work for an elderly-folks assisted
living home?

I do some. (Hint: I'm 62.5 years old). Few computers in assisted
living, but in the independent living section, my guess is about 30% of
the apartments have computers of some sorts.

Funny how kids count their years in fractions like "I'm 7 and a half."
Once you're 21 that stops but picks back up in your 60's

Well if I survive another 4 months that will put me at the half century
mark +5

The spammer SQLit Home Repair 5 August 8th 05 12:33 AM
Thanks to this spammer Tom Dacon Metalworking 10 August 3rd 05 10:34 PM
Hunters and the Hunted on the Arizona Border Cliff Metalworking 4 April 22nd 05 07:05 PM
SPAMMER Tom Storey Woodturning 2 November 23rd 04 03:07 AM