Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Stauffer

Default New Newsgroup?

I have a novel idea. How about a recreational metalworking group for
talking about metalworking. Off topic discussions are not a problem
with a group that has a dozen posts a day, but this group has over three
hundred a day. It is getting too hard to seperate the wheat from the chaff!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Schwab

Don Stauffer wrote:
I have a novel idea. How about a recreational metalworking group for
talking about metalworking. Off topic discussions are not a problem
with a group that has a dozen posts a day, but this group has over three
hundred a day. It is getting too hard to seperate the wheat from the chaff!

Point taken. From my own early experience, I found this group before
buying a mill, and decided not to post here because of the noise level.
Yahoo groups have not worked for me for some time (somebody added me
to a particiular group and that was it), so I couldn't get to the
mill-drill forum, and finally posted here as a "last resort". The
merrits of the group were soon obvious, but I wonder how many others are
scared off.

One option might be to charter a rec.crafts.metalworking.soapbox or
something like that, and gently encourage the truly OT stuff to go there???

Now, about the Supreme Court...

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

Don Stauffer wrote:

How about a recreational metalworking group for talking about
metalworking.

Now I know why there are so many OTs.
People see the "rec" in rec.crafts.metalworking and think this is the
recreational sub-group for metalworking. ;-)

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
steamer

--Learn how to write a kill file and all your troubles will go
away..

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : I can make damn near anything
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : ...except money, sigh.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Schwab

steamer wrote:
--Learn how to write a kill file and all your troubles will go
away..

Not really. Kill files don't make judgements.

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

In article , Don Stauffer says...

I have a novel idea. How about a recreational metalworking group for
talking about metalworking.

Works for me, try this:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi

There's some OT crap but it's confined to one sub-forum.
And yes, it's moderated. Whack-O politics not allowed,
only metalworking.

Jim

please reply to:
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Carmine Castiglia

Practically anyone can initiate the creation of a new newsgroup. Depending
upon the chosen hierarchy (comp., rec., alt., and so on), the likelihood of
the new group actually being implemented may be slim or it may be a
slam-dunk.

A good place to start would be at
http://newsflash.concordia.ca/public...newsgroup.html

Carmine Castiglia
InfosystemsPro LLC
PalmOS apps for engineers and machinists.
http://www.infosystemspro.com

"Don Stauffer" wrote in message
I have a novel idea. How about a recreational metalworking group for
talking about metalworking. Off topic discussions are not a problem with a
group that has a dozen posts a day, but this group has over three hundred a
day. It is getting too hard to seperate the wheat from the chaff!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Anthony

Don Stauffer wrote in
:

I have a novel idea. How about a recreational metalworking group for
talking about metalworking. Off topic discussions are not a problem
with a group that has a dozen posts a day, but this group has over
three hundred a day. It is getting too hard to seperate the wheat from
the chaff!

Nah....relatively easy, get a decent news reader, and set some filters.
If you filter cliff and gunner, you will only see about 40-50 mostly on-
topic posts a day.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rastus

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 13:30:05 -0800, jim rozen wrote:

In article , Don Stauffer says...

I have a novel idea. How about a recreational metalworking group for
talking about metalworking.

Works for me, try this:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi

There's some OT crap but it's confined to one sub-forum.
And yes, it's moderated. Whack-O politics not allowed,
only metalworking.

Jim

What... you only come over here to take a crap?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

In article , Rastus says...

What... you only come over here to take a crap?

Hey, gunner sets the tone. I just conform.

Jim

please reply to:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On 30 Jan 2006 15:41:16 -0800, jim rozen wrote:
In article , Rastus says...

What... you only come over here to take a crap?

Hey, gunner sets the tone. I just conform.

Jim, most people grow out of _that_ defense when they're still in grade
school.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tony

I agree, between the off topic posts and spam the noise level is too high
at RCM. Especially when we have these lamers posting Armed Citizen stories,
or questions on how to pattern a shotgun. Like just because they shoot guns
we're supposed to be impressed.

go to the practicalmachinst group, it's moderated, and I learn much more
stuff there.

"Don Stauffer" wrote in message
I have a novel idea. How about a recreational metalworking group for
talking about metalworking. Off topic discussions are not a problem
with a group that has a dozen posts a day, but this group has over three
hundred a day. It is getting too hard to seperate the wheat from the

chaff!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

In article , Tony says...

I agree, between the off topic posts and spam the noise level is too high
at RCM. Especially when we have these lamers posting Armed Citizen stories,
or questions on how to pattern a shotgun. Like just because they shoot guns
we're supposed to be impressed.

go to the practicalmachinst group, it's moderated, and I learn much more
stuff there.

Oddly, there's a gunsmithing sub-group there, and it would have
been an entirely appropriate discussion for there. I really
didn't think it that odd for rcm to talk about patterning
a shotgun. Some of the knowledgeable regulars gave very good
advice, and I thought it was a welcome respite from the business
as usual.

But anyway, that group really is great, partly because it *is*
moderated.

Jim

please reply to:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On 30 Jan 2006 15:41:16 -0800, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Rastus says...

What... you only come over here to take a crap?

Hey, gunner sets the tone. I just conform.

Jim

****...thats about the lamest excuse for your delight in arguing that
Ive ever seen.

Gunner

"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her tits"
John Griffin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 21:17:42 -0500, "Tony"
wrote:

I agree, between the off topic posts and spam the noise level is too high
at RCM. Especially when we have these lamers posting Armed Citizen stories,
or questions on how to pattern a shotgun. Like just because they shoot guns
we're supposed to be impressed.

You dont think patterning a shotgun involves metalworking? Odd..then
by that same token..any questions about say..how to keep musical
instrament brass shiney should be forbotten.

I think Im gonna make you my hobby..and remind you when you post
something thats not machining related.

Btw..it appears that you have some issues with firearms. Id not be
surprised if you trot out the Guns is Steel Penis crapola.

Gunner

go to the practicalmachinst group, it's moderated, and I learn much more
stuff there.

"Don Stauffer" wrote in message
I have a novel idea. How about a recreational metalworking group for
talking about metalworking. Off topic discussions are not a problem
with a group that has a dozen posts a day, but this group has over three
hundred a day. It is getting too hard to seperate the wheat from the

chaff!

"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her tits"
John Griffin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Stauffer

steamer wrote:
--Learn how to write a kill file and all your troubles will go
away..

Is there such a thing as an a priori kill file? One that will guess
what off-topic discussions will come up? I could write a kill file to
kill anything with OT in it, but not all OT discussions have OT in
subject line.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 21:17:42 -0500, Tony wrote:
I agree, between the off topic posts and spam the noise level is too high
at RCM. Especially when we have these lamers posting Armed Citizen stories,
or questions on how to pattern a shotgun. Like just because they shoot guns
we're supposed to be impressed.

There's this thing, Tony, called a "subject:" line. It tells people
(nominally) what the thread is about. If you're not interested in
gunsmithing, skip the ones with the word "gun" in them. Just an idea.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

In article , Gunner says...

****...thats about the lamest excuse for your delight in arguing

Heck I thought you would have been overjoyed, you've been declared
the mayor of rcm....

Jim

please reply to:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 08:54:38 -0600, Don Stauffer wrote:

Is there such a thing as an a priori kill file? One that will guess
what off-topic discussions will come up? I could write a kill file to
kill anything with OT in it, but not all OT discussions have OT in
subject line.

Well, they're additive. So you could kill any post that has two or more
commas in the Newsgroups: line (takes out posts crossposted to 3 or more
groups), any post with OT: in the subject line, any post from particular
individuals, and so on. Keep adding until you get the desired
signal:noise ratio. Will you miss some signal? Sure. Usenet is huge,
you're missing signal all the time. But pick what and who you don't
want to read, and programatically ignore them, and _your_ Usenet
improves.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tony

Gunner,

I didn't mention you directly but since you opted to jump in ...

Life Member NRA here, NYS Lifetime Hunting License, hunted in AK & Canada,
USN Silver E Rifle & Pistol,even went to Knob Creek 3x, (one time slept in
the back seat of a minivan at the Shoneys cause all the motels were booked).
So if I want guntalk i'll check out the many gunboards or rec.guns

And patterning a shotgun thread has as much metal working content as a
discussion about using aluminum foil to heat heat leftovers.

Btw..it appears that you have some issues with firearms. Id not be
surprised if you trot out the Guns is Steel Penis crapola.

If the shoe fits........

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to Dave Hinz :
On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 08:54:38 -0600, Don Stauffer wrote:

Is there such a thing as an a priori kill file? One that will guess
what off-topic discussions will come up? I could write a kill file to
kill anything with OT in it, but not all OT discussions have OT in
subject line.

Well, they're additive. So you could kill any post that has two or more
commas in the Newsgroups: line (takes out posts crossposted to 3 or more
groups), any post with OT: in the subject line

One problem with that last one is that Outlook Express (and
possibly some other software which pretends to be a newsreader, but I've
only verified it on OE) take *any* two-letter pair followed by a colon
':' as being "" in some language or other, strips it off, and
replaces it with its own "". I've seen it happen *many* times in
this newsgroup.

So -- something other than "OT:" is needed. Perhaps "[OT]" will
work well enough, and not be wiped off branches of the thread map by
anyone replying with OE as a newsreader.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 21:51:17 -0500, "Tony"
wrote:

Gunner,

I didn't mention you directly but since you opted to jump in ...

Life Member NRA here, NYS Lifetime Hunting License, hunted in AK & Canada,
USN Silver E Rifle & Pistol,even went to Knob Creek 3x, (one time slept in
the back seat of a minivan at the Shoneys cause all the motels were booked).
So if I want guntalk i'll check out the many gunboards or rec.guns

And patterning a shotgun thread has as much metal working content as a
discussion about using aluminum foil to heat heat leftovers.

Btw..it appears that you have some issues with firearms. Id not be
surprised if you trot out the Guns is Steel Penis crapola.

If the shoe fits........

So you are claiming that Guns are a penis subsitute?

Gunner

Gunner

"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her tits"
John Griffin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On 31 Jan 2006 07:33:05 -0800, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Gunner says...

****...thats about the lamest excuse for your delight in arguing

Heck I thought you would have been overjoyed, you've been declared
the mayor of rcm....

Jim

By whom? If anyone would be God like here..it would be our resident
genius Don Foreman.

Even his shoelaces are smarter than many here..including myself.

Gunner

"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her tits"
John Griffin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 21:51:17 -0500, Tony wrote:
Gunner,

I didn't mention you directly but since you opted to jump in ...

It's a public newsgroup, Tony, if you have confused this with email
perhaps that would explain your expectations for otherwise.

And patterning a shotgun thread has as much metal working content as a
discussion about using aluminum foil to heat heat leftovers.

So, what reamer technique should I use while changing the pattern on a
fixed-choke shotgun? See? Not even gratuitous.

Oh, and did you know, Tony, that when you top-post your responses, it
****s up the flow, context, and quoting of your messages? Is that
intentional?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

In article , Gunner says...

Heck I thought you would have been overjoyed, you've been declared
the mayor of rcm....

By whom? If anyone would be God like here..it would be our resident
genius Don Foreman.

Even his shoelaces are smarter than many here..including myself.

Agreed. But you are again making the mistake that being a
consumate polictican means one is smart. Sometimes those are
kinda skew line sort of things. They amost meet, but not
quite....

Jim

please reply to:
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

wrote:
Gunner,

I didn't mention you directly but since you opted to jump in ...

It's a public newsgroup, Tony, if you have confused this with email
perhaps that would explain your expectations for otherwise.

And patterning a shotgun thread has as much metal working content as a
discussion about using aluminum foil to heat heat leftovers.

So, what reamer technique should I use while changing the pattern on a
fixed-choke shotgun? See? Not even gratuitous.

Oh, and did you know, Tony, that when you top-post your responses, it
****s up the flow, context, and quoting of your messages? Is that
intentional?

Dave wants a political job here, too. He's running for Minister of Bad
Moods.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 05:51:24 +0000, DoN. Nichols wrote:
According to Dave Hinz :

Well, they're additive. So you could kill any post that has two or more
commas in the Newsgroups: line (takes out posts crossposted to 3 or more
groups), any post with OT: in the subject line

One problem with that last one is that Outlook Express (and
possibly some other software which pretends to be a newsreader, but I've
only verified it on OE) take *any* two-letter pair followed by a colon
':' as being "" in some language or other, strips it off, and
replaces it with its own "". I've seen it happen *many* times in
this newsgroup.

You have _got_ to be kidding. (said in an amazed, WTF were they
thinking kind of a way, not in a "I don't believe you, DoN" kind of way)

So -- something other than "OT:" is needed. Perhaps "[OT]" will
work well enough, and not be wiped off branches of the thread map by
anyone replying with OE as a newsreader.

Maybe we just nuke Redmond from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
steamer

Dave Hinz wrote:
Maybe we just nuke Redmond from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

--LOL! Good one, heh. Step #1 for anyone using usenet: lose the
click-click-click-web-mouse interface and go for a text-only keyboard
interface.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : I can make damn near anything
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : ...except money, sigh.
http://www.nmpproducts.com/intro.htm
---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On 1 Feb 2006 05:41:12 -0800, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Gunner says...

Heck I thought you would have been overjoyed, you've been declared
the mayor of rcm....

By whom? If anyone would be God like here..it would be our resident
genius Don Foreman.

Even his shoelaces are smarter than many here..including myself.

Agreed. But you are again making the mistake that being a
consumate polictican means one is smart. Sometimes those are
kinda skew line sort of things. They amost meet, but not
quite....

Jim

You are claiming that I have consumate political skills? Blink
blink...

Gunner

"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her tits"
John Griffin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

In article , Gunner says...

You are claiming that I have consumate political skills?

Hey, you're the mayor.

I think though second prize is being the mayor, twice.

Jim

please reply to: