Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Adrian C Adrian C is offline

Default Newsgroup spammer hunted down...

On 13/06/2010 16:50, Meat Plow wrote:
On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 16:00:34 +0100, Adrian C ǝʇoɹʍ:

On 13/06/2010 15:15, Meat Plow wrote:

Java updates can be disable and the tool bar crap is an easy op-out
during the initial install. There are lots of things that require Java

Not that many of importance to elderly folks who hardly touch the web
browser anyway ...

No it's not really. Do you do IT work for an elderly-folks assisted
living home?

Virtually, yes.

I posted this somewhere sometime ago.

-------

Got a few elderly pensioner folk (them) that get sent in my direction.

Them: I hear you know something about that www internet thing?

Me: Er, yeah ...

Them: Can I buy a computer so I can look at the www internet thing?

Me: Your local library has plenty of internet terminals, classes on
using the internet, people you can talk to, books you can read about
computers, magazines. They are spending money so you don't have to.

Them: Don't want that. Can YOU buy ME a computer so I can look at the
www internet thing? I'll give you the money.

Me: No.

'
'
'

Then later ....

Them: My son has given me this computer and set it up. I'm not that good
with computers and need to send an urgent email with a picture of Jim &
Helen's new kid. Can YOU do that for ME?

Me: No.

Them: My computer doesn't startup anymore. Someone said it may have a
virus. When I got my computer it had Norton on it so it shouldn't have a
virus. I'm not that good with computers but need it for my grandkids to
play with it when they visit. Can YOU fix it?

Me: No.

-------

And also this ....

-------

I'm the one plagued with relatives wanting their computers sorted out,
windows update, AV updates, spyware, crashed drive etc...

Support story has been told on uk.comp.homebuilt, but now a new sinister
development has taken place, which is now causing me grief. It's hand
holding in extremis :-(

They buy a computer and use it for outlook express email. That's it -
period.

No interest in using a web browser.
No interest in learning how to change a print cartridge in an ink-jet
printer.
No interest in buying a cheap laser printer to avoid problems of above.
No interest in learning how to transfer pictures from their digital camera.
No interest in using google.
No interest in attending computer literacy classes.
No interest in starting up TeamViewer / Remote Desktop. I *have* to
drive over.

Just had a chap ring asking me to come over and print him out a map on
how to travel around Peterborough. He was once upon a time (many years)
a school teacher....

Another (flower arranger) wants me to help (no, actually do - because
she can't be arsed to follow the clear emailed instructions) populate a
web application with photos from her cruise holiday so that they get an
expensive personalised printed book momento of it.

It goes on ...

There is no learning involved here, there is no point of me teaching
them anything. They can't be bothered. Attention span of a gnat. All of
them.

And a few weeks later, I get called back to do exactly the same kind of
things again. It's like, I'm not computer support. I'm their operator... "

--------

Situation still the same, but some are now more persuaded to let me in
via remote desktop. I charge dearly ...

--
Adrian C