Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair
ImageAnalyst ImageAnalyst is offline

Default Recommended USENET newsgroup access

On Jul 11, 7:55Â*pm, wrote:
ImageAnalyst wrote:
On Jul 1, 10:45�am, wrote:
OK, a bit off topic but may apply to others at universities as they
upgrade their computer
systems.

So UPenn and Drexel have pulled the plug on their USENET news
servers. �I'm looking for recommendations on newsgroup access,
preferably via GNUS, which many consider antiquated, as far as I can
tell, it is 10 times faster to read and post than using the fancy GUI
"modern" alternatives.

Thanks!

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:http://www.repairfaq.org/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------Â*-
Why not use Google Groups. Â*It's just an ordinary web site that you
can see with an ordinary browser so I know you'd be able to get it at
your university. Â*It has several advantages over others I've seen.
There is a search engine built in so that you can search just that
group, or all groups, going back to 1994. Â*Very handy. Â*Plus you can
sort by date or relevance. Â*Also it lets you display newsgroup
messages with the reply tree shown on the left so you know what
messages were responses to which other messages. Â*It also has a bunch
of other options for displaying various selected information (e.g.
headers) in various different ways (titles only or short summary, with
or without tree, etc.) Â*Plus, when you sign in, at the bottom of the
lists of all groups you've chosen to monitor, it will give you a list
of those of your message threads that have had new responses. Â*That's
good so you don't forget a thread that you replied to and you can see
what others have added - otherwise you might forget about it.
Regards,
ImageAnalyst

That's what I am using now. Â*But although GG will email links to new
postings
on a daily basis, it's definitely a lot less convenient and more time
consuming to
read them than emacs/gnus. Â*In particular, the links don't display the
lastest
posting, only part of the original, additional steps are needed to
even know if
it's of any interest. Â*Grrrrrr - Progress!

And then there's the really annoying "convince us you're a human". Â*I
can't read
half the stuff they put there!

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:http://www.repairfaq.org/
Â*Repair | Main Table of Contents:http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/
+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/lasersam.htm
Â* Â* Â* Â* | Mirror Sites:http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

I agree - that sounds like a big pain. I'm glad I don't use Google
Groups in that way. Doing it through email sounds like a definite
last resort way of doing it. I don't have them email me anything.
When I want to see groups, I just go to groups.google.com. It lists
what's new in the list and lists which threads I've participated in at
the bottom. I don't need any email alerts because I visit every day
and I see what's new on the web site. Why don't you just visit the
web site?
Regards,
ImageAnalyst