Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] sam@ece.drexel.edu is offline

Default Recommended USENET newsgroup access

ImageAnalyst wrote:
On Jul 1, 10:45�am, wrote:
OK, a bit off topic but may apply to others at universities as they
upgrade their computer
systems.

So UPenn and Drexel have pulled the plug on their USENET news
servers. �I'm looking for recommendations on newsgroup access,
preferably via GNUS, which many consider antiquated, as far as I can
tell, it is 10 times faster to read and post than using the fancy GUI
"modern" alternatives.

Thanks!

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:http://www.repairfaq.org/

Why not use Google Groups. It's just an ordinary web site that you
can see with an ordinary browser so I know you'd be able to get it at
your university. It has several advantages over others I've seen.
There is a search engine built in so that you can search just that
group, or all groups, going back to 1994. Very handy. Plus you can
sort by date or relevance. Also it lets you display newsgroup
messages with the reply tree shown on the left so you know what
messages were responses to which other messages. It also has a bunch
of other options for displaying various selected information (e.g.
headers) in various different ways (titles only or short summary, with
or without tree, etc.) Plus, when you sign in, at the bottom of the
lists of all groups you've chosen to monitor, it will give you a list
of those of your message threads that have had new responses. That's
good so you don't forget a thread that you replied to and you can see
what others have added - otherwise you might forget about it.
Regards,
ImageAnalyst

That's what I am using now. But although GG will email links to new
postings
on a daily basis, it's definitely a lot less convenient and more time
consuming to
read them than emacs/gnus. In particular, the links don't display the
lastest
posting, only part of the original, additional steps are needed to
even know if
it's of any interest. Grrrrrr - Progress!

And then there's the really annoying "convince us you're a human". I
can't read
half the stuff they put there!

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header
above is
ignored unless my full name AND either lasers or electronics is
included in the
subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the
FAQs.