Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair

Default Recommended USENET newsgroup access

OK, a bit off topic but may apply to others at universities as they
upgrade their computer
systems.

So UPenn and Drexel have pulled the plug on their USENET news
servers. I'm looking for recommendations on newsgroup access,
preferably via GNUS, which many consider antiquated, as far as I can
tell, it is 10 times faster to read and post than using the fancy GUI
"modern" alternatives.

Thanks!

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header
above is
ignored unless my full name AND either lasers or electronics is
included in the
subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the
FAQs.

Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

OK, a bit off topic but may apply to others at universities as they
upgrade their computer
systems.

So UPenn and Drexel have pulled the plug on their USENET news
servers. I'm looking for recommendations on newsgroup access,
preferably via GNUS, which many consider antiquated, as far as I can
tell, it is 10 times faster to read and post than using the fancy GUI
"modern" alternatives.

Thanks!

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:
http://www.repairfaq.org/

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header
above is
ignored unless my full name AND either lasers or electronics is
included in the
subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the
FAQs.

I'm disappointed to hear that. My ISP dropped usenet recently and I
have been using (including right now) news.motzarella.org, which is
free with registration. For free without registration, there's
news.aioe.org. I heard nothing but good things about news.individual.net
which I believe costs only 10 Euro/year. There are many others.
Posted to alt.lasers,sci.electronics.repair,sci.optics
msg msg is offline

Bryce wrote:

snip

My ISP dropped usenet recently and I
have been using (including right now) news.motzarella.org, which is
free with registration. For free without registration, there's
news.aioe.org.

Search the archives of this N.G. before recommending 'aioe.org';
recent unfortunate activity from its users resulted in that
serivce dropping sci.electronics.repair.

Michael
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

msg wrote:
Bryce wrote:

snip

My ISP dropped usenet recently and I
have been using (including right now) news.motzarella.org, which is
free with registration. For free without registration, there's
news.aioe.org.

Search the archives of this N.G. before recommending 'aioe.org';
recent unfortunate activity from its users resulted in that
serivce dropping sci.electronics.repair.

Michael

Hmm, this is a test posting to sci.electronics.repair from aioe.org due
to the above claim.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Lava wrote:

msg wrote:
Bryce wrote:

snip

My ISP dropped usenet recently and I
have been using (including right now) news.motzarella.org, which is
free with registration. For free without registration, there's
news.aioe.org.

Search the archives of this N.G. before recommending 'aioe.org';
recent unfortunate activity from its users resulted in that
serivce dropping sci.electronics.repair.

Michael

Hmm, this is a test posting to sci.electronics.repair from aioe.org due
to the above claim.

AIOE blocked it for a while after complaints about hundreds of forged
messages were posted through their servers. In fact, all of the
sci.electronics.* groups were blocked.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Sporadic E is the Earth's aluminum foil beanie for the 'global warming'
sheep.

Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair

Sam,

I've heard good things about news.individual.net.

It costs, but not much, and is spoken highly of.

Good luck.

Martin

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Lava wrote:
msg wrote:
Bryce wrote:

snip

My ISP dropped usenet recently and I
have been using (including right now) news.motzarella.org, which is
free with registration. For free without registration, there's
news.aioe.org.
Search the archives of this N.G. before recommending 'aioe.org';
recent unfortunate activity from its users resulted in that
serivce dropping sci.electronics.repair.

Michael

Hmm, this is a test posting to sci.electronics.repair from aioe.org due
to the above claim.

AIOE blocked it for a while after complaints about hundreds of forged
messages were posted through their servers. In fact, all of the
sci.electronics.* groups were blocked.

That just proves that there are idiots all over the place.
Alt.os.linux.ubuntu and c.o.linux.advocacy have 2 or 3 users who
routinely cross-post junk. The posters should be kicked off with an all
news groups ban on them, and not destroy it for all the serious users.
Keeping a ban filter on offenders IP's would be much simpler.
Bill Baka
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Bill wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

AIOE blocked it for a while after complaints about hundreds of forged
messages were posted through their servers. In fact, all of the
sci.electronics.* groups were blocked.

That just proves that there are idiots all over the place.
Alt.os.linux.ubuntu and c.o.linux.advocacy have 2 or 3 users who
routinely cross-post junk. The posters should be kicked off with an all
news groups ban on them, and not destroy it for all the serious users.
Keeping a ban filter on offenders IP's would be much simpler.
Bill Baka

I didn't say they were cross posting, they were disrupting most
threads by forging the names of regular users. The troll was doing his
best to disrupt all of the sci.electronics newsgroups, till AIOE got
tired of all the reports. AIOE doesn't require an account, or
verification of your identity. It was designed for anonymous trolling,
from the ground, up and extremely easy to abuse. Most people using
Newsproxy drop all messages posted from AIOE, so there is little or no
chance of it happening again. That also makes it fairly useless for day
to day use on the sci.electronics.* newsgroups. I have newsproxy set to
flag AIOE at the moment, or I wouldn't have seen the 'test' post.
Several other free NNTP servers are filtered out, as well as Google
groups and trolling newsgroups that cross post to start crap.

As far as your problems on Linux newsgroups, it doesn't surprise me
one bit. The ****ty attitude some Linux users have is the perfect
breeding ground for crap like that.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Sporadic E is the Earth's aluminum foil beanie for the 'global warming'
sheep.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Bill wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
[...]

I hear that and agree since some jokers are now posting porn Spam on
multiple groups. If AIOE is that open then it is basically useless to
the serious core group users.

As far as your problems on Linux newsgroups, it doesn't surprise me
one bit. The ****ty attitude some Linux users have is the perfect
breeding ground for crap like that.

I use both, and DOS even, so I don't have the attitude, but I do get
**** for posting from XP if that's what I'm doing for the day. Some of
them actually check the header to see what system I'm using and call me
a Win-tard or some other junk from some teenager. They think the Linux
command line is the only one and are too young to realize that some of
us have actually used 'scripts', originating from the DOS batch file
ability.
Cheers,
Bill Baka

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Bill wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Bill wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
[...]

That was my point, exactly. If almost no one sees it, it's useless.

As far as your problems on Linux newsgroups, it doesn't surprise me
one bit. The ****ty attitude some Linux users have is the perfect
breeding ground for crap like that.

I use both, and DOS even, so I don't have the attitude, but I do get
**** for posting from XP if that's what I'm doing for the day. Some of
them actually check the header to see what system I'm using and call me
a Win-tard or some other junk from some teenager. They think the Linux
command line is the only one and are too young to realize that some of
us have actually used 'scripts', originating from the DOS batch file
ability.

Or that some of us used computers before they were even born. Too bad
I lost that copy of Windows 1.0, they would really freak. ;-)

I have a couple systems with Linux on them, but I can't do a lot of
the work I need on them, so they are rarely used. In fact, I keep a Win
ME computer around for some OCR and scanning software. It does things
software for newer OS don't, and I have multiple scanners and spare
hardware to keep it on my network, for years. I can scan a wrinkled,
stained old schematic or data sheet and clean it up in a few minutes,
where the newer software has large blocks blacked out. The HP XP
compatible scanners and software I have aren't TWAIN compliant, or work
with Paperport without a lot of file conversions.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Sporadic E is the Earth's aluminum foil beanie for the 'global warming'
sheep.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Bill wrote:
I use both, and DOS even, so I don't have the attitude, but I do get
**** for posting from XP if that's what I'm doing for the day. Some of
them actually check the header to see what system I'm using and call me
a Win-tard or some other junk from some teenager. They think the Linux
command line is the only one and are too young to realize that some of
us have actually used 'scripts', originating from the DOS batch file
ability.

Or that some of us used computers before they were even born. Too bad
I lost that copy of Windows 1.0, they would really freak. ;-)

I started with 3.1 since I loved the command line and did not actually
ever want to use Windows, but it was forced upon me for work. That
windows you could crash and still be able to re-boot to DOS and fix it.

I have a couple systems with Linux on them, but I can't do a lot of
the work I need on them, so they are rarely used. In fact, I keep a Win
ME computer around for some OCR and scanning software. It does things
software for newer OS don't, and I have multiple scanners and spare
hardware to keep it on my network, for years. I can scan a wrinkled,
stained old schematic or data sheet and clean it up in a few minutes,
where the newer software has large blocks blacked out. The HP XP
compatible scanners and software I have aren't TWAIN compliant, or work
with Paperport without a lot of file conversions.

Same here, all 3 of my scanners will only work with windows and don't
have any UNIX/Linux type drivers. 1995 HP SCSI, 2000 Visioneer on LPT1,
and a 2 year old HP negative and paper scanner on USB.
Only my HP printer can be used in Linux, and yes the windows software is
still better for touching things up, and OCR.
And, as you said, Paperport is much better than even the HP software.
Cheers,
Bill Baka

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Bill wrote:

I started with 3.1 since I loved the command line and did not actually
ever want to use Windows, but it was forced upon me for work. That
windows you could crash and still be able to re-boot to DOS and fix it.

Windows 1.0 was a joke. Somewhere I have an early review where it
stated something like, "Windows is the worst piece of crap ever foisted
on a computer user". 1.0 was a crude shell over an early version of DOS
for the 640 kB XT & early 286 computers.

Same here, all 3 of my scanners will only work with windows and don't
have any UNIX/Linux type drivers. 1995 HP SCSI, 2000 Visioneer on LPT1,
and a 2 year old HP negative and paper scanner on USB.
Only my HP printer can be used in Linux, and yes the windows software is
still better for touching things up, and OCR.
And, as you said, Paperport is much better than even the HP software.

I was using my Visioneer 4400 USB scanner to scan parts for my
website, before I bought a camera with a good macro function.

http://home.earthlink.net/~mike.terrell/Ephar.html shows a few items. I
got a decent image, with a good depth of field. Some of the items were
close to an inch high. The trick was to lay a white cotton tee shirt
over the item, and use my florescent ring light about six inches above
the shirt to provide a diffused backlight.

I have several early HP SCSI scanners, but haven't tested them. They
take up so much room on my 3' * 5' computer table that I only have room
for one computer. One has the adapter to convert 35mm slides to scans.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Sporadic E is the Earth's aluminum foil beanie for the 'global warming'
sheep.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Bill wrote:
I started with 3.1 since I loved the command line and did not actually
ever want to use Windows, but it was forced upon me for work. That
windows you could crash and still be able to re-boot to DOS and fix it.

Windows 1.0 was a joke. Somewhere I have an early review where it
stated something like, "Windows is the worst piece of crap ever foisted
on a computer user". 1.0 was a crude shell over an early version of DOS
for the 640 kB XT & early 286 computers.

Was that EGA level pictures way back then?

Same here, all 3 of my scanners will only work with windows and don't
have any UNIX/Linux type drivers. 1995 HP SCSI, 2000 Visioneer on LPT1,
and a 2 year old HP negative and paper scanner on USB.
Only my HP printer can be used in Linux, and yes the windows software is
still better for touching things up, and OCR.
And, as you said, Paperport is much better than even the HP software.

I was using my Visioneer 4400 USB scanner to scan parts for my
website, before I bought a camera with a good macro function.

Same here, especially if you want to dell anything on Ebay.

http://home.earthlink.net/~mike.terrell/Ephar.html shows a few items. I
got a decent image, with a good depth of field. Some of the items were
close to an inch high. The trick was to lay a white cotton tee shirt
over the item, and use my florescent ring light about six inches above
the shirt to provide a diffused backlight.

I have several early HP SCSI scanners, but haven't tested them. They
take up so much room on my 3' * 5' computer table that I only have room
for one computer. One has the adapter to convert 35mm slides to scans.

Pretty much the same size here , 33" x 5' and it is 'FULL'. 2 scanners
stacked, the old, big, document H.P. scanned and it's SCSI card are
stored. With the scanners, printer, KB, big CRT monitor, and the tower
case my desk if full up and I can barely get any paper on it unless I
flip the keyboard on it's side for a while.

Bill Baka

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Bill wrote:

Was that EGA level pictures way back then?

Hercules monochrome & CGA. I think EGA was a year or two later. Did
you ever see an IBM PGA monitor?

I was using my Visioneer 4400 USB scanner to scan parts for my
website, before I bought a camera with a good macro function.

Same here, especially if you want to sell anything on Ebay.

I considered that, but I'm not sure if it's worth all the trouble. I
give a lot of things away on the local Freecycle, rather than fool with
boxing things and dragging them to the post office. I am 100% disabled,
and so far, it hasn't been worth the pain or trouble for a few dollars.

Pretty much the same size here , 33" x 5' and it is 'FULL'. 2 scanners
stacked, the old, big, document H.P. scanned and it's SCSI card are
stored. With the scanners, printer, KB, big CRT monitor, and the tower
case my desk if full up and I can barely get any paper on it unless I
flip the keyboard on it's side for a while.

I'm using a solid oak dining room table for the computers, 21" CRT
monitor (From the HOP website: A 21-inch FD Trinitron tube with a
19.8-inch viewable image, 0.24 mm aperture grill pitch for excellent
graphics and an anti-glare coating to minimize reflection. Supports
video modes up to 2048 x 1536 at 75 Hz refresh rates. Two video inputs
to connect to two PCs.) and the Visioneer 4400 scanner.

I have an old "Telephone stand' next to the table to hold the laser
printer and printing supplies, and a set of plastic shelves on the other
end to hold all the books, software and misc items like the digital
camera, cables and blank media. I am going to replace that with a four
foot wide wire restraint type shelving to hold the computers, UPS and a
second monitor for when I have more than four computers in use. I will
also have room for the photo printer and a few other toys.

Here is an example of the shelving:
http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=168602
The price is reasonable, but it is a heavy box, and difficult for me to
handle. At least my current pickup truck is big enough to haul it home.
I had to have the last one loaded in the truck at the store, then unpack
it and carry in the pieces, but I made it.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Sporadic E is the Earth's aluminum foil beanie for the 'global warming'
sheep.
Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
OK, a bit off topic but may apply to others at universities as they
upgrade their computer
systems.

So UPenn and Drexel have pulled the plug on their USENET news
servers. I'm looking for recommendations on newsgroup access,
preferably via GNUS, which many consider antiquated, as far as I can
tell, it is 10 times faster to read and post than using the fancy GUI
"modern" alternatives.

Thanks!

I've been using news.astraweb.com as of late, mostly for binaries groups
though, since my ISP dropped binary groups (damn Telus).
What I like about them, is you can buy a 110GB block for $25, that never
expires. I would imagine if you mostly use text news groups that this would
last almost forever.

Mike

Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 23:39:04 -0600, "Mike Anton"
wrote:

I've been using news.astraweb.com as of late, mostly for binaries groups
though, since my ISP dropped binary groups (damn Telus).
What I like about them, is you can buy a 110GB block for $25, that never
expires. I would imagine if you mostly use text news groups that this would
last almost forever.

Not so much "almost". A couple dozen text newsgroups is likely to be under
a megabyte a day, certainly under ten. So we could easily be talking about
30 to 300 years or so.. which is likely to be longer than the lifetime of
the company in question.

Jasper
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

Lava wrote:

msg wrote:
Bryce wrote:

snip

My ISP dropped usenet recently and I
have been using (including right now) news.motzarella.org, which is
free with registration. For free without registration, there's
news.aioe.org.

Search the archives of this N.G. before recommending 'aioe.org';
recent unfortunate activity from its users resulted in that
serivce dropping sci.electronics.repair.

Michael

Hmm, this is a test posting to sci.electronics.repair from aioe.org due
to the above claim.

AIOE blocked it for a while after complaints about hundreds of forged
messages were posted through their servers. In fact, all of the
sci.electronics.* groups were blocked.

AIOE blocked alt.support.ocd after a certain dumb****, Stephany Alexander,
sent several posts in a short period of time.
--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Sporadic E is the Earth's aluminum foil beanie for the 'global warming'
sheep.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Kendra Weissbein" wrote in message

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

Lava wrote:

msg wrote:
Bryce wrote:

snip

[...]

**** Kendra Weissbein. She is a mother****ing chicken****er.

Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair

*Repair | Main Table of Contents:http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/
+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/lasersam.htm
* * * * | Mirror Sites:http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header
above is
ignored unless my full name AND either lasers or electronics is
included in the
subject line. *Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the
FAQs.

Why not use Google Groups. It's just an ordinary web site that you
can see with an ordinary browser so I know you'd be able to get it at
your university. It has several advantages over others I've seen.
There is a search engine built in so that you can search just that
group, or all groups, going back to 1994. Very handy. Plus you can
sort by date or relevance. Also it lets you display newsgroup
messages with the reply tree shown on the left so you know what
messages were responses to which other messages. It also has a bunch
of other options for displaying various selected information (e.g.
headers) in various different ways (titles only or short summary, with
or without tree, etc.) Plus, when you sign in, at the bottom of the
lists of all groups you've chosen to monitor, it will give you a list
of those of your message threads that have had new responses. That's
good so you don't forget a thread that you replied to and you can see
what others have added - otherwise you might forget about it.
Regards,
ImageAnalyst
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Stephany Alexander" wrote in message

"Kendra Weissbein" wrote in message

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

Lava wrote:

msg wrote:
Bryce wrote:

snip

[...]

Go wash your pussy, you ****ing stinking ****.

Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair

ImageAnalyst wrote:
On Jul 1, 10:45�am, wrote:
[...]

That's what I am using now. But although GG will email links to new
postings
on a daily basis, it's definitely a lot less convenient and more time
consuming to
read them than emacs/gnus. In particular, the links don't display the
lastest
posting, only part of the original, additional steps are needed to
even know if
it's of any interest. Grrrrrr - Progress!

And then there's the really annoying "convince us you're a human". I
can't read
half the stuff they put there!

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header
above is
ignored unless my full name AND either lasers or electronics is
included in the
subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the
FAQs.

Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 11, 7:55Â*pm, wrote:
ImageAnalyst wrote:
On Jul 1, 10:45�am, wrote:
OK, a bit off topic but may apply to others at universities as they
upgrade their computer
systems.

So UPenn and Drexel have pulled the plug on their USENET news
servers. �I'm looking for recommendations on newsgroup access,
preferably via GNUS, which many consider antiquated, as far as I can
tell, it is 10 times faster to read and post than using the fancy GUI
"modern" alternatives.

Thanks!

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:http://www.repairfaq.org/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------Â*-
Why not use Google Groups. Â*It's just an ordinary web site that you
can see with an ordinary browser so I know you'd be able to get it at
your university. Â*It has several advantages over others I've seen.
There is a search engine built in so that you can search just that
group, or all groups, going back to 1994. Â*Very handy. Â*Plus you can
sort by date or relevance. Â*Also it lets you display newsgroup
messages with the reply tree shown on the left so you know what
messages were responses to which other messages. Â*It also has a bunch
of other options for displaying various selected information (e.g.
headers) in various different ways (titles only or short summary, with
or without tree, etc.) Â*Plus, when you sign in, at the bottom of the
lists of all groups you've chosen to monitor, it will give you a list
of those of your message threads that have had new responses. Â*That's
good so you don't forget a thread that you replied to and you can see
what others have added - otherwise you might forget about it.
Regards,
ImageAnalyst

That's what I am using now. Â*But although GG will email links to new
postings
on a daily basis, it's definitely a lot less convenient and more time
consuming to
read them than emacs/gnus. Â*In particular, the links don't display the
lastest
posting, only part of the original, additional steps are needed to
even know if
it's of any interest. Â*Grrrrrr - Progress!

And then there's the really annoying "convince us you're a human". Â*I
can't read
half the stuff they put there!

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:http://www.repairfaq.org/
Â*Repair | Main Table of Contents:http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/
+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/lasersam.htm
Â* Â* Â* Â* | Mirror Sites:http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

I agree - that sounds like a big pain. I'm glad I don't use Google
Groups in that way. Doing it through email sounds like a definite
last resort way of doing it. I don't have them email me anything.
When I want to see groups, I just go to groups.google.com. It lists
what's new in the list and lists which threads I've participated in at
the bottom. I don't need any email alerts because I visit every day
and I see what's new on the web site. Why don't you just visit the
web site?
Regards,
ImageAnalyst
Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair

ImageAnalyst wrote:
On Jul 11, 7:55 pm, wrote:
ImageAnalyst wrote:
On Jul 1, 10:45�am, wrote:
> [...]

And then there's the really annoying "convince us you're a human". I
can't read
half the stuff they put there!

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:http://www.repairfaq.org/
Repair | Main Table of Contents:http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/
+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/lasersam.htm
| Mirror Sites:http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

I agree - that sounds like a big pain. I'm glad I don't use Google
Groups in that way. Doing it through email sounds like a definite
last resort way of doing it. I don't have them email me anything.
When I want to see groups, I just go to groups.google.com. It lists
what's new in the list and lists which threads I've participated in at
the bottom. I don't need any email alerts because I visit every day
and I see what's new on the web site. Why don't you just visit the

I have links set up also but the email sort of seemed easier. But
maybe
your're right. It sounds like you have more options set up though.
What
are they?

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header
above is
ignored unless my full name AND either lasers or electronics is
included in the
subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the
FAQs.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 07:45:07 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
OK, a bit off topic but may apply to others at universities as they
upgrade their computer systems.

?? "upgrade" ?? More like dumb-down....

So UPenn and Drexel have pulled the plug on their USENET news
servers. I'm looking for recommendations on newsgroup access,

http://individual.net/overview.php

Which I've been with for nearly 6 years now -- using text-based slrn.
So I'd guess your GNUS ought to Fit Right In.

Jonesy

Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair

David Lesher writes:

writes:

So UPenn and Drexel have pulled the plug on their USENET news
servers. I'm looking for recommendations on newsgroup access,
preferably via GNUS, which many consider antiquated, as far as I can
tell, it is 10 times faster to read and post than using the fancy GUI
"modern" alternatives.

Get a Panix account http://www.panix.com/shell.html

That's something to consider.

Thanks!

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:
http://www.repairfaq.org/

Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Samuel M. Goldwasser wrote:
David Lesher writes:

writes:

So UPenn and Drexel have pulled the plug on their USENET news
servers. I'm looking for recommendations on newsgroup access,
preferably via GNUS, which many consider antiquated, as far as I can
tell, it is 10 times faster to read and post than using the fancy GUI
"modern" alternatives.

Get a Panix account http://www.panix.com/shell.html

That's something to consider.

Thanks!

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:
http://www.repairfaq.org/

And then use "trn4" as your newsreader.

David

Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair

(David Combs) writes:

In article ,
Samuel M. Goldwasser wrote:
David Lesher writes:

writes:

So UPenn and Drexel have pulled the plug on their USENET news
servers. I'm looking for recommendations on newsgroup access,
preferably via GNUS, which many consider antiquated, as far as I can
tell, it is 10 times faster to read and post than using the fancy GUI
"modern" alternatives.

Get a Panix account http://www.panix.com/shell.html

That's something to consider.

Thanks!

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:
http://www.repairfaq.org/

And then use "trn4" as your newsreader.

What's wrong with emacs?

Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Samuel M. Goldwasser wrote:
(David Combs) writes:

In article ,
Samuel M. Goldwasser wrote:
David Lesher writes:

writes:

So UPenn and Drexel have pulled the plug on their USENET news
servers. I'm looking for recommendations on newsgroup access,
preferably via GNUS, which many consider antiquated, as far as I can
tell, it is 10 times faster to read and post than using the fancy GUI
"modern" alternatives.

Get a Panix account http://www.panix.com/shell.html

That's something to consider.

Thanks!

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:
http://www.repairfaq.org/

And then use "trn4" as your newsreader.

What's wrong with emacs?

I love emacs -- use it virtually every second I'm on the
computer (except when on the net, browsing; then it *must*
be lynx (line-mode).

Never tried it for newsgroups -- gnus?

This trn is *so* good and *so* fast, with nifty-keen wee
graph showing "you are here" among read and non-read posts,
man is it cool. Give it a try -- better, have someone show
it to you.

David