PMarks1694

Default AOl to discontinue newsgroup access

The AOL Newsgroup service will be discontinued in early 2005.

For members using AOL over a dial-up connection, you will no longer be able to
access Newsgroups. If you have a separate high-speed connection, you can
contact your broadband provider to see if they offer Newsgroups. Newsgroup
services can often be accessed through a third party reader, such as Mozilla
Thunderbird (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/).

Alternatively, you can access Newsgroups via Google at
http://groups.google.com/.

We apologize for this inconvenience.

Ken Moon

"PMarks1694" wrote in message
The AOL Newsgroup service will be discontinued in early 2005.

For members using AOL over a dial-up connection, you will no longer be
able to
access Newsgroups. If you have a separate high-speed connection, you can
contact your broadband provider to see if they offer Newsgroups. Newsgroup
services can often be accessed through a third party reader, such as
Mozilla
Thunderbird (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/).

Alternatively, you can access Newsgroups via Google at
http://groups.google.com/.

We apologize for this inconvenience.

I would try Google only as a last resort. When I was using it last year, I
found it to be very SLOOOW.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX

Bruce Ferguson

Ii went over to dslextreme.com and have had no problems with news groups or
email. Seems like the spam has gotten smaller also or it may be they have
not refound me since I moved. Looks like the price for dslextreme.com has
gone down since I signed up..

Bruce
"PMarks1694" wrote in message
The AOL Newsgroup service will be discontinued in early 2005.

For members using AOL over a dial-up connection, you will no longer be
able to
access Newsgroups. If you have a separate high-speed connection, you can
contact your broadband provider to see if they offer Newsgroups. Newsgroup
services can often be accessed through a third party reader, such as
Mozilla
Thunderbird (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/).

Alternatively, you can access Newsgroups via Google at
http://groups.google.com/.

We apologize for this inconvenience.

Lem Bledsoe

Here is a link to CNET's article about AOL and newsgroups.

Another good reason not to use AOL

http://news.com.com/AOL+shutting+dow...3-5550036.html

Earl

I just use a computer to get done what I want to do and find the
easiest way to get to this newsgroup is through google. That way you
don't need anything but to go to the interenet and then google. The
address below is bookmarked. It's that easy.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...F-8&edition=us

Andrew Barss

Anonymous wrote:
: On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 15:09:30 +0000, PMarks1694 wrote:

: The AOL Newsgroup service will be discontinued in early 2005.
:
: This posting is written from the perspective of AOL ("We apologize for
: this inconvenience.")

No, it's written from the perspective of an AOL customer, who has been (correctly)
informed that AOL is discontinuing all newgroup feeds.

but the subject line contains a typo and the return
: address is not an 'official' AOL business email address.

And yours is a real email address?

It is, therefore,
: almost certainly not a direct posting to this newsgroup by AOL.

Right -- it's by a customer of theirs.

: Its authenticity is open to question.

Not if you check around the Web.

: Bill

-- Andy
Bill Day

On 25 Jan 2005 21:35:33 -0800, "Earl" wrote:

I just use a computer to get done what I want to do and find the
easiest way to get to this newsgroup is through google. That way you
don't need anything but to go to the interenet and then google. The
address below is bookmarked. It's that easy.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...F-8&edition=us

but in Google, you can't control the way threads are sorted nor choose
special screen layouts like you can with a real newsreader...and many
other features....It is fine if you have no real alternatives, but
boy, you get VERY spoiled very fast with Agent, or Firebird or any
full-featured newsreader.
Fred Holder

I've been using newsguy.com for many years. You read the newsgroups in your web
browser with the newsguy format. It is much better than any news reader that
I've tried. Unfortunately, it does cost about $35.00 a year. I consider that
money well spent.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com

In article , Bill Day says...

On 25 Jan 2005 21:35:33 -0800, "Earl" wrote:

I just use a computer to get done what I want to do and find the
easiest way to get to this newsgroup is through google. That way you
don't need anything but to go to the interenet and then google. The
address below is bookmarked. It's that easy.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...F-8&edition=us

but in Google, you can't control the way threads are sorted nor choose
special screen layouts like you can with a real newsreader...and many
other features....It is fine if you have no real alternatives, but
boy, you get VERY spoiled very fast with Agent, or Firebird or any
full-featured newsreader.

J. Clarke

Fred Holder wrote:

I've been using newsguy.com for many years. You read the newsgroups in
your web browser with the newsguy format.

I've been using newsguy for many years too. I didn't even know they had
that capability.

It is much better than any news
reader that I've tried.

I just took a look at their Web interface. If that's better than any
newsreader that you've tried you've tried some pretty miserable excuses for
newsreaders.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)