Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.repair

Default Cordless Phone batteries are all junk?

I would like to know if my cell phone battery situation is of general
nature, or perhaps I had very unusual bad luck.

We have a Uniden cordless phone system that works very well, except
that original batteries (BT-0003) have gone bad over the years.

Attempts to replace them with "Non-OEM", "Equivalent" bateries did not
work well, basically those are junk that is falsely advertised. The
sellers simply know that the batteries are uneconomical to return, so
they sell junk that will not hold charge.

This particular battery BT-0003 seems to be no longer available from
Uniden. When it was available years ago, it cost as must as a new
handset.

That price relationship leads me to believe that cordless phone
manufacturers purposely equip their phones with substandard batteries
or charging circuits, in order to sell more cordless phones.

I would like to know whether there is some "honest" cordless phone
systems that, say, use rechargeable AA batteries or something like
that that has easy, economical replacement, or where good replacement
batteries are available from known honest sellers.

Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.repair

On 2009-12-26, Ignoramus20496 wrote:
This particular battery BT-0003 seems to be no longer available from
Uniden. When it was available years ago, it cost as must as a new
handset.

Update, I did find it at Uniden for $25 apiece, plus shipping.

http://www.unidendirect.com/accdetai...em=BBTY0545001

This fact really does not change my question.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.repair

On Dec 25, 9:08*pm, Ignoramus20496 ignoramus20...@NOSPAM.
On 2009-12-26, Ignoramus20496 wrote:

This particular battery BT-0003 seems to be no longer available from
Uniden. When it was available years ago, it cost as must as a new
handset.

Update, I did find it at Uniden for $25 apiece, plus shipping.

* * * *http://www.unidendirect.com/accdetai...em=BBTY0545001

This fact really does not change my question.

We get our NMH AA cells from Batteryjunction.com. Have not heard of a
bad one. I don't know if they have the battery you specify, or not.
Then, again, you may have to but them by the case.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.repair

I would like to know whether there is some "honest" cordless phone
systems that, say, use rechargeable AA batteries or something like
that that has easy, economical replacement, or where good replacement
batteries are available from known honest sellers.

Some of the older Siemens 2.4-gig cordless phones take a pair of
standard AA NiCd or NiMH button-end cells. I don't know if that's
still true of their current models.

You might want to consider sending your existing battery packs to a
reputable battery rebuilder... they can often open the case without
destroying it, and replace the cells inside.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 23:03:56 -0600, Ignoramus20496
wrote:

[...]

Ive had EXCELLENT luck with these people

http://www.batteryspecialties.com/

Gunner

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the
means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not
making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of
it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different
countries, that the more public provisions were made for the
poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became
poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the
more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin
Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2009-12-26, Ignoramus20496 wrote:
This particular battery BT-0003 seems to be no longer available from
Uniden. When it was available years ago, it cost as must as a new
handset.

Update, I did find it at Uniden for $25 apiece, plus shipping.

http://www.unidendirect.com/accdetai...em=BBTY0545001

This fact really does not change my question.

Hard to tell from the picture... are these just AA cells
in a "custom" holder? I have had panasonic "battery packs"
of similar design and was able to disassemble the "holder"
(if you look carefully, you can see where the top "keeper"
is a separate piece that snaps on -- though yours may be solvent
welded) and replace the cells.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

We have a Uniden cordless phone system that works very well,

Any particular model number Uniden phone system?

except
that original batteries (BT-0003) have gone bad over the years.

How many years? My various Panasonic cordless phones seem to last
about 8-10 years. I'm on the original batteries for all of them.

Attempts to replace them with "Non-OEM", "Equivalent" bateries did not
work well,

What didn't work well? Did the battery run down too quickly? Did you
have inadequate capacity (time running on battery)? Did it fail to
take a charge? Any measurements or numbers?

basically those are junk that is falsely advertised.

Yep. 99% of everything is junk.

The
sellers simply know that the batteries are uneconomical to return, so
they sell junk that will not hold charge.

That's quite possible. I've received some fairly disgusting cell
phone batteries that I would suspect are defective. The eBay vendor
exchanged them at his expense. However, you're right that such low
end stuff is usually not economical to return. If you want cheap,
then be prepared to take some risks. If you want a warranty, be
prepared to pay for it.

This particular battery BT-0003 seems to be no longer available from
Uniden. When it was available years ago, it cost as must as a new
handset.

A quick Google search shows many vendors that sell this battery:
http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&source=hp&q=uniden%20bt-0003
at reasonable prices. I've also rebuilt these battery packs. Tear it
apart and weld some AAA NiMH rechargeable batteries in their place.
This is not brain surgery.

That price relationship leads me to believe that cordless phone
manufacturers purposely equip their phones with substandard batteries
or charging circuits, in order to sell more cordless phones.

Yep. Quality deteriorates until buyers start to complain. It then
sits forever just above the complaint threshold.

I would like to know whether there is some "honest" cordless phone
systems that, say, use rechargeable AA batteries or something like
that that has easy, economical replacement, or where good replacement
batteries are available from known honest sellers.

Probably, but I don't know of any offhand. There seems to be a
tradition (or conspiracy) that every handset product, including cell
phones, must have a non-standard or weird shaped battery. Inside,
they're all basically the same batteries, but manufacturers go through
extreme efforts to prevent interchangeability. It wasn't always that
way as I still recall the old 46/49Mhz phones, that used common AA
NiCd batteries. Something changed, probably product liability
litigation, which forced the manufacturers to change.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I don't know if it was to this group, or not, but I recently posted a remark
averring that all third-party lithium-ion batteries -- even from well-known
companies -- were junk, and a waste of money. (They are.)

I can't speak for nicad or NiMH battery packs, as I've never bought
third-party replacements. (OEM replacements have always been first-rate.)
But the prices companies want for replacements are often insane.

I've never seen a cordless phone with unwired ("loose") cells that could be
easily interchanged. Part of the reason might be legitimate safety concerns,
* but most of it is simple greed. It appears that manufacturers insist on
selling a battery pack they can profit from down the line.

You might consider tack-soldering the old leads to new cells. This can be
tricky, as you don't want to overheat the cells.

* I have a thin Sony Discman that takes two AA cells. There's nothing to
prevent you from recharging any AA cells you put in the unit, and I've
successfully recharged other brands.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.repair

Ignoramus20496 wrote:

[...]

Buy quality replacement cells from DigiKey and rebuild the batteries
yourself.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.repair

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Ignoramus20496 wrote:

[...]

My experience has been that original batteries shipped with the devices are
good - often lasting 10 years or more - but that replacements don't hold up.

I've purchased replacement cordless phone batteries at Radio Shack which
only lasted about a year.

I have a Black & Decker cordless screwdriver. The original battery packaged
with the unit has much greater capacity than the free one I had a coupon for
and had to mail in.

I think they use the lower mAh "rejects" for the freebies.

Mark Z.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.repair

"Ignoramus20496" wrote in message
I would like to know if my cell phone battery situation is of general
nature, or perhaps I had very unusual bad luck.

We have a Uniden cordless phone system that works very well, except
that original batteries (BT-0003) have gone bad over the years.

Attempts to replace them with "Non-OEM", "Equivalent" bateries did not
work well, basically those are junk that is falsely advertised. The
sellers simply know that the batteries are uneconomical to return, so
they sell junk that will not hold charge.

snip

On the other hand, I replaced the batteries in 2 Motorola cordless phones
with batteries I bought on Ebay from China for 2/$1.00 + $3 shipping. They
hold a charge noticeably longer than the OEM which worked just fine. I
guess I just got lucky.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.repair

On Dec 25, 11:03*pm, Ignoramus20496 ignoramus20...@NOSPAM.
20496.invalid wrote:
[...]

Do you mean cordless phone or cellphone, they are two different
animals in how they use power?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.repair

JR North wrote:
Not familiar with that particular battery configuration, but you can
often make up your own battery pack with the right cells. Try:
http://stores.ebay.com/All-Battery-Center
I recently made up a replacement pack for my Roomba, at a 3rd of the
cost of the OEM pack, using sub-C NimH w/tab batteries.

JR, I've got a dead Rhoomba, and would sure like some details on that.

Rex