Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Newsgroup access

Google keeps di--ing about with its web interface, and has finally
produceed its masterpiece, which has a large mostly blank screen with a
little text box in the middle, containing only 7 lines, and narrower
than even a single line. Farce is surely the word.

Oh, and I cant even see all this message as I type it!

Are there still any free news servers operating? any recommendations?

cheers, NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 Jan 2007 20:22:46 -0800, "Weatherlawyer"

| Google keeps di--ing about with its web interface, and has finally
| produceed its masterpiece, which has a large mostly blank screen with a
| little text box in the middle, containing only 7 lines, and narrower
| than even a single line. Farce is surely the word.
|
| Oh, and I cant even see all this message as I type it!
|
| Are there still any free news servers operating? any recommendations?
|
|I am not happy with it too neither. It reminds me of a previous
|incarnation. I suppose there must be a good reason for the feck ups
|they introduce. And doubtless when the techs finish pulling their heads
|out of wherever it is they got them together, things might become
|manageable once more.
|
|There are a number of free online servers. Why not Google for them?

All web based methods of reading usenet are IME cr*p. see sig.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 24, 7:58 am, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:

All web based methods of reading usenet are IME cr*p.

Yes they are, but if you're using a network where Port 119 is closed,
and/or you're in an Internet cafe etc, you've got no choice.

nntp.aioe.org is supposed to work through Port 80, but I've never been
able to make it work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 24, 1:48 am, wrote:
Google keeps di--ing about with its web interface, and has finally
produceed its masterpiece, which has a large mostly blank screen with a
little text box in the middle, containing only 7 lines, and narrower
than even a single line. Farce is surely the word.

Oh, and I cant even see all this message as I type it!

It's fine from where I'm looking. Probably your browser.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ups.com...
wrote:

All web based methods of reading usenet are IME cr*p.

Yes they are, but if you're using a network where Port 119 is closed,
and/or you're in an Internet cafe etc, you've got no choice.

nntp.aioe.org is supposed to work through Port 80, but I've never been
able to make it work.

I use nntp.aioe.org all the time through Port 119 with no problems. It has
occasionally gone off-line, but never for any extended periods. It's free
and allows posting.

John Miller

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

I notice that the word "beta" has now vanished from the URL - whatever
that may signify!

No longa beta means it's now wurs.

I do not like it one little bit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Holy crp, googles reply box is now a massive 11 characters wide!!

I signed up to motzarella (sp), and am using Oopera 9, but the
procedure opera says to subscribe to a newsgroup doesnt work cos it
aint listed. Only posenet and motzarella groups are listed. Any clues
welcomed!

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 24, 10:57 am, Alex wrote:
wrote:
Are there still any free news servers operating? any recommendations?Does your ISP not provide one?

Yes, he's on NTL apparently, which does indeed provide a news server,
as I suggested yesterday. Don't know what the issue is with not using
it - I do so all the time.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Jan, 06:02, nog wrote:

Please configure your newsreader to access
news.motzarella.org
The port number is 119. This is the standard port number for news servers
and should be set as a default in your client. You also have to configure
your client to use the userid and password you will soon receive by email.
If you are only able to select groups in the

motzarella.*
and posenet.*

hierarchies, your news client has connected to the server without sending
the userid and password. Please refer to your newsreader's documentation
for information on how to configure server access with authentication or
check the FAQ

In case of problems or questions don't hesitate to conatct
.

Thank you Nog, will do that

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

On Jan 24, 10:57 am, Alex wrote:

wrote:

Are there still any free news servers operating? any recommendations?Does your ISP not provide one?

Yes, he's on NTL apparently, which does indeed provide a news server,
as I suggested yesterday. Don't know what the issue is with not using
it - I do so all the time.

David

Can't ntl users still get at blueyonder's servers? Their text server
(news-text.blueyonder.com IIRC) wasn't too bad when I was on it.

Chris

--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with btinternet dot com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hodges wrote:
Lobster wrote:

On Jan 24, 10:57 am, Alex wrote:

wrote:

Are there still any free news servers operating? any
recommendations?Does your ISP not provide one?

Yes, he's on NTL apparently, which does indeed provide a news server,
as I suggested yesterday. Don't know what the issue is with not using
it - I do so all the time.

Can't ntl users still get at blueyonder's servers? Their text server
(news-text.blueyonder.com IIRC) wasn't too bad when I was on it.

Dunno, but still not sure why an ntl user would want to use that anyway
given the existence of a (binary) ntl server!

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
Chris Hodges wrote:

Lobster wrote:

On Jan 24, 10:57 am, Alex wrote:

wrote:

Are there still any free news servers operating? any
recommendations?Does your ISP not provide one?

Yes, he's on NTL apparently, which does indeed provide a news server,
as I suggested yesterday. Don't know what the issue is with not using
it - I do so all the time.

Can't ntl users still get at blueyonder's servers? Their text server
(news-text.blueyonder.com IIRC) wasn't too bad when I was on it.

Dunno, but still not sure why an ntl user would want to use that anyway
given the existence of a (binary) ntl server!

David

by's got a binary server as well. the text server was faster, more
reliable and has better retention (or even just retention at all).

--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with btinternet dot com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris Hodges
writes
by's got a binary server as well. the text server was faster, more
reliable and has better retention (or even just retention at all).

Except that text.news.by went spectacularly tits-up a few days ago
(needed a new clockwork key from Korea or summat) and there's nothing
more than a week old on it now.
--
Keith
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Keith wrote:
In message , Chris Hodges
writes

by's got a binary server as well. the text server was faster, more
reliable and has better retention (or even just retention at all).

Except that text.news.by went spectacularly tits-up a few days ago
(needed a new clockwork key from Korea or summat) and there's nothing
more than a week old on it now.

shame, that was a decent server (better than bt's for speed anyway).