Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

Default New Newsgroup?

According to Dave Hinz :
On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 08:54:38 -0600, Don Stauffer wrote:

Is there such a thing as an a priori kill file? One that will guess
what off-topic discussions will come up? I could write a kill file to
kill anything with OT in it, but not all OT discussions have OT in
subject line.

Well, they're additive. So you could kill any post that has two or more
commas in the Newsgroups: line (takes out posts crossposted to 3 or more
groups), any post with OT: in the subject line

One problem with that last one is that Outlook Express (and
possibly some other software which pretends to be a newsreader, but I've
only verified it on OE) take *any* two-letter pair followed by a colon
':' as being "" in some language or other, strips it off, and
replaces it with its own "". I've seen it happen *many* times in
this newsgroup.

So -- something other than "OT:" is needed. Perhaps "[OT]" will
work well enough, and not be wiped off branches of the thread map by
anyone replying with OE as a newsreader.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564