Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cordless Phone batteries are all junk?

On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 23:03:56 -0600, Ignoramus20496
wrote:

I would like to know if my cell phone battery situation is of general
nature, or perhaps I had very unusual bad luck.

We have a Uniden cordless phone system that works very well, except
that original batteries (BT-0003) have gone bad over the years.

Attempts to replace them with "Non-OEM", "Equivalent" bateries did not
work well, basically those are junk that is falsely advertised. The
sellers simply know that the batteries are uneconomical to return, so
they sell junk that will not hold charge.

This particular battery BT-0003 seems to be no longer available from
Uniden. When it was available years ago, it cost as must as a new
handset.

That price relationship leads me to believe that cordless phone
manufacturers purposely equip their phones with substandard batteries
or charging circuits, in order to sell more cordless phones.

I would like to know whether there is some "honest" cordless phone
systems that, say, use rechargeable AA batteries or something like
that that has easy, economical replacement, or where good replacement
batteries are available from known honest sellers.

Thanks

Not meeting your expectations for longevity is not dishonest if they
honor their stated warranty. Lowest price isn't always best value.
You're just not as good at finding bargains in new consumer
electronics as you are with gov't surplus machine tools and such.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:

Not meeting your expectations for longevity is not dishonest if they
honor their stated warranty. Lowest price isn't always best value.
You're just not as good at finding bargains in new consumer
electronics as you are with gov't surplus machine tools and such.

He also ignores the fact that the phones may have problems that are
damaging the batteries. K-mart sells replacements for that battery pack
for about $7. the problem is, how long have any of the replacement
packs been sitting on the shelf?

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-12-26, Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Don Foreman wrote:
Not meeting your expectations for longevity is not dishonest if they
honor their stated warranty. Lowest price isn't always best value.
You're just not as good at finding bargains in new consumer
electronics as you are with gov't surplus machine tools and such.

He also ignores the fact that the phones may have problems that are
damaging the batteries. K-mart sells replacements for that battery pack
for about $7. the problem is, how long have any of the replacement
packs been sitting on the shelf?

All I want, is a battery pack that would last me 4 years. You have a
good point that perhaps the chargers are damaging batteries. My
understanding of this is that the chargers are programmed to charge
only one type of battery (such as Ni-MH), whereas replacements are of
another type and that ruins them quicker than necessary.